Engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine swap

I am in the process of replacing the engine in my 1962 Lark with a Chevrolet 283. Someone who has done this please let me know what to expect.
    Randy Jetton

Greasy hands and skinned knuckles.

Comment

Pretty much the same as most other engine swaps, more time & money spent than you thought.
      But plenty doable.

Mike

Comment

I will ask why? You can bolt in a Studebaker 259 or 289. If you are h--- bent on doing this swap, look at a 1965-1966 Studebaker Lark-type. They used the 283 GM engine (in the V8 models).
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Lark and Avanti share the same frame and Avanti's after 66 came with SBC's. The front mounts are available from our vendors. Best bet is to use the chevy based transmission of your choice and build the rear mount as needed. Pretty straight forward from there if you've done a swap previously. There's a lot of detail involved but there's probably not an easier swap around. As you go, if you need help just post questions or PM me. Bob

Comment

Mike is spot on. Even though you can use a lot of the parts from a 65-66 Stude, there is still plenty to engineer and fabricate.

Here's an old thread when I put a 305 and TH350 in a 63.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...steinkamp+lark

Sorry about the pics. I was using PhotoBucket then and they no longer support their inclusion in forums unless you pay their ransom.

If you right click on one of the photobucket pictures then click on "copy image address", then open another window and paste the image address in the address bar, you can view the image.
            Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 09-05-2017, 08:20 PM.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have done this swap three times already with the aluminum motor mounts that our vendors carry and it is no big deal. The only part I had to fabricate is the transmission mount and that was not hard at all! I have put a SBC in a 59 wagon, a 60 Lark, and a 63 Daytona. I did use the Jeep aluminum conversion radiator to aid in cooling and that was a simple bolt in as it fits perfectly with just to bolt holes to drill. The rams horn exhaust manifolds work really well with this conversion.
              1958 Transtar 3E6-122
              1958 Transtar 3E13-31
              1959 Transtar 4E7-122
              1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
              1960 Transtar 5E28-171
              1960 Lark Gasser
              1963 Daytona

Comment

I have a 350/700R4 in a '64 Daytona (4 Dr.). With the proper mounts (factory in image 1) the engine bolts right in. Since I already had a 65-66 McKinnon transplant I couldn't tell what carb linkage changes are needed but I'd assume they are few. Exhaust were center dump Ramhorns (clearance can be an issue to watch for).

With the 700R4 all I needed to do was elongate the crossmember bolt holes and for my own piece of mind over indented it. Not sure I even had to do that. The Batwing (image 2,3), that is what took a far degree of fabrication. I had to cut a lot of it away and then reinforced it with square tubing. Otherwise I used a stock Chevrolet trans mount. Even the drive shaft was a "bolt in" from a '78 Buick Skylark (4 Dr.). A plate type trans cooler (F-150 sourced) was added. I went from the linkage actuated column shift to a cable floor mount shifter from a 95 Camaro. I did have to fashion my trans dipstick tube as the sourced car (92 Buick Roadmaster) tube hit the firewall. That was done with 1/2" conduit and the original ends connected once the needed shape was achieved.

On a scale of 1-10 I'd call it a 3+ in difficulty and relatively straight forward.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by wittsend; 09-06-2017, 01:14 PM.
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Was your lark a 6 cylinder? Not sure about a 62 rear end , but my 59 6 cyl lark had a tiny diff ,wouldn't even think of putting a v8 in front of it. Ended up sticking a ford 9" in mine.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Explain how to wire the engine. I am installing a 283 from a 1963.
                    Randy Jetton

Comment

1963 Larks did not have 283 GM engines, only 65 and 66s did. If you got a V8 from a '63 it is most likely either a 259 or 289 Studebaker, unless of course someone else installed a 283 GM in the '63 at some time in the past.
                      Dan White
                      64 R1 GT
                      64 R2 GT
                      58 C Cab
                      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Easiest way is to Google "SBC wiring diagram". Everything revolves around the starter solenoid so be sure your diagram reflects that area well. Be sure the battery + goes directly to the solenoid and the ground to a bolt on the engine block and on to the frame. Add a year like 1963 to the search until you find one you like.

I always rewire the whole car with one of these. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...ss,229874.html as I don't trust any wiring that age. This kit is cheap, has great directions and all the wires are labeled every 6 inches. Can't go wrong!! Bob

Comment

Originally posted by preacher View Post
                          Thanks for the info. Explain how to wire the engine. I am installing a 283 from a 1963.
                          This is not clear to me. Do you mean that the 283 is from a 1963 GM car, as Studebaker did NOT have a 283 in 1963? (Dan White was driving at the same confusion.)
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes the engine came out of a Chevrolet.
                            Randy Jetton

Comment

Hey Randy , what type of trans do you have? If its an original 63 set up with an automatic ,It should be a 2 spd powerglide. Can you post pics?

Comment

Working...
                              X