Anybody know this '56 Golden Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know this '56 Golden Hawk?

Does anyone know anything about the '56 Golden Hawk, green and white, shown for sale in the Gateway facility in Tampa?

How about some kind of a link.

Comment

It's on the Gateway inventory list. It's been listed on eBay as a classified ad for several weeks. If I had access to the real VIN I could search the production orders. But that wouldn't help much with the current condition or recent history. Pretty car. But the VIN on the eBay listing is pure gibberish. For what it's worth, Gateway's positive rating on eBay is 77.4%. Just quoting without comment.

Seems to me that a credible serial number was posted on eBay some weeks back. Very odd.(EDIT) But see my post #7 below. It might have been the photo I saw earlier, not the description in the listing.

http://gatewayclassiccars.com/tampa/...hawk-S933.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Studebaker-Golden-Hawk-/162518930345?hash=item25d6e213a9:g:O7gAAOSwcB5ZMOQ5&vxp=mtr

Last edited by riversidevw; 07-15-2017, 07:25 AM.
      Gil Zimmerman
      Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
      1956 Golden Hawk
      1958 Packard Hawk
      1958 President
      1963 Avanti R2

Comment

This in my backyard, about 15 minutes from my house. If any one would like me to check it out, i will be happy to oblige.
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Scroll down to the 100+ photos, there's one of the serial number and another of the body tag. Was a rare car as originally built.

Comment

Originally posted by riversidevw View Post
            It's on the Gateway inventory list. It's been listed on eBay as a classified ad for several weeks. If I had access to the real VIN I could search the production orders. But that wouldn't help much with the current condition or recent history. Pretty car. But the VIN on the eBay listing is pure gibberish. For what it's worth, Gateway's positive rating on eBay is 77.4%. Just quoting without comment.

Seems to me that a credible serial number was posted on eBay some weeks back. Very odd.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Studebaker-Golden-Hawk-/162518930345?hash=item25d6e213a9:g:O7gAAOSwcB5ZMOQ5&vxp=mtr

The 77.4% positive feedback speaks volumes. With all you enthusiasts out there, someone must know the actual owner and a bit about the car~! Isn't there a 56J registry which could help match up the VIN with an owner~?

Comment

As a matter of fact, yes. From the photo of the serial plate, that # was listed for a Jean Thompson Aldrich in Florida. That's not always current information. Production order indicates that the 3 speed/OD car was shipped to a community in NY state in August '56. Car was all black.

It's possible that I spotted the photo of the serial # on the eBay listing (classified ad) when it first appeared, rather than the info printed in the ad.

Gil
              Gil Zimmerman
              Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
              1956 Golden Hawk
              1958 Packard Hawk
              1958 President
              1963 Avanti R2

Comment

I have noticed a lot of black 56Js get repainted some other color. But I believe they are beautiful in black. I recently saw a now red & white one that was originally red & black. I can understand that switch a lot more, red & black just does not appeal to me, but red & white really, "pops".

The subject car here could not be restored today, for the current asking price. A person can buy a fixer-upper for $5000-$10,000, then maybe $30,000 and five years later, have a car like this one is now. That is, assuming the resto is all that it appears to be. TO say the least, it has a very nice paint job. Just once in my lifetime, I'd like to have a 56J as nice as this one, but it probably won't happen.Anyway, after a few years under my care, it would look like any other driven Stude

Comment

Seems to me that a credible serial number was posted on eBay some weeks back. Very odd.(EDIT) But see my post #7 below. It might have been the photo I saw earlier, not the description in the listing.

The VIN as shown on the VIN palte in the door jam is 6033257. Do you know the car~?

Comment

Originally posted by colt45sa View Post
                    The 77.4% positive feedback speaks volumes. With all you enthusiasts out there, someone must know the actual owner and a bit about the car~! Isn't there a 56J registry which could help match up the VIN with an owner~?
                    Looking at the detailed remarks in the past six months' negative feedback for the ebay seller, I would not bid on this car under any circumstances.

Comment

Looks to me to be a nice one!....The standard shift is a TREMENDOUS plus in one of these!....Truly a shame it's not equipped with power steering though.

Comment

As a matter of fact, yes. From the photo of the serial plate, that # was listed for a Jean Thompson Aldrich in Florida. That's not always current information. Production order indicates that the 3 speed/OD car was shipped to a community in NY state in August '56. Car was all black.

It's possible that I spotted the photo of the serial # on the eBay listing (classified ad) when it first appeared, rather than the info printed in the ad.

Gil
                        Where in NYS was it shipped to. I knew of (and worked on) two black ones in this area. At least one had a very rusty start in Westchester County (I did mechanical and body work on that one.). The other was a drag racer in its early life (I replaced its throw-out bearing). If I knew it to be one of these two, I could probably give more information.
                        Besides these black '56 GHs, my '57 GH was all black.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It really goes from one extreme to the other with those 56J's....from the "don't push on the throttle pedal too hard" Twin-Ultramatic version, to the bulletproof, "let's DECK this baby" T-85 /OD model!!

It's too bad Studebaker didn't produce more R3 engines, and also more STICK O/D 1956 GOLDEN HAWKS!!!!!

Comment

Wondered if there was/is a '56 Golden at that 'Hackenberger auction'?

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              Where in NYS was it shipped to. I knew of (and worked on) two black ones in this area. At least one had a very rusty start in Westchester County (I did mechanical and body work on that one.). The other was a drag racer in its early life (I replaced its throw-out bearing). If I knew it to be one of these two, I could probably give more information.
                              Besides these black '56 GHs, my '57 GH was all black.
                              This black 56J was shipped by truck to Tomkinsville NY. Would seem odd for somebody to select a rust bucket for a quality restoration like this, but stranger things have happened.

My first Golden Hawk (in mid-sixties) was also an all black '57. In southern CA.
                              Gil Zimmerman
                              Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                              1956 Golden Hawk
                              1958 Packard Hawk
                              1958 President
                              1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Working...
                              X