Cam rocker assemblies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam rocker assemblies

I am in need of two (L&R) of these for a 289, NOS preferred, used if good condition.
    peter lee

Peter,

PM sent.

Ken Buchanan

Comment

I located the parts I need at Kanter Auto Parts. Has anyone had a less than good experience with them?
      peter lee

Comment

Kanter has been around for a long long time. You shouldn't have any problem with them.

Comment

Somehow, I've ended up on their catalog mailing list. They seem to be devoted Packard enthusiasts. While they have lots of stuff for big three collectors, they give Packard lots of attention. Not so much Studebaker, but I think that is due to our Studebaker suppliers doing such a good job, others find their time better spent serving the "low hanging fruit" of ordinary collector cars.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
            I am in need of two (L&R) of these for a 289, NOS preferred, used if good condition.
            Why do you believe that you need replacements and not just a good cleaning? If your engine needs these, it needs MUCH more.

Please refer to my reply on another post of yours (about engine rebuild).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Peter,

Keep in mind that Kanter is reconditioning a set of rockers (one side) for that price, there is an additional $100.00 core fee if you don't send in a repairable core. As Matt mentioned, they're pretty reputable. I have never done business with them but I'm guessing they are pretty old school and would (hopefully) understand the importance of pulling the plugs on both ends of the rocker shafts to clean their bores. If the pads show wear, a well equipped shop should be able to dress their radiused face. All the same, a guestion that you should ask them to verify.

While you no doubt ran modern detergent oil in your engine all these years, these engines didn't start that way. Amongst the parts I picked up at Chuck Naugal's place were several of the late model rocker arms on shafts. While they were randomly left piled in and old Lark and had plenty of desert dust mixed with thorns and spider eggs, they hadn't been cleaned so the old motor oil was still present. I have been washing them in diesel and the free up, beadblast the rockers, stands, and springs. It is amazing how packed the rocker arms' oil passages are, I use a 9/64" drill to clean the congealed oil out.

I am saying this because whomever is building this engine needs to understand how critical it is to clean every bore that oil has touched. Every plug, no matter how tough to remove must come out and the inside aggressively brushed! Block, crank, rocker arm shafts, it doesn't matter. In the process, you will become very good friends with McMaster-Carr due to the incredible variety of brushes you can chose from.

So far I have cleaned up 3 shafts and their respective rockers and stands. I have not pulled the plugs and cleaned the bores, I have not brushed the oil holes in rockers either. The purpose is to cursorily inspect and make sure nothing is damaged beyond cleaning and perhaps dressing the pad faces on the rockers. All are the late version with the larger pads and small oil feed hole on the shaft.

If anybody is interesred, let me know. So far, 2 are spoken for.

Ken Buchanan

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                Somehow, I've ended up on their catalog mailing list. They seem to be devoted Packard enthusiasts. While they have lots of stuff for big three collectors, they give Packard lots of attention. Not so much Studebaker, but I think that is due to our Studebaker suppliers doing such a good job, others find their time better spent serving the "low hanging fruit" of ordinary collector cars.
                Kanter has been around 1960, and started out as providers and reproducers of Packard parts. About 25 years ago, they started adding engine, brake, and suspension parts for GM, Ford, Chrysler products. I bought quite a bit from them for my 37 LaSalle, and never had any problems with anything not fitting right.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Rocker Arm Assembly 1955-1964 Studebaker V8 - 259
                  Price each, $225 exchange only
                  $100.00 deposit 23883P RAA 40967 per item 1

Rocker Arm Assembly 1955-1964 Studebaker V8 - 289
                  Price each, $225 exchange only
                  $100.00 deposit 23901P RAA 40967 per item
                  There are inaccuracies in the above Kanter listing. First, there is absolutely no difference between 259" and 289" rocker assemblies, so why two part numbers based on the displacement? Then, the rocker arms and shafts changed around '62 up to '64. The late shafts and rockers are definitely different than those from '51-'61. There should be a different part number for early and late assemblies.

And yes, we'll recondition them any time for $199 a side exchange.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

I compared Kanter's Lifter, Valves, Bearings, Rings, & Piston prices for same parts that they buy from Studebaker Vendors and saw that they increase the Prices 20 to 40%.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                    X