No announcement yet.

Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe that the Datsun early "Z" series also used the Dunlap cylinders as I replaced those on my old Avanti that had frozen due to the wrong adjustment on the booster push rod...

Comment

Looking on-line, a company called, Porterfield Brakes advertises several brake shoe liner compounds, to include Street Performance, and all out Racing. They can re-line any shoe core. If I were still running drum brakes, they'd get my business, at least a one time trial. It would be nice to step on the pedal and the car simply stop like its supposed to, at any speed.

Comment

I recently got behind the wheel of my newly acquired (rescued) 62 GT hawk after having not had a Stude 'driver' for many many years. After having been driving a 1982 280ZX and a 1988 BMW series 3 (old aren't they?!) for the intervening years, the drive in the GT was almost scary. I had forgotten how God-awfully heavy and arcane these have become in relation to what we drive now. To be honest, I won't criticise anybody for upgrading to ANY DB system that will work on a Stude, despite the fact that I prefer my two Hawks to be left with the Drums they have (sorry, something of a purist...). I cannot, however, fathom the deriding of the Bendix/Dunlop system in favour of admittedly good aftermarket replacements. It all comes down to how bloody hard do you want to drive that old car. Our Studes are HEAVY- shouldn't we just know that and drive accordingly, well within the characteristics of our cars. I will more than likely cave-in for a DB conversion one day, but only because the cost of new drums is gonna make it prohibitive .

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
          I believe that the Datsun early "Z" series also used the Dunlap cylinders as I replaced those on my old Avanti that had frozen due to the wrong adjustment on the booster push rod...
          Toyota Crowns used the same system, but with slighter larger pistons. When I had a '76 Avanti the local Avanti shop recommended using those cylinders in place of the ones that came on the cars. As I remember they were a direct bolt on.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
            As I remember they were a direct bolt on.
            yeahhhhh, except I seem to recall the crossover pipes were metric, so you had to get those also..
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
            X