No announcement yet.

New epa paint regulations for 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I do not look forward to any new rules that may restrict my passion for painting at home..........
    I agree that the components in the modern paints are indeed dangerous, and when handled improperly, can pose a hazard.
    I also agree that new rules will promote new alternatives, like water based paints.
    I sort of miss the old lacquer buzz of old[}], and fear the new paint spray buzz[xx(]......
    (But, maybe if you add some Vodka to the new water based paint?[])
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Commander51

<snip for space>
    I also expect that as a consequence of these regulations, development of water-based coatings will accelerate-- as it should in any event.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

While I do not look forward to any new rules that may restrict my passion for painting at home..........
      I agree that the components in the modern paints are indeed dangerous, and when handled improperly, can pose a hazard.
      I also agree that new rules will promote new alternatives, like water based paints.
      I sort of miss the old lacquer buzz of old[}], and fear the new paint spray buzz[xx(]......
      (But, maybe if you add some Vodka to the new water based paint?[])
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Commander51

<snip for space>
      I also expect that as a consequence of these regulations, development of water-based coatings will accelerate-- as it should in any event.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm with Commander61 and Hank63. Vehicle paints are nasty things [xx(].Ask Jim Turner and others that do it for a living about the precautions that should be taken to even OPEN a can of paint...and the cost of the equipment that is needed to protect anybody handling it....let alone the cost of the needed downdraft paint booth to apply it correctly. It's actually amazing to me that the government even has to tell us not to do it without the proper equipment. Kind of like a law telling us not to drink Draino . Even with the law, of course, if you really want to, you can find a way to get the paint. You can also drink a can of Draino if you really want to.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm with Commander61 and Hank63. Vehicle paints are nasty things [xx(].Ask Jim Turner and others that do it for a living about the precautions that should be taken to even OPEN a can of paint...and the cost of the equipment that is needed to protect anybody handling it....let alone the cost of the needed downdraft paint booth to apply it correctly. It's actually amazing to me that the government even has to tell us not to do it without the proper equipment. Kind of like a law telling us not to drink Draino . Even with the law, of course, if you really want to, you can find a way to get the paint. You can also drink a can of Draino if you really want to.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

According to my paint guy, the driving force behind the new rules is the professional shops. If you just spent a 100K on a paint booth and you see a guy moonlighting out of his garage and beating your prices, you'll pressure for enforcement. It's time to get close to your friendly paint store and body shops so you can still get paint down the road.
            Most of my paint buys are a pint or less for touch up and they usually just give it to me, but if I need more, I'm sure I can work around the rules by having a body shop buddy get it for me.
            If you think about it, the average hobbiest uses a lot more paint in rattle cans then in his spray gun, it's not like we paint a dozen cars a year.

JDP/Maryland
            63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
            spent to date $54664,75
            64 R2 GT (Sid)
            spent to date $62,839.60
            63 Lark 2 door
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

According to my paint guy, the driving force behind the new rules is the professional shops. If you just spent a 100K on a paint booth and you see a guy moonlighting out of his garage and beating your prices, you'll pressure for enforcement. It's time to get close to your friendly paint store and body shops so you can still get paint down the road.
              Most of my paint buys are a pint or less for touch up and they usually just give it to me, but if I need more, I'm sure I can work around the rules by having a body shop buddy get it for me.
              If you think about it, the average hobbiest uses a lot more paint in rattle cans then in his spray gun, it's not like we paint a dozen cars a year.

JDP/Maryland
              63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
              spent to date $54664,75
              64 R2 GT (Sid)
              spent to date $62,839.60
              63 Lark 2 door
              51 Commander
              39 Coupe express
              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Don't panic quite yet. It appears that hobbyists will be exempt -

"The final rule also clarifies that these standards do not apply to paint stripping and surface coating performed by individuals as part of a hobby, or for maintenance of their personal vehicles, possessions and property, or when these activities are performed for others without compensation."

Comment

"The final rule also clarifies that these standards do not apply to paint stripping and surface coating performed by individuals as part of a hobby, or for maintenance of their personal vehicles, possessions and property, or when these activities are performed for others without compensation."

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jnormanh

This may be even WORSE news. It means we can't get angry and mad!

[)]

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jnormanh

This may be even WORSE news. It means we can't get angry and mad!

[)]

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dave, that makes me angry and mad that you are angry and mad! In all seriousness though the exemption for the hobbiest applies to the current set of anti painting regulations that have just been passed, it is my understanding that the 2011 regulations will have no exemptions period.

Comment

Dave, that makes me angry and mad that you are angry and mad! In all seriousness though the exemption for the hobbiest applies to the current set of anti painting regulations that have just been passed, it is my understanding that the 2011 regulations will have no exemptions period.

Comment

You have to be careful about proposed regulations. It often happens that regs are proposed, everyone gets in a panic, and then the regs get modified in a common sense way before they are put into effect.

Let me give you just one example.

As of last Spring there were proposed OSHA regulations which would have essentially made it impossible for a retailer to store, display and sell ammunition. I'm a dedicated shotgunner, and participate on some sites related to shotgun target shooting. There was a great panic among many there, saying things like "OSHA will outlaw our sport in 30 days!!!"

It never happened, of course. Saner heads prevailed, as they nearly always do, and you can still buy shotgun shells in any WalMart.

Poroposed regs are just that - proposed. They're often written by very junior people at the agencies who have no practical appreciation of the situation, and they nearly always get revised later by the more senior and sensible people.

Maybe you remember the panic when R-12 freon was banned, and the tales that it would cost thousands of dollars to convert to R-134A. Well, I converted all of my cars, the cost was about $20 each. No big deal.

I spent most of my working life dealing with the EPA and OSHA, and in spite of all the panics, I always found those folks to be competent and sensible. It'll be the same way with paint. Yeah, paint formulations may change a bit, and there may be some small hoops to jump through, but ten years from now nobody will know the difference. JMHO.

Comment

You have to be careful about proposed regulations. It often happens that regs are proposed, everyone gets in a panic, and then the regs get modified in a common sense way before they are put into effect.

Let me give you just one example.

As of last Spring there were proposed OSHA regulations which would have essentially made it impossible for a retailer to store, display and sell ammunition. I'm a dedicated shotgunner, and participate on some sites related to shotgun target shooting. There was a great panic among many there, saying things like "OSHA will outlaw our sport in 30 days!!!"

It never happened, of course. Saner heads prevailed, as they nearly always do, and you can still buy shotgun shells in any WalMart.

Poroposed regs are just that - proposed. They're often written by very junior people at the agencies who have no practical appreciation of the situation, and they nearly always get revised later by the more senior and sensible people.

Maybe you remember the panic when R-12 freon was banned, and the tales that it would cost thousands of dollars to convert to R-134A. Well, I converted all of my cars, the cost was about $20 each. No big deal.

I spent most of my working life dealing with the EPA and OSHA, and in spite of all the panics, I always found those folks to be competent and sensible. It'll be the same way with paint. Yeah, paint formulations may change a bit, and there may be some small hoops to jump through, but ten years from now nobody will know the difference. JMHO.

Comment

The hobbyist exemption was not part of the rule when I wrote my legislators about it a couple years ago. Maybe some of our voices were heard.

There was about a 3-5 year period where no refrigerant was easily available off the shelf to individuals after R-12 was banned. There were also plans to restrict R-134A even further, but thankfully those seem to have been scrapped. Things usually work out, but they might not have had there not been a forceful enough opposition.

Kevin Wolford
                                Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
                                60 Lark VI Conv.
                                63 Avanti R1

Comment

Working...
                                X