Photo Request Fulton Sun Visor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Request Fulton Sun Visor

I just bought a Fulton Sunshield that I plan to install on Dad's 50 Champion. This thing is a lot wider (front to back) than I was expecting. We currently have Dad's car stripped down to nothing but the body tub sitting on the chassis. We have held it in place but without the front clip of the car in place, it is hard to visualize how it will look.

If anyone has an original Fulton installed on their 47 to 52 Champion, please post some pictures of it. 50 & 51 models obviously give a better perspective, but I would appreciate seeing photos of any of these years. A close up of the side mount bracket would also be helpful to get a feel for their location in relation to the curve from roof down to windshield post.

Thanks
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

I used to have some closeup pictures, but can't find them right now. Here are a few pictures of cars I have in my files.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I found some of the pictures. The visor I was going to use did not have the brackets and I was just taking pictures for ideas so i don't know what models these are.
      Attached Files
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

I believe Howard's photos in post #2 are actually Studebaker factory visors, not Fultons. The first two photos in post #3 are of my visor on a '51 Starlight, which is also Studebaker factory. Front to back at the center stainless trim is 13 inches. His third picture is a Comet brand; one I've never heard of. Any of these, including the factory visors are adjustable at the center and each end to achieve whatever rake pleases you. This can also determine exactly where you want it clamped to the rain gutter.
        There are several center attachments, depending on one piece or two piece windshields.
        Two piece windshields, which your '50 probably has unless it is a Starlight or Convertible, usually had a center bracket that attached to the windshield divider bar. Aftermarket visors for one piece windshields had a rod that mounted to the leading edge of the cowl that the bracket was attached to. Sometimes these rods were also used with two piece windshields.Click image for larger version

Name:	visor-cowl rod.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1715653 The factory windshield used a roof mounted bracket. Click image for larger version

Name:	PA270496.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1715654
        Last edited by rockne10; 07-17-2017, 08:23 PM. Reason: add photos
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Wayne,
          Fulton Co. (out of Milwaukee) made quite a few visors, several of which are width adjustable.
          We would need to see pictures of your visor to determine what your options are....
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The width (side to side) of our visor is certainly adjustable. Maybe depth is the correct term for the measurement I was asking about. I am talking leading edge of visor to rear edge measured at the center stainless trim. Brad said his visor is 13" at the center trim which sounds about the same as the visor I bought.

Still hoping for a photo of a Fulton on one of these cars.

Howard, I appreciate the photos. The side view helps give an idea of the profile of a 13" visor on this body style.
            Last edited by wdills; 07-18-2017, 04:43 AM.
            Wayne
            "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

When I put a Comet like the third one in post number 3 on my 50 Commander Starlight coupe, I still had to cut it to get it narrow enough. The cuts were hidden by the center section. Also the visor will be much more stable if you attach a center rod down to the cowl, like the first picture in post number 4. The center attachment to the roof like the second picture in post number 4 is much less stable at speed and will vibrate.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
              X