Made in America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made in America

I strongly suspect that is due to the number of General Motors vehicles assembled in Canadian plants and sold in the United States. (Does any Japan-originated manufacturer even have an assembly plant in Canada? Not being funny; I really don't know!) [8D] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I strongly suspect that is due to the number of General Motors vehicles assembled in Canadian plants and sold in the United States. (Does any Japan-originated manufacturer even have an assembly plant in Canada? Not being funny; I really don't know!) [8D] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Yes, Bob, there's a Toyota plant in Cambridge, Ontario, as well as a joint venture GM/Suzuki assembly plant (CAMI www.cami.ca) in Ingersoll.

Craig

Comment

Yes, Bob, there's a Toyota plant in Cambridge, Ontario, as well as a joint venture GM/Suzuki assembly plant (CAMI www.cami.ca) in Ingersoll.

Craig

Comment

Made in America

I know that many who read these forums promote Buy-American, including when purchasing cars. Of course, most Studebakers available here were made in the USA - probably at the 100% content level (yes, I know about the Canadian-built cars - hence, the "most").

In the course of my work this week, I was told some interesting bullet points:

As US government procurement officials analyze items for compliance with the Buy-American Act, they have found that NO CARS meet the "made in America" criteria. Some, however meet the "Assembled in America" level. These criteria involve combinations of parts manufactured in the US and overall assembly in the US.

The highest ranking cars:
          Toyota
          Honda
          Subaru

The worst (lowest rank) "Assembled in America" manufacturer:
          General Motors

There's some food for thought.

--george

Comment

Thanks, Craig. Is product from either of those plants shipped to The United States, or is it all for domestic [Canadian] consumption? [?] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Thanks, Craig. Is product from either of those plants shipped to The United States, or is it all for domestic [Canadian] consumption? [?] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Check out the CAMI website. It has a few figures of where their prodution goes.

Craig

Comment

Check out the CAMI website. It has a few figures of where their prodution goes.

Craig

Comment

When I first opened my stereo store, I always had a few customers that insisted on American made electronics. Most of the time, they were asking for a American name attached to a product made in the far east. i.e. Jensen, RCA and the like. Back then, the Japanese even tried to sound "American". Kenwood was so named by combining Kenmore and Sherwood. Later, a Japanese name became a sales tool and high end units came from Fujitsu, and others.
                    I spent many years working with Japanese companies and found out why they were successful. They would come in my store, or fly me to meeting to ask what I liked about their product, what they could do better and so on. They do the same with their cars, they have design centers in the US that design cars for the US market. GM has finally caught and is now very successful in China with a Buick built just for that market, but for years, they would not even offer a right hand drive car for export.
                    Say what you will about foreign cars, but they pushed the US makers to build better cars and they now do.

JDP/Maryland
                    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                    spent to date $54664,75
                    64 R2 GT (Sid)
                    spent to date $62,839.60
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    51 Commander
                    39 Coupe express
                    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

When I first opened my stereo store, I always had a few customers that insisted on American made electronics. Most of the time, they were asking for a American name attached to a product made in the far east. i.e. Jensen, RCA and the like. Back then, the Japanese even tried to sound "American". Kenwood was so named by combining Kenmore and Sherwood. Later, a Japanese name became a sales tool and high end units came from Fujitsu, and others.
                      I spent many years working with Japanese companies and found out why they were successful. They would come in my store, or fly me to meeting to ask what I liked about their product, what they could do better and so on. They do the same with their cars, they have design centers in the US that design cars for the US market. GM has finally caught and is now very successful in China with a Buick built just for that market, but for years, they would not even offer a right hand drive car for export.
                      Say what you will about foreign cars, but they pushed the US makers to build better cars and they now do.

JDP/Maryland
                      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                      spent to date $54664,75
                      64 R2 GT (Sid)
                      spent to date $62,839.60
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      51 Commander
                      39 Coupe express
                      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I worked , back in the late 70's, for Panasonic in Secaucus NJ..One day they were having an electronics sale in their R&D dept..There were all diff makes & models of other manufacturers equip, tvs, vcrs, etc.. When I asked one of the dept employees why they had other makes he replied, Panasonic buys them, pulls them apart and sees how they can improve them..

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

I worked , back in the late 70's, for Panasonic in Secaucus NJ..One day they were having an electronics sale in their R&D dept..There were all diff makes & models of other manufacturers equip, tvs, vcrs, etc.. When I asked one of the dept employees why they had other makes he replied, Panasonic buys them, pulls them apart and sees how they can improve them..

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP
                            I will agree that the Japanese manufacturers' successes resulted in better quality in domestics, but I long for the days of greater model and body-style choices, more color and trim level choices in and out, and being able to select options individually. All this went away as the domestics began aping the Japanese automakers.

It used to be that you never saw an exact duplicate of a car anywhere, with all the color and option choices. Now you can see exact duplicates sitting next to each other at the same car dealer.

I do miss those things about the old domestic days.

Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP
                              I will agree that the Japanese manufacturers' successes resulted in better quality in domestics, but I long for the days of greater model and body-style choices, more color and trim level choices in and out, and being able to select options individually. All this went away as the domestics began aping the Japanese automakers.

It used to be that you never saw an exact duplicate of a car anywhere, with all the color and option choices. Now you can see exact duplicates sitting next to each other at the same car dealer.

I do miss those things about the old domestic days.

Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              (formerly Greenville, PA)
                              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X