buying a 1929 Stude Dictator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a 1929 Stude Dictator

I am looking at buying a 1929 Studebaker on Monday. Having never owned a Stude nor a car as old as this, is there anything specific that I need to look at or for?

Things that I need to be aware of or questions to ask?

Things that might be deal breakers?
    Last edited by kclark; 09-05-2017, 10:47 AM.
    1929 Studebaker Dictator Hearse

As with any car of that age and scarcity, the less missing parts the easier the rebuild. Metal can be repaired, mechanical's can be rebuilt but missing parts are tough to come by. Bob

Comment

From what I can tell be the pics, Everything is there and it does run. I know that I will be repainting it as I don't like the current color and will replace the interior. The other stuff that I am not sure about until I see it in person is I believe things like the interior window cranks are yellowed and knobs are as well.

Also, What kind of gear shifting is required? I know how model A's start with a start pedal and such is it something similar?

Comment

I am pretty sure a 1929 Studebaker would be WAY more Sophisticated than a Model T and have a REAL Borg Warner 3 Speed Transmission.

But then what do I know, I don't own one older than 1953.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have looked for an older car of the era most of my life. Just never found one priced at what I was willing to pay. As already noted, look for completeness of parts. You can google the particular model you are interested in and find dozens of pictures. When doing this, be careful though, because lots of car pics on the internet are mislabeled and identified incorrect.

If the car uses wood in the body framing, I would want it to be in reasonably solid condition. Critical body connections, like door pillars, need to be solid. If they become hung out into space, (Rusted away where they connect), it is very difficult to return the body to true dimension for doors to fit and close properly. Next, is wheels...while I love the looks of the old "artillery" style wood spoke wheels, I believe I would want metal wheels. Steel Spoke or metal discs, I think I would prefer either over the wooden spoke wheels.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yellow knobs may be correct for that vintage Studebaker. You may want to investigate the Antique Studebaker Club also. There are links to it from this forum homepage.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

What model and body style are you looking at? There's a big range of offerings, as Studebaker tried to provide a car for everyone in the upmarket that prevailed in the 20's. From the full Classic President to competition with other economy cars Studebaker had it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                What model and body style are you looking at? There's a big range of offerings, as Studebaker tried to provide a car for everyone in the upmarket that prevailed in the 20's. From the full Classic President to competition with other economy cars Studebaker had it all.
                I need to confirm, but I believe it is a dictator. It's actually a hearse but believe it is built on a dictator.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  I am pretty sure a 1929 Studebaker would be WAY more Sophisticated than a Model T and have a REAL Borg Warner 3 Speed Transmission.

What I was meaning is that I wasn't sure if things had progressed to just turn the key to start like today or if there was some sequence to starting the car.

Comment

I wonder, is it synchronized, or do you need to learn to double clutch?

- - - Updated - - -

Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                      I'll have to get back to you on this one. I'm not sure myself. I'm suppose to look at it tomorrow or Tuesday.

But here is a pic that I do have that he took.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	interior.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1716219

Comment

I've heard that the steering on these may take you by surprise. After you make a turn, it doesn't supposedly center itself afterwards, without some assist..
                        64 GT Hawk (K7)
                        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Hearse body work aside, I'm pretty sure every 1920's car on the road had it's far share of wood reinforcements. See what you can see of the floor, roof and inner side structure.
                          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Looks like the on the floor starter button is on the floor right side of accelerator pedal.
                            That's where the starter switch is on a 1941 Chevrolet and on our 1938 Mack. Turn ignition switch on, pull out the choke, hit the starter button. I don't think you have to advance the spark control by 1929.
                            On our 1947 Champion, you started by depressing the clutch pedal.
                            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

The owner drive me around. Rides good. He said you do have to double clutch. Not sure if that can be changed to synchronized.

As far as what I can see, it would need new tires as the current ones have cracked due to age. And I don't know how to fix it but he said the windshield wiper doesn't work properly. He's not mechanically inclined but thought it had to do with the vacuum.

The other things that would need to be fixed and don't know how hard they are to fix:
                              Speedometer, odometer, gas gauge.

Any pics needed specifically before I leave town?

Comment

Working...
                              X