New Guy w/ '40 commander biz coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy w/ '40 commander biz coupe

Hello- I am a new guy to studebakers and have a 1940 commander business coupe project. I don't know much about studes and I'm hoping to learn. I'm also hoping that I can get some help with parts I'm seeking. I will try to contribute as much as I can with my very limited knowledge.

I am especially looking for a set of running boards for this car.

Thanks.

Looking for 1939-1940 Commander coupe running boards.

Welcome aboard, Jon! Any 1940 Commander is a rare piece, and they were sharp looking, too.

Be sure to join The Antique Studebaker Club [ASC] in addition to The Studebaker Drivers Club. [8D] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Jon! Any 1940 Commander is a rare piece, and they were sharp looking, too.

Be sure to join The Antique Studebaker Club [ASC] in addition to The Studebaker Drivers Club. [8D] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You may wish to access these three previous threads on the same topic:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...1940+commander

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...1940,commander

You will find most of your answers there. Of course joining the Antique Studebaker Club is a must!

Richard Quinn
        editor: Antique Studebaker Review
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

You may wish to access these three previous threads on the same topic:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...1940+commander

You will find most of your answers there. Of course joining the Antique Studebaker Club is a must!

Richard Quinn
          editor: Antique Studebaker Review
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

1940 Commander business coupe..........??????

gaah.

it's worthless, but i'll be willing to dispose of it for you to save you the trouble.

nate

(just kidding, a 40 or 41 biz coupe is right up there on my list of "cars to own someday...")

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

1940 Commander business coupe..........??????

gaah.

it's worthless, but i'll be willing to dispose of it for you to save you the trouble.

nate

(just kidding, a 40 or 41 biz coupe is right up there on my list of "cars to own someday...")

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Truthfully... It seems I have been getting a lot of mixed info. I'm not really sure if it is a commander or President. It's gone the direction of a hot rod, and I hope that doesn't offend anybody here. When I got it it had already had most all of the bastardizing done. I'm hoping to build a tasteful "resto-rod". Mainly stock appearing with a modernized drivetrain and suspension. Most of the hack work will be taken care of including removing the side pipes and re-installing the engine side panels. I have most all of the trim as well.

So I'm gonna post a couple pictures of the car as I have bought it. Maybe somebody can tell me what it really is. Hopefully, I don't get too much bashing here....

Comment

Truthfully... It seems I have been getting a lot of mixed info. I'm not really sure if it is a commander or President. It's gone the direction of a hot rod, and I hope that doesn't offend anybody here. When I got it it had already had most all of the bastardizing done. I'm hoping to build a tasteful "resto-rod". Mainly stock appearing with a modernized drivetrain and suspension. Most of the hack work will be taken care of including removing the side pipes and re-installing the engine side panels. I have most all of the trim as well.

So I'm gonna post a couple pictures of the car as I have bought it. Maybe somebody can tell me what it really is. Hopefully, I don't get too much bashing here....

Comment

not sure why the pics didn't work. I think I did everything ok. Anyway, I suppose people can cut and paste.

Comment

not sure why the pics didn't work. I think I did everything ok. Anyway, I suppose people can cut and paste.

Comment

Does the term "gasser" come to mind. I mean if it already minus its stock running gear why not a straight front axle, an old hemi and ..... well, you kow what I'm trying to say. I guess I'd better run for cover now

Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser

Comment

Does the term "gasser" come to mind. I mean if it already minus its stock running gear why not a straight front axle, an old hemi and ..... well, you kow what I'm trying to say. I guess I'd better run for cover now

Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser

Comment

I know what you are saying. I like to look at gassers, but I have no interest in ever owning one. They aren't exactly real street friendly and I am hoping to put some miles on this when it's done. I will probably go with a lowered, slightly raked stance (50's style). Right now it has the stock frontend in it, but I'm not sure how I feel about putting power behind it. It also has the stock rearend and I'm not real comfortable with putting 260-300hp to that either.

So most likely I will be dropping in a GM 10-bolt posi rear and a mustang II up front when I can afford it. It's got a sbc 350/350 in it. It's not my first choice, but I have lots of parts and I kow them well. It's going to need some tweeking to get it right, but it was recently rebuilt. I'll be dropping in a Lunati voodoo cam, Vintage offy intake, mallory unilite dizzy, and a Holley 670cfm carb.

The interior is non-existant, so I will probably have to do something with that once I get the body and suspension taken care of. My goal is to make it look as stock as possible with a few subtle modifications and a bulletproof drivetrain. I want to do some long distance trips with my father who owns a 1948 Ford Business coupe.

Comment

I know what you are saying. I like to look at gassers, but I have no interest in ever owning one. They aren't exactly real street friendly and I am hoping to put some miles on this when it's done. I will probably go with a lowered, slightly raked stance (50's style). Right now it has the stock frontend in it, but I'm not sure how I feel about putting power behind it. It also has the stock rearend and I'm not real comfortable with putting 260-300hp to that either.

So most likely I will be dropping in a GM 10-bolt posi rear and a mustang II up front when I can afford it. It's got a sbc 350/350 in it. It's not my first choice, but I have lots of parts and I kow them well. It's going to need some tweeking to get it right, but it was recently rebuilt. I'll be dropping in a Lunati voodoo cam, Vintage offy intake, mallory unilite dizzy, and a Holley 670cfm carb.

The interior is non-existant, so I will probably have to do something with that once I get the body and suspension taken care of. My goal is to make it look as stock as possible with a few subtle modifications and a bulletproof drivetrain. I want to do some long distance trips with my father who owns a 1948 Ford Business coupe.

Comment

Working...
                              X