Looking for Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
    I have a t86e-1a transmission that came out of a 58 pickup. It was attached to a Hawk V8. It has the short shaft.
    Jim
    A T-86 Case indicates a 6 Bolt Top Cover, Med. Duty; Car V8, Truck Commander Six or Truck V8 Trans., NOT even similar to a Light duty T-96 4 Bolt Top Cover for a Small Champion 170 Six.

All Standard Duty (Non T-85) Overdrives are marked Borg Warner "R-10", both short tail and long.

You cannot just BOLT an Overdrive onto a Standard Trans. or Long to short Tail, MANY internal Parts have to be changed including the Main Case.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-26-2017, 11:57 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

All this is getting a bit confusing for me. Let me change my request to state that I would like to buy a T86 E 1A transmission with the original overdrive attached. That way I will know that the two are compatible. I know the trans will bolt onto my 1950 Champion car engine.

Comment

It will bolt on, but it will NOT install in a TRUCK without a TRUCK clutch housing due to MAJOR Engine Mount (Insulators) and Engine Mount Bracket differences making a Car Housing a NO Fit!

Please carefully READ Post # 10 Again.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by truckguy View Post
          All this is getting a bit confusing for me. Let me change my request to state that I would like to buy a T86 E 1A transmission with the original overdrive attached. That way I will know that the two are compatible. I know the trans will bolt onto my 1950 Champion car engine.
          What is the VEHICLE that you have? Is it a car, or is it a truck? That information should eliminate a lot of the confusion from this discussion.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

The vehicle is a 53 2R5 and the engine is a car 1950 Champion. The engine has been in the truck for a few years and I've driven it so I know the bellhousing works. Currently the truck does not have an overdrive unit and I want to convert it to overdrive.
            Last edited by truckguy; 08-26-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

StudeRich. yes, I do have the truck bellhousing on the engine. I've been driving the truck with the car Champion engine but without OD.
              Last edited by truckguy; 08-26-2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

This is a case where more specifics in the original post would have made subsequent responses make more sense.

It looks like you need a T-90 truck transmission. It looks like a V-8 car T-86, but it has a different input shaft from the car application and straight cut first gears. The case says T-86 on it.

Here's some more information/discussion that another poster had on the same subject. Check out the pictures in post 14.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...n-for-1949-2R5
                Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-26-2017, 05:11 PM.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

I've got a Champion six with OD transmission sitting on the floor in my garage, it came out of a 53 Starlight coupe. The only down side I live in Council Bluffs Ia (adjacent to Omaha NE) not sure where you are in Minnesota. I'd make you a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by 1953champcoupe View Post
                    I've got a Champion six with OD transmission sitting on the floor in my garage, it came out of a 53 Starlight coupe. The only down side I live in Council Bluffs Ia (adjacent to Omaha NE) not sure where you are in Minnesota. I'd make you a good deal.
                    Since his application is for a truck, the car T-96 that you have will not fit. But somebody else was looking for a Champion six for a car, and maybe the overdrive transmission, too.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...67#post1068467
                    Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-26-2017, 05:17 PM.

Comment

My apologies for all the confusion. I don't know anything about car vs truck transmissions etc. I am quite certain that I need a T86E-1A trans with an R10 overdrive. Does anyone have that? Thanks!

Comment

That is what this is. It is a t86e-1a It came out of a 58 truck. It has the truck mounts.
                        51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
                        53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
                        62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

If all else fails find a gear venders overdrive unit that bolts to the rear end and use the trans that you have.

Comment

Working...
                          X