What is this piece we got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this piece we got?

One of the things in the parts Joe bought in Springfield was this bracket. We think it is some kind of A/C bracket. Anybody know any details about this piece?
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Yes, that looks like a bracket for the York compressor along with an Idler pulley.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

What John said, Howard, but it is not a Studebaker-manufactured or furnished part.

Rather, it is typical of the compressor mount used by aftermarket air conditioner installers when fitting those compressors to 1960 and earlier Studebaker V8s for aftermarket air conditioning systems. Note that it will not work on 1961 and newer V8s because they don't have a 4-bolt water manifold outlet (i.e, thermostat) housing. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        What John said, Howard, but it is not a Studebaker-manufactured or furnished part.

Rather, it is typical of the compressor mount used by aftermarket air conditioner installers when fitting those compressors to 1960 and earlier Studebaker V8s for aftermarket air conditioning systems. Note that it will not work on 1961 and newer V8s because they don't have a 4-bolt water manifold outlet (i.e, thermostat) housing. BP
        We noted that it was for the earlier 4 bolt outlet. Is it still useful for a conversion or just junk?
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I got a similar bracket in that stash I bought from Sioux City. I just haven't gotten around to posting it yet.
          1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
          1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
          1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
          1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
          1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
          1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
            We noted that it was for the earlier 4 bolt outlet. Is it still useful for a conversion or just junk?
            Yes, it is very useful for a conversion. With a simple $40 adapter, you can set a Sanyo 508 compressor on it. Also, though it is designed for an earlier, 4-bolt thermostat housing it can be easily adapted to a later, 2-bolt housing. I do not personally care for that design, however, because it only has two mounting points. I prefer the type that include 3-4 points. However, it would be easy to add a third mount point, by running a piece of strap iron from one of the extra thermostat housing holes, over to the cover plate for the oil filler on the engine block.

Comment

Here are the two AC brackets that I got in the stash of Stude parts from Sioux City. One seems to be a variation on the first mount, seemingly a little easier to manufacture plus having that third mounting point. I wouldn't be surprised either way if the black one is or isn't even Studebaker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	acmount.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1716116
              1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
              1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
              1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
              1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
              1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
              1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Working...
              X