Looking for Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Transmission

Does anyone have a transmission with overdrive they would like to sell? I would like to attach it to my 1950 or 1951 Champion engine. This is a car engine. Thanks!
    Last edited by truckguy; 08-25-2017, 03:24 PM.

You need to let us know if you need it for a truck or car. I believe there is a difference in the application. Good luck finding one, they should be available, it just takes patience.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Someone just posted several for sale on the swap page.

Mark

Comment

I didn't know that. The engine is a car engine. I also went back to the original post and indicated that it is a car engine.
        Last edited by truckguy; 08-25-2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Mark, please help me out. How do I access the swap page? Thanks!

Comment

Truck guy. Is it for a six or is it for a v8? I have a three speed out of a 58 sliver hawk with a six. Car only had 30,000 actual miles on it when trans was pulled. I'am also in MN. Sell cheap.

Comment

swvalccon. I'd love to buy it but I need a six volt overdrive. I assume yours is a 12 volt. Yes, the Champion engine is the small six.

Comment

Studebakerswap.com is the URL I use. The transmission listed are in PA.

Mark

Comment

I have an OD trans in Phoenix from a 50 Champion. Don't have a lot of info on it due to the car had no engine when I got it, but I think all of the wiring, brackets and switches, etc are still in the car also. The bell housing is on it too, if needed, but would need to be indexed to your engine.
                  Make a decent offer and I can get it loaded on a Greyhound headed towards you.
                  sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                  1950 Champion Convertible
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

To put a T-96 3 Speed Overdrive Car Trans. in a Truck you still must have a SHORT Tail Trans. so 1958 and Newer one will not work, it must be From a '47 to '57 Champion.

You will also need a TRUCK Clutch housing to install it in a Truck. If it is not Factory fitted original to the Engine block, it will have to be "Dialed IN" to the centerline of the Crankshaft.

Of the Three Electrical components on the O.D. Trans. only the Solenoid cares about the Voltage, so you can swap it with a 6 Volt one if you find a '56 or 57 Trans. for 12 Volt.
                    You will need the Kickdown Switch, the Shift Cable, the Wire Harness and on some Older setups, also the Relay. Oh and probably a Shorter Front Driveshaft.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-25-2017, 10:10 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I was looking at a couple of three speed transmissions that I have and one has the rear mounting holes drilled and tapped on the bottom of the housing and the other just has the raised casting and not drilled and tapped, however could be re-machined to fit. I don't know anything about the history and what fits what. I did scrap a 53/54 truck some years ago and one of the transmissions may be from it.

Comment

Bill Heiker I have just been given a T86E -1 transmission. That is a truck transmission which will bolt up to the 1950 Champion car engine I have. I also inspected a 55 truck which also has a car Champion engine. The engine is a 1953. The 1955 truck has a T86E-1A transmission. The overdrive has R10 on the side. I don't know if R10 is the model number or what. I now know that I need at the very least, a compatible overdrive. If you have a T86E-1 transmission attached to an overdrive and know it is all in good working condition, I might be willing to take it. If not, I can make do with just the overdrive. I now know what I need so everyone can check to see if what I need is what you have. Please let me know. Thanks!

Comment

Mine is definitely NOT a truck transmission, so may not be what you need or want. Ratios might be better for driving then a truck trans, but might need some drive line modifications to work.
                          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                          1950 Champion Convertible
                          1950 Champion 4Dr
                          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I have a t86e-1a transmission that came out of a 58 pickup. It was attached to a Hawk V8. It has the short shaft.
                            Jim
                            51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
                            53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
                            62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

The 50-51 Champion car takes a T-96 transmission and overdrive. They are the same from 47-55. The 56-57 is the same mechanically, but has a 12 volt solenoid on it.
                              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X