Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unrestored US6

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Is this the deuce and a half that was owned by Asa Hall for many years? I thought that his had a body (not just a cab), but the Macy's connection sounds familiar. I may have two of these confused.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

    Comment


    • #17
      I know that the exhaust manifold has the Stude wheel logo cast into it. I'll try to get a picture when I get a chance.

      Gary, yes, this was Asa's truck. The '53 2R17 fire truck that's parked in front of the US6 was his as well.

      Comment


      • #18
        I have one of these also. It is in pretty rough condition due to a rough life of civilian work. It still has US NAVY with a number in yellow lettering. I did notice the Studebaker wheel on the manifold. It has the serial number plate on the frame, and is still legible. Does anybody know if the museum has any info available based on serial number?

        Comment


        • #19
          More on US6's here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=benter

          Craig

          Comment


          • #20
            I think the "patina" is more from low quality paint and prep, and less from poor storage. I don't think anyone intended on this truck lasting as long as it has.
            Thanks Matt, I hope nobody thinks I am "dissing" the truck with that comment. Anything that's been around this long unless kept in climate controlled area (and even then....) is going to show some "patina".

            Seems to me a TW article about these trucks some years ago mentioned something to the effect that most of them in war/combat conditions didn't get more than a few 100 miles on them before getting damaged/destroyed so this one with 1200 is even more of a survivor in contrast.

            I am amazed those tires look so good w/o cracks.

            Jeff in ND

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by mbstude View Post
              Gary, yes, this was Asa's truck. The '53 2R17 fire truck that's parked in front of the US6 was his as well.
              IIRC, the fire truck was bought as a bare cab and chassis from Studebaker by the East Litchfield (?), Connecticut fire department. Asa's father built the fire truck body part on it. I remember Asa driving the fire truck to an SDC meet when the fire company still owned it (many years ago). Asa sought to buy this particular truck due to the connection to his father.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

              SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by studegary View Post
                IIRC, the fire truck was bought as a bare cab and chassis from Studebaker by the East Litchfield (?), Connecticut fire department. Asa's father built the fire truck body part on it. I remember Asa driving the fire truck to an SDC meet when the fire company still owned it (many years ago). Asa sought to buy this particular truck due to the connection to his father.
                Gary,

                I believe you are thinking of the 1949 2R17A that I bought at the auction that Sharon had after Asa's death. The fire house was just down the hill from Asa's father's house. The truck had approximately 5800 miles on it when I bought it. It now under the care of George Orphanidys (george o on the forum). I gave George all the documentation with it, as I recall it was featured in the Studebaker Spotlight. I met the grandson of the dealer who originally sold the truck at the auction.

                Gary
                Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

                The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

                �Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

                For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

                "All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Guido View Post
                  Gary,

                  I believe you are thinking of the 1949 2R17A that I bought at the auction that Sharon had after Asa's death. The fire house was just down the hill from Asa's father's house. The truck had approximately 5800 miles on it when I bought it. It now under the care of George Orphanidys (george o on the forum). I gave George all the documentation with it, as I recall it was featured in the Studebaker Spotlight. I met the grandson of the dealer who originally sold the truck at the auction.

                  Gary
                  Yes, Gary, I imagine that you are correct. I didn't remember that there were two fire trucks in Asa's collection/auction.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

                  SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    Yes, Gary, I imagine that you are correct. I didn't remember that there were two fire trucks in Asa's collection/auction.
                    There were, the '53 that Dr. Cade bought previously was still there at the time of the auction. I think that Asa had purchased the fire truck not long before he passed away. I do know that the 1948 M-16 grain truck that I bought from Sharon that was at Vern Ediger's place in Kansas was the last truck Asa bought before his death. I think that 6 or 7 of Asa's vehicles ended up here in Virginia including both the 4x4's.
                    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

                    The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

                    �Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

                    For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

                    "All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X