Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rockinhawk
    replied
    If I could only go back! The car Matthew is refering to was J'ville Fla at a muffler shop owned by a friend of mine. At that time Fla had a strict inspection program, and a cracked windshield was a definate no-no. Iknew there were only about 500 of these cars made. for some reason It looked much bigger than a Stude Hawk. I could have owned the car for $150. I passed it up and later learned that the glass in my parts car would fit. By then the car was long gone. There is still a PH running around down there. I like to think it's the same car and someone with better foresight than me saved it. NT

Neil Thornton
    Hazlehurst, GA
    '57 Silver Hawk
    '56 Sky Hawk
    '51 2R16 dump truck
    Many others.

Leave a comment:

• rockinhawk
    replied
    If I could only go back! The car Matthew is refering to was J'ville Fla at a muffler shop owned by a friend of mine. At that time Fla had a strict inspection program, and a cracked windshield was a definate no-no. Iknew there were only about 500 of these cars made. for some reason It looked much bigger than a Stude Hawk. I could have owned the car for $150. I passed it up and later learned that the glass in my parts car would fit. By then the car was long gone. There is still a PH running around down there. I like to think it's the same car and someone with better foresight than me saved it. NT

Neil Thornton
    Hazlehurst, GA
    '57 Silver Hawk
    '56 Sky Hawk
    '51 2R16 dump truck
    Many others.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    I'm suprised that my grandad hasn't chimed in with the story of the P-Hawk he didn't buy. This was in the early 70's IIRC, and the car was dirt cheap. He didn't buy it because it had a busted windshield. He thought it was cost a fortune to have a glass made, and passed. Once he learned more about the marque, he found out that the windshield from the GT Hawk parts cat he had at the time would've fit just fine. [B)]

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    I'm suprised that my grandad hasn't chimed in with the story of the P-Hawk he didn't buy. This was in the early 70's IIRC, and the car was dirt cheap. He didn't buy it because it had a busted windshield. He thought it was cost a fortune to have a glass made, and passed. Once he learned more about the marque, he found out that the windshield from the GT Hawk parts cat he had at the time would've fit just fine. [B)]

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    Check the other thread on Arizona Auctions as the Packard Hawk was hammered sold at the RM sale for $67.5K plus fees within the past 20 minutes.

See you in the future as I write about our past

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    Check the other thread on Arizona Auctions as the Packard Hawk was hammered sold at the RM sale for $67.5K plus fees within the past 20 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    In 1961, I turned down a typical one owner used '58 Packard Hawk for $375. I didn't see a need to buy it since I had an excellent '57 President Classic at the time (and a '54 Ford campus car purchased from a Ford dealer for $35). The Packard Hawk was traded in to the local Chevrolet dealer. A wholesaler that picked up the car from the Chevy dealer offered it to me for $375. I figure that he probably paid $350, or less, for this average three year old Packard.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    In 1961, I turned down a typical one owner used '58 Packard Hawk for $375. I didn't see a need to buy it since I had an excellent '57 President Classic at the time (and a '54 Ford campus car purchased from a Ford dealer for $35). The Packard Hawk was traded in to the local Chevrolet dealer. A wholesaler that picked up the car from the Chevy dealer offered it to me for $375. I figure that he probably paid $350, or less, for this average three year old Packard.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    Barry, my 15 year old brother actually bought the car with my Dad. They had to walk to the back of the Junk Yard and it was not only wet but muddy and the car was sitting on its tires in mud. He was not a happy camper but the car was pulled out and taken home. Motor work was done Super Charger rebuilt and many parts were bought. Then it set in a heated garage in the dry until 2 years ago when my brother-in-law bought it pulled to PA disassembled it and we are now finally putting it back together. Can't wait until it is finished and back on the road.

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    Barry, my 15 year old brother actually bought the car with my Dad. They had to walk to the back of the Junk Yard and it was not only wet but muddy and the car was sitting on its tires in mud. He was not a happy camper but the car was pulled out and taken home. Motor work was done Super Charger rebuilt and many parts were bought. Then it set in a heated garage in the dry until 2 years ago when my brother-in-law bought it pulled to PA disassembled it and we are now finally putting it back together. Can't wait until it is finished and back on the road.

Leave a comment:

• TX Rebel
    replied
    Don, My K9 was also purchased from a junk yard- back in '70, just as it was being placed into the crusher, for even less than you paid for yours. At the time it was just an oddball used car from a defunct manufacturer, and had little value except to a few mostly penniless car nuts like me. A perfect example would have done well to bring $1500. back then. (Though it should be remembered that gold was $32./oz., and new full sized cars sold for about $4K)
    Barry'd in Studes

Barry'd in Studes

Leave a comment:

• TX Rebel
    replied
    Don, My K9 was also purchased from a junk yard- back in '70, just as it was being placed into the crusher, for even less than you paid for yours. At the time it was just an oddball used car from a defunct manufacturer, and had little value except to a few mostly penniless car nuts like me. A perfect example would have done well to bring $1500. back then. (Though it should be remembered that gold was $32./oz., and new full sized cars sold for about $4K)
    Barry'd in Studes

Barry'd in Studes

Leave a comment:

• bonehead007
    replied
    Who was the PH owner that he interviewed in the article. Perhaps he gave the misinformation to the articles author..Granted parts of it are way off but, it does bring attention to the car...

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Leave a comment:

• bonehead007
    replied
    Who was the PH owner that he interviewed in the article. Perhaps he gave the misinformation to the articles author..Granted parts of it are way off but, it does bring attention to the car...

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    Steve Kash, the article's author must be a "stringer" who write occasionally for AutoWeek. As all have said he did not do much, if any, homework for this piece. I personally know of a P-H that may be unaccounted for but has been in my family for 35 years. When purchased from the junk yard it was a $440.00 investment. Today it is about 50% restored ready for reassembly. The Red and Black P-H being sold by RM Auctions is not an original paint schemed car. It has definitely been repainted.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X