Identifying V8 Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying V8 Engine

I'm considering the purchase of a Studebaker V8 listed on craigslist. Unfortunately, it's too far for away for me to inspect it.

Based on the location of the oil filter, it looks to be a full-flow block.

The seller tells me the casting # is 1554641 and the engine number is V581072.

I checked http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp and didn't find a match for this engine number.

Am I reading the web page incorrectly or possibly seller mis-reported the engine number?

-- Scott

00Y0Y_1ffm9PXhuCa_1200x900.jpg
    64 Avanti R1 R5529

The "V" would be a 259" motor. "P" is 289"
    sigpicIt is an addiction!

Comment

The engine serial number should make it a 1963, 259cu" Lark engine, which would have a full flow block. Unless the seller is declaring it to be something other then that, I don't know why you doubt what it is. Remember, the number shown on the published, engine sequence chart is the starting number for that year, and no ending number shown for 1963.

Comment

Thanks Hallabutt, for clarifying "the number shown on the published, engine sequence chart is the starting number for that year".

-- Scott

Today, 12:57 PM
        Hallabutt
        Today, 12:57 PM

Hallabutt
        64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

PCV set up suggests 61+ V8

Comment

Looks to be very clean compared to many I've seen over the years. Only thing I can see missing is alternator tension arm. Isn't caked with grease and grime from years of having had oil leaks and from pictured angle looks like driver's side valve has factory black over spray. I'd swing it in as is and take a chance. That is if it isn't over priced.
            Just my humble input,
            Kim

Comment

Could be a "Junkyard" Engine, since all the hoses are Cut, or NOT.
              But it is very complete right down to the Converter Housing, (probably Torque Converter) and
              Borg Warner Flight-O-Matic Trans.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
              X