1955 Champion/Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Champion/Hawk?

Not sure how this car was put together, interesting though.http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/6174786569.html

They say "Golden Hawk hood" when it really has a complete 1963 Hawk front clip/nose/doghouse.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Interesting creation, but the six cylinder kills it for me.

Comment

GT Hawk will look better with earlier hoods, rather than this way.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
          GT Hawk will look better with earlier hoods, rather than this way.
          Very interesting, as I was just thinking the exact opposite; I prefer the '63-64 GT hood, side grilles and headlight rims on the earlier cars.

Another JMHO, this modified retained the '55 front bumper guards, but the first thing I've done on any '55-up C/K I've owned is remove the front bumper guards; hate 'em.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I agree, it's a very Rich/Classic looking little Hawk Coupe as it is. Just sad about the non V8 Engine.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hm. I really do like the look of this car...at first glance it could (at a multi-make cruise-in) be mistaken for a '56 Flight Hawk. Do I recall there being some sort of supercharging setup available for the old Champion six...?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                Hm. I really do like the look of this car...at first glance it could (at a multi-make cruise-in) be mistaken for a '56 Flight Hawk. Do I recall there being some sort of supercharging setup available for the old Champion six...?
                Paxton in the old days.

Looks like a sound car to me. I don't care for the front clip though. If he's going to all that trouble I'd want a 53 or 54 front end.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  They say "Golden Hawk hood" when it really has a complete 1963 Hawk front clip/nose/doghouse.
                  ...AND a GT Hawk dashboard!
                  Mike Davis
                  1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
                    ...AND a GT Hawk dashboard!
                    GT tail lights and stainless trim as well! What I wonder is why they didn't use the full GT Hawk stainless trim moulding from headlight rims to tail light housings? Perhaps it would be better to just remove the stainless trim pieces from the tops of the front fenders and fill in the holes, I don't like the abrupt end to it at the back edge of the front fenders. The total interior redesign, with the GT dash, color cooridinated door and quarter panels along with the deluxe Champion steering wheel, horn button, door latch handles and window cranks, all with matching patina, is quite impressive! As it is I'm sure this car attracts a good deal of attention! With just a couple more carefully executed modifications it could be quite stunning. Modifications such as the he addition of a supercharger set up, as was mentioned by Steve T, in post #7, to the '55 185" flathead, if indeedthat is what it is? Or perhaps a V8, an R series version would be ideal, with corresponding brake, suspension and driveline components, if they are more readily accessible?

Mark
                    sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

It's an interesting mongrel. Those long and heavy hoods on the Hawks must be a bear to lift. At my age, I don't think I could lift the hood. I prefer the weight of my Lark's hood.
                      Rog
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Do I recall there being some sort of supercharging setup available for the old Champion six...?
                        Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                        Paxton in the old days.
                        Somehow, even being there in the day, I missed the Paxton kit for the Champion. Any links to literature, ads, details?

jack vines
                        Last edited by PackardV8; 07-17-2017, 07:58 PM.
                        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                          Do I rSomehow, even being there in the day, I missed the Paxton kit for the Champion. Any links to literature, ads, details?

jack vines
                          Maybe you were like I was in those days - I just ignored six cylinder cars and things related to them.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                            Do I rSomehow, even being there in the day, I missed the Paxton kit for the Champion. Any links to literature, ads, details?

jack vines
                            Just a guess really. I mean, you could get them for corvairs and VWs right?
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              Maybe you were like I was in those days - I just ignored six cylinder cars and things related to them.
                              No, because I drove a '56 Flight Hawk. If there'd been a Paxton kit for the Champion, I'd probably have noticed it.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X