Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine rebuild

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Engine rebuild

    For those of you who've been following my blown engine saga, it's in the shop getting a complete rebuild. There's evidence of water leaking on the head gasket as well a valve seats which were supposed to be hardened but weren't. It's supposed to be done in about three weeks, then I have to keep it under 50MPH for the first 1000 miles, then get the oil changed. I'm going to get a flashing red light to put in the rear window when I'm on a limited-entry road, as everyone goes about eighty these days. Valvoline V-1 oil and Amsoil have been recommended, and I'm going to start using name-brand gas to see if there's a difference in performance. More later.
    peter lee

  • #2
    Great to hear you are moving forward in getting your engine/car repaired and enjoyable again! I'm not so sure of the 1000 mile "under 50MPH" break-in.

    In today's world of phone texting distracted drivers, I don't think I would risk such a disparity in "closing rate speed" among such a crowd. Perhaps, it would be better to calculate some "static" run time, and work in some local grocery runs, pleasant rural jaunts, and errands before sharing the "fast lanes" with a rushing crowd that would only see you as a vintage poking nuisance, or a potential target for "Roadkill!"

    Good luck, and once it is operational, share some pictures!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

    SDC member since 1975

    Comment


    • #3
      You mind me asking where you are getting your engine rebuilt?

      I'm getting my short block done this winter (haven't decided if I'm going to do it myself or not) and then I'm buying a pair of deepnhocks heads and maybe his intake to take full advantage of the FI I'm running
      1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

      Comment


      • #4
        Best way I've found to break in a new engine is as soon as you have about a 100 miles on it take it out and run it for a trip at least a hour each way at road speeds. Speed up a little and coast it down every so often but keep it up over 50. It takes a little long term heat build up to completely set the rings.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm getting my short block done this winter (haven't decided if I'm going to do it myself or not) and then I'm buying a pair of deepnhocks heads and maybe his intake to take full advantage of the FI I'm running[/QUOTE]

          I don't mean to high jack this thread but would you mind telling me what FI you are running. I'm thinking of the same process myself (rebuilt but with Deep n Hock heads & intake) but haven't decided on the FI unit to use. Just wondering what you settled on.
          Thanks!

          Comment


          • #6
            Mega-Squirt, Mega-Spark 2.

            Comment


            • #7
              My rebuilds, 10 times 30 to 60 at full throttle to seat the rings. Change the oil at 100 miles, then drive it.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm sure there are as many ways to break in a rebuilt engine as there are machinists who do this type of work. This may be a case of being extra cautious or CYA as we understand it. I do mostly local driving anyway, but as it's kind of exurban here, cars often go above 50mph. Maybe I'll just drive around the block continuously until the thousand miles are up.
                peter lee

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                  I'm sure there are as many ways to break in a rebuilt engine as there are machinists who do this type of work. This may be a case of being extra cautious or CYA as we understand it. I do mostly local driving anyway, but as it's kind of exurban here, cars often go above 50mph. Maybe I'll just drive around the block continuously until the thousand miles are up.
                  When I made my initial post on this thread, I wasn't thinking about that. I googled East Northport and, only then, did I realize you are on Long Island. If you lived in "rural New York," which many folks in other parts of the country don't think exists, that wouldn't be such a problem. Instead, I have learned a NEW WORD...EXURBAN...like what is happening all around me, as folks rush away from such overcrowded places...only to destroy the peace and quiet, chase away the wildlife, and begin to demand the local government operate the same way as the one from which they escaped.

                  No matter what method you use to break in the engine, I still wish you the best, and look forward to a happy report.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

                  SDC member since 1975

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I haven't mentioned the (considerable) cost of the rebuild because people in other parts of the country don't realize how expensive everything here on Long Island is. We have 27 of the richest zip codes, and even if you're not among the wealthiest citizens, everything is more expensive, including the staples of food, transportation, insurance, taxes, labor, and especially real estate. While there is some "low(er) priced" housing, the median is around $400k +. You need $80k per annum just to maintain a modest lifestyle. As for the Sky Hawk, it's a major source of enjoyment for me and I'm going to keep it for as long as I can.
                    peter lee

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by what huh View Post
                      You mind me asking where you are getting your engine rebuilt?

                      I'm getting my short block done this winter (haven't decided if I'm going to do it myself or not) and then I'm buying a pair of deepnhocks heads and maybe his intake to take full advantage of the FI I'm running
                      Thomas Engine rebuilders in Deer Park, LI. There must be many available in NJ.
                      peter lee

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Alan View Post
                        Mega-Squirt, Mega-Spark 2.
                        Sorry, but I have no idea what that means. Please clarify.
                        peter lee

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ndynis View Post
                          I'm getting my short block done this winter (haven't decided if I'm going to do it myself or not) and then I'm buying a pair of deepnhocks heads and maybe his intake to take full advantage of the FI I'm running
                          I don't mean to high jack this thread but would you mind telling me what FI you are running. I'm thinking of the same process myself (rebuilt but with Deep n Hock heads & intake) but haven't decided on the FI unit to use. Just wondering what you settled on.
                          Thanks![/QUOTE]

                          Assuming "FI" means fuel intake and not fuel injection, the answer is stock.
                          peter lee

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jclary View Post
                            When I made my initial post on this thread, I wasn't thinking about that. I googled East Northport and, only then, did I realize you are on Long Island. If you lived in "rural New York," which many folks in other parts of the country don't think exists, that wouldn't be such a problem. Instead, I have learned a NEW WORD...EXURBAN...like what is happening all around me, as folks rush away from such overcrowded places...only to destroy the peace and quiet, chase away the wildlife, and begin to demand the local government operate the same way as the one from which they escaped.

                            No matter what method you use to break in the engine, I still wish you the best, and look forward to a happy report.
                            Thanks for your good wishes. Whatever available land is left here in Southampton, where my car is garaged, is rapidly being destroyed by one-percenters building Hamptons Mc Mansions which they rarely occupy. The only upside is they pay school taxes but their kids go to school (probably prive in Manhattan) elsewhere.
                            peter lee

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Pete, was replying to ndynis above my post. Just Google it and find the info on fuel injection. But to do it you have to be an old Heath Kitter.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X