Helping a novice Studebaker owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helping a novice Studebaker owner

Being a new Studebaker owner and member, I should be allowed one dumb question. The differential was off and all bolts are missing.
    What size and length should I use?

Thank you

My book lists two lengths.
    5/16"-18x3/4"
    and 5/16"-18x1"

All with 5/16" lock washers.

As a new owner you really should procure a copy of your Chassis catalog, Body catalog and Shop Manual; all available in print or CD-ROM.

Welcome to our world. Have you joined the Studebaker Drivers Club?

And, by the way, there is no such thing as a stupid question, unless it's the one that is not asked.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

So are these "Bolts" the "U" Bolts, Nuts, Washers and Rubber Pads required to secure the complete Differential Housing to the Springs? "The Differential is OFF"??

It sounds like Brad's suggestions are for the Differential COVER screws.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Brad's suggestions are for the Differential COVER screws.
        You are correct.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

blue -

Please be more specific on "what" bolts.

1. The housing (sheet metal) cover fasteners ? You should have enough takeoff/junk fasteners around to figure that out.
          2. The actual..."differential" is out of the housing ? Four large fasteners", with the large "U" shaped caps ?
          3. Or the (as noted) the big "U" bolts that hold the differential to the springs ?

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X