No announcement yet.

Hurricane Irma Prep - Are You Ready?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're watching to see what path it takes, ready to head out when it is clear which way it is going. If it comes up the east side of the state we will head for Birmingham, if it comes up the west side or central we will head to Jeff's place. Or somewhere up the east coast, see you on the 23rd weekend Jeff. For all I know we may end up in Wisconsin. Bill

Comment

Just be real careful. This is a mean one.
      I learned a long time ago not to blindly run away from a hurricane. They will chase you.
      So far my shop and yard cleanup for the open house has turned into a head start on hurricane prep.
      Been loading the shop with all the yard stuff. Stuffing everything in the shop I can.
      Last path prediction I saw said the eye would be crossing near my place at about 3:30 on Monday.
      So that means things here will start heading downhill later Saturday.
      They are saying the wind speed Monday afternoon should be down to 120mph.
      That really scares me....

So, If everything is still here on the 23rd, we'll have some fun...... Hoping to have some fun...

Originally posted by bill van alstyne View Post
      We're watching to see what path it takes, ready to head out when it is clear which way it is going. If it comes up the east side of the state we will head for Birmingham, if it comes up the west side or central we will head to Jeff's place. Or somewhere up the east coast, see you on the 23rd weekend Jeff. For all I know we may end up in Wisconsin. Bill
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Path may have changed (I don't believe anything is absolute until it hits you or by-passes you) going to Atlanta and on thought the mountains and into Tennessee. Looks like the mountains of South Carolina, North Carollina and Tennessee will get hit by a reduced storm leaving eastern North Carolina and northeastern South Carolina relatively unscathed. Of course not that I have said that thing will change to the east.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

The southeast has gone nutz (and rightfully so).
          I-95 and I-75 are bumper to bumper for the entire state.
          Atlanta is where most are going because it has the most motel rooms.
          Everything east of I-95 is being evacuated near Savannah.
          Storm track runs straight over my place, and on to Columbia, SC and then NW.
          The Tri State Meet people should be REAL careful as this is going to dump on them Tuesday.
          So Florida/GA Tri State Meet travelers from Florida should stay put until after it has passed, and even then they should think thrice about heading back south with the throng of people going back home.
          I cannot imagine a Studebaker being happy in a multi million car traffic jam when there is no gas, no motels, and no help.
          Please be careful....

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
          Path may have changed (I don't believe anything is absolute until it hits you or by-passes you) going to Atlanta and on thought the mountains and into Tennessee. Looks like the mountains of South Carolina, North Carollina and Tennessee will get hit by a reduced storm leaving eastern North Carolina and northeastern South Carolina relatively unscathed. Of course not that I have said that thing will change to the east.
          Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 09-08-2017, 03:42 AM.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Track has moved west as of a few minutes ago.

Jeff

Comment

Deepnhock, thank you for being a message bearer and alerting people to the pending huricane and your experience of just how bad it will be. Not everyone watches the weather as well as we do. Florida, if track as of Friday early AM holds, is in for the storm of a lifetime, from tip to top. Prayers to all who will be affected. Be smart, be safe.

Comment

Heck... I am no expert. But I have been in a few hurricanes....None were real bad ones. either.
                This one IS REAL BAD.
                And with IDYSD on Saturday, the southeast is going to be a mess with traffic.
                So (in the SE), drive your Stude out you the garage, clean your garage, take a pic, pull your Stude back in the garage, and wrap it up until after this the next two hurricanes have passed.
                Better safe than sorry.

Originally posted by FleetMaster68 View Post
                Deepnhock, thank you for being a message bearer and alerting people to the pending huricane and your experience of just how bad it will be. Not everyone watches the weather as well as we do. Florida, if track as of Friday early AM holds, is in for the storm of a lifetime, from tip to top. Prayers to all who will be affected. Be smart, be safe.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by FleetMaster68 View Post
                  X2 ...if you're planning on riding it out, hang on tight! This appears to be a nasty, nasty hurricane. Hopefully most people in its path do not underestimate its potential.
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

My earliest memories of Hurricanes are more of big rain events rather than the wind of those living in coastal and "flat-land" regions. Living in the western hills of the Carolinas, most of the hurricanes have been fairly well weakened by the time they make it this far inland. (Hugo & a couple other exceptions) While I have done a couple of things in preparation, I am not taking extraordinary panic measures. Hurricanes, tornadoes, warm/cold fronts, blizzards, earthquakes, volcanoes...are all part of the big orb we inhabit. You can only run and hide so far. Live on a hill (like me), and you can get blown off. Live down in the hollow, get flooded (or buried under all the rubble from those blown off the hill). I have always known, the old shed I keep my cars under, could under the right conditions, tumble in on them. The other utility buildings, where my life of collecting & tinkering resides, could be reduced to rubble in the blink of an eye.

These huge cataclysmic events seem to be the earth's "reset" button. For many in the path, it leaves bewildered and destroyed...others, bewildered but resolved overcome, rebuild, and thrive. Another result, I'll be interested in following, will be the southeast's winter weather patterns in the next few years. Back in the late '50's, we had some tropical storms dump huge volumes of water. The following winters, the area had winter snows that shut us down for days. Right on through the '60's into early '70's.

OH...and not to turn "preachy," or to irritate those who question the existence of a creator, but these events seem to serve as a call to "humility," to recognize we are not kings of the planet...but a speck of life, who has to live within it's nature the same as the most delicate humming bird. So, I have taken some safety measures, read 2nd Chronicles 7:14, said my prayers, still planning on my little jaunt to Maggie Valley, and proceed in Faith. I know who's in control. (It ain't me)
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                      Fire here in Oregon/Washington and water in the south and southeast. If we could just get them together and cancel each other out we would be fine. I am tired of breathing smoke here in the Portland area.
                      I know what you mean. In Medford it's been hazardous even for healthy people some days. Today is better and night before last we got some rain for the first time since August 9 (not unusual). I can hardly imagine what a blue sky looks like anymore - even though most of our days are cloudless!
                      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Jeez Jeff-I googled mapped you = -Holy crap you are in for a heap of oh "what the hell happened"?.
                        God please stay safe you and your family.
                        We are with you my friend. Stay safe!!!
                        Bill

Comment

The car is 95% packed. Leaving in the morning. I wish everyone in harms way luck and safety...
                          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Ok... I left home today at a little before 4 pm. Headed out to the Tri State meet in Maggie Valley. Normally an hour & half trip. Things went great until I got to I-26. That's when I discovered the population of Florida and Georgia had turned it into a huge parking lot. I arrived here at about 7pm. So far, looks like we're gonna have good attendance. I expect to be back home before the rain starts.

Keeping all in my prayers. The next few days are going to get quite interesting.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The newest track has moverd further west..again.
                              All those people that ran to Atlanta may get a surprise.
                              The owners of Atlanta Motor Speedway have opened up their facilities to people who are stranded. Nice of them.
                              Hope it does'nt get too bad over there..

Jeff

Comment

As I said before, we waited till the storm made it's turn northward to make the decision of stay or go. We are staying here, so it will be interesting to see what happens. No worries about flooding or water intrusion, we're 95 feet above sea level and about 20 miles inland. The wind is what scares us, only 1 big pine tree to worry about falling on the buildings. The fact that how long would it be to return if we left is what swayed us to stay. Generator is ready to go as are the chain saw and other pieces needed to clean up. Lots of water (bathtubs and buckets) for sanitary use, pantry is full of provisions and bottled water and other beverages are plentiful. The storm is tracking right over us, should be CAT3, so we'll see what happens. Jeff, you're going to get some effects also, so be safe too! Bill.

Comment

Working...
                                X