Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Questions: Cathcart and coupe vs hardtop wheelbase

Sorry for the basic questions:

1) Is Cathcart in CT still doing business?

2) Am I reading this correctly that 53 Hardtop wheel base is shorter than 2dr Coupe or is it 4 door (120) versus 2 door couple/hardtop(116)?
    http://carnut.com/specs/gen/stud50.html

Thanks,

Eric

Coupe/Hardtop (C/K) are same 120.5" and the 4-doors/2-door sedans are the short ones. It's long been debated if the Studebaker Board had appreciated the appeal of the Lowey/Bourke design and made at least the 4-doors on the long wheelbase, what would they have looked like and would it have made a difference in sales?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      Coupe/Hardtop (C/K) are same 120.5" and the 4-doors/2-door sedans are the short ones. It's long been debated if the Studebaker Board had appreciated the appeal of the Lowey/Bourke design and made at least the 4-doors on the long wheelbase, what would they have looked like and would it have made a difference in sales?

jack vines
      The 1953 Land Cruiser is on the longer C/K wheelbase (120.5 inches).

I shouldn't speak for him, but I believe that Cathcart is retired from the rebuilding/equipment business.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by AllstonEP View Post
        Sorry for the basic questions:

1) Is Cathcart in CT still doing business?

2) Am I reading this correctly that 53 Hardtop wheel base is shorter than 2dr Coupe or is it 4 door (120) versus 2 door couple/hardtop(116)?
        http://carnut.com/specs/gen/stud50.html Thanks, Eric
        Not sure how you read the word "Hardtop" into that chart, because I see it nowhere!
        They listed "Coupe" to indicate BOTH "Hardtops" and "Coupes", but no mention of the "Hardtops".

For 1953 to 1957, there are only:

116" W/B Sedans (2 & 4 Door F & W Body) includes 2 & 4 Dr. Wagons D & P.
        120" W/B C & K (Coupes & Hardtops)
        120" W/B "Y" Bodies = Long W/B Luxury 4 Door Sedans; Land Cruiser, President State, President Classic.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 09-07-2017, 09:11 AM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Sorry - I should used C/K rather than "Hardtop". I assumed hardtop.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Not sure how you read the word "Hardtop" into that chart, because I see it nowhere!
          They listed "Coupe" to indicate BOTH "Hardtops" and "Coupes", but no mention of the "Hardtops".

For 1953 to 1957, there are only:

116" W/B Sedans (2 & 4 Door F & W Body) includes 2 & 4 Dr. Wagons D & P.
          120" W/B C & K (Coupes & Hardtops)
          120" W/B "Y" Bodies = Long W/B Luxury 4 Door Sedans; Land Cruiser, President State, President Classic.

Comment

From where are the 116" and 120" wheelbase figures coming ?
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I have never understood why a 4dr. sedan would be put on a 116" wheel base and a 2dr. c/k on a 120" ?
              Lou Van Anne
              62 Champ
              64 R2 GT Hawk
              79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                I have never understood why a 4 Dr. sedan would be put on a 116" wheel base and a 2 Dr. c/k on a 120" ?
                Have you ever noticed the LENGTH of the Hood and Deck on the long, low Sport Coupes, Hardtops and Hawks?
                There is no way you are going to put a 116 Inch W/B under ALL that car!

That is why it took a 4 Inch LONGER Sedan Body Rear seat area, to fill the Coupe/Hardtop Frame on the Luxury Sedan "Y" Bodies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Champion Auto Corona3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1716281 Click image for larger version

Name:	54 Champ Starlight Yellow_Black a.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1716282 Here's a "Coupe/Sedan">Click image for larger version

Name:	54 Sedan_Coupe.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1716283
                Last edited by StudeRich; 09-07-2017, 10:50 PM.
                StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                  From where are the 116" and 120" wheelbase figures coming ?
                  This Chart in Post #1 and the Actual Cars.
                  If you want to be extra precise, actually: 116.5 and 120.5.
                  http://carnut.com/specs/gen/stud50.html
                  StudeRich

Comment

If memory serves, the '50 Land Cruiser was on a 124" wheel base frame. That Commander 2 and 4 door on a 120". So the CK's weren't all that long.

Comment

Have you ever noticed the LENGTH of the Hood and Deck on the long, low Sport Coupes, Hardtops and Hawks?

That is why it took a 4 Inch LONGER Sedan Body Rear seat area, to fill the Coupe/Hardtop Frame on the Luxury Sedan "Y" Bodies.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66819[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]66820[/ATTACH] Here's a "Coupe/Sedan">[ATTACH=CONFIG]66821[/ATTACH]
                      Interesting to note that the artist's conception of the 'Y' body car has suicide rear doors with no vertical bar in the windows. I've seen this ad before but never noticed. cheers, junior
                      sigpic
                      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

[QUOTE=StudeRich;1072724]This Chart in Post #1 and the Actual Cars.

The chart calls out 116 1/2" and 120 1/2" for all models from 1953 through 1958.
                        The actual cars are 116 1/2" and 120 1/2". Correct ?
                        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

[QUOTE=55 56 PREZ 4D;1072773]
                          This Chart in Post #1 and the Actual Cars.

The chart calls out 116 1/2" and 120 1/2" for all models from 1953 through 1958.
                          The actual cars are 116 1/2" and 120 1/2". Correct ?
                          Of course they are, center to center from the Front Axle to the Rear Axle.
                          StudeRich

Comment

Guess I didn't make myself clear.....what was the reasoning for putting a 6 passenger 4dr. sedan on the smaller wheel base and and the 5 passenger 2dr. on the longer wheel base?....doesn't seem logical to me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66819[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]66820[/ATTACH] Here's a "Coupe/Sedan">[ATTACH=CONFIG]66821[/ATTACH]
                            Lou Van Anne
                            62 Champ
                            64 R2 GT Hawk
                            79 Avanti II

Comment

The Board of Directors chose the conservative, safe way to go broke and get out of the automotive business. They knew they were going broke anyway, but we'd have appreciated them more for going down reaching for the best instead of settling for mediocre.
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X