Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AllstonEP
    replied
    My father ran the economy runs for Chrysler (or maybe dodge) in the late 1950s. I have the certificates somewhere. He said it took Penzke a couple years to figure it out and then pulled better numbers.
    Last edited by AllstonEP; 09-21-2017, 09:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jts359
    replied
    I wonder how much of the 64 Sport Fury went into the 65 Satilite line ?

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    Thanks for posting this Bob.

I was the original owner of predecessors to the Road Runner - 1964 and 1965 Fury/Sport Fury hardtops with hipo 383s.
    The 1964 may be a 'predecessor' in a sense, but not the 1965, as it was based on the new full-size 'C' body.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Thanks for posting this Bob.

I was the original owner of predecessors to the Road Runner - 1964 and 1965 Fury/Sport Fury hardtops with hipo 383s. After that, I owned a Road Runner/GTX. I was the second owner of my 440 Road Runner. It still had its original horn when I sold it. The last time that I saw the car, it no longer had its beep-beep horn or its unique hood.

I also a owned a Spring Special Satellite with the special top (similar to the Mod Top) and plaid interior.

Leave a comment:

• jts359
    replied
    Back in the day a couple of friends and I were at Suburban Chrysler Plymouth in E.Hanover N.J. , We were lusting over the Road Runners and Gtx's when a salesman calls us over and shows us a picture of the Rear quarter of the Superbird , He said it was a prototype and he wanted to know what we thought of course being 16 or 17 it was cool , none of the other gear heads at school the next day believed us , But shortly there after the Charger Daytona started dominating nascar and we knew the Superbird was coming next ! , Jack Smith RIP

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
    I worked for Spartan Mfg, the maker of the "purple" "beep beep" horn that was used on the Roadrunner cars. "Passionate Purple" was the color used on them and they had a roadrunner bird decal on them. They kept those decals in a secure location as everyone wanted to steal them.

Spartan made most of the horns for Studebaker and AMC.
    Mike Sal
    That's pretty cool, Mike.

I can believe they were stored in a secure location or they'd never have enough left for production!

Thanks for the added info. BP

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sal
    replied
    I worked for Spartan Mfg, the maker of the "purple" "beep beep" horn that was used on the Roadrunner cars. "Passionate Purple" was the color used on them and they had a roadrunner bird decal on them. They kept those decals in a secure location as everyone wanted to steal them.

Spartan made most of the horns for Studebaker and AMC.
    Mike Sal

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    Bob,

Sorry to hear about the loss.

Perhaps you can also inform Bob Ashton, and a small tribute can be made at this year's MCACN for him.

Craig
    Good idea, Craig; I'll do that. Bob

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Bob,

Sorry to hear about the loss.

Perhaps you can also inform Bob Ashton, and a small tribute can be made at this year's MCACN for him.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Father of the Road Runner passes; Studebaker connection

I'd say that anyone who was responsible for Studebaker's highly-successful Mobilgas Economy Run wins in the early and mid-1950s deserves a mention here...and what's not to like about the original 1968 Plymouth Road Runner as well?

https://www.allpar.com/news/2017/09/...d-runner-38461

Thanks to Kevin Wolford for that link, and Rest in Peace, Jack. BP
Working...
X