X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    Any of the 'R' oil pans have the windage tray
    There is also a baffle that bolts to one of the main bearing caps. As far as oiling goes, the later heads (570 and 582) had larger drain holes to help keep the oil from pooling in the rocker area.

Leave a comment:

• Stunt
    replied
    I'm not on this forum super often, but enough that I shoulda known better than even mention the term R3!

In any case, my first and second posts here somewhat contradict each other, so maybe everyone's right. But what I'm looking for is something more along the lines of an R3 than an R2, meaning supercharged, and more care put into correctly building a fast engine than just slapping on a supercharger and an R2 cam, which is what I have right now. I ended up making that more clear in my second post. So what I really should've said is, who on the west coast can build a sturdy Stude V8 street engine with some good power using the SN60 supercharger that I already have. I don't need it to be an R3 clone or tribute.

Drroter, thanks for the info. Has Pacific Auto Machine done performance work on Studes that you know of? They're certainly pretty close by. And yes, I'm familiar with Delta. They ground me a mild slant 6 cam for my 63 Dart about 15 years ago, and ground my Stude cam to R2 specs more recently. What a great shop!

Dan, thanks for mentioning the Novi 2000, but I'll probably stick with the SN60, since I already have it and all the necessary parts.

The other thing R3's had that I like is the windage tray in the oil pan. It seems like my engine is starving for oil at high RPM's. The windage tray was designed to alleviate this somewhat, correct? I think the R3 oil pump was a little longer because they had 6 quart oil pans, but I don't think the pump operated any better than the stock one.
    Are there other things that people do to improve the oiling on Stude V8's? It's a somewhat big concern for me.

Leave a comment:

• drrotor
    replied
    Speaking of the Northwest, you might also consider giving a call to Pacific Auto Machine in Renton, Wa. 425-226-0930 Talk to Garry. They have been building Studebaker engines for many many years. They do all my machine work. Their ad appears in our local SDC chapter newsletter every month. I also have my cams ground at Delta Camshaft in Tacoma 800-562-5500 They have all the cam profiles for racing and performance Studes, and have helped with the builds of several famous Bonneville Salt Studebakers. These are proven local vendors with high reputations.

Leave a comment:

• alaipairod
    replied
    Originally posted by Stunt View Post
    Just putting feelers out, for now. But is there anyone reputable on the west coast who could build an R3? Either on this forum, or someone that someone here knows? Pacific Northwest would be most convenient, but anywhere in the west.

Dave
    I'm having my '57 GH PS engine done by Vellios Machine Shop, in Lawndale Ca.
    Give Harry a call, talk to him about your needs..........310.643.8540....Tell him Rodney referred you........

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Originally posted by ddub View Post
    What I assumed when I read the original post is that Stunt was looking for someone to build an engine to R3 specs, no?
    Not really Don!....He did not ask if someone could build up a Studebaker engine to 'R3 specs'....What the OP asked is if someone on the west coast could build him an 'R3 engine'....a feat that, in reality, would be next to impossible to accomplish.

And yes, those super-rare original Studebaker R3 type cast iron heads would indeed be the 'key' to the entire project.....Ed

Leave a comment:

• ddub
    replied
    What I assumed when I read the original post is that Stunt was looking for someone to build an engine to R3 specs, no?

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
    gawd, the OP just wanted someone near him (Washington) to build him a R-3 "tribute" or "clone" type (post #6). does that make make you happy, Ed? i doubt it...
    You're imagining things Kerry...the OP said nothing about a 'tribute' engine!...He asked if someone could build him an 'R3 engine'....and frankly, the original parts needed to build a true R3 are NLA.....He may as well be told that now.

How about trolling somewhere else now Kerry???....PLEASE!!!

Leave a comment:

• SilverHawkDan
    replied
    If you decide to really step up the performance then ditch the old Paxton and purchase my new Paxton Novi 2000. I also have most of the pieces you will need to make it fit your engine. PM me if interested.
    Dan

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    Mike, The R3 oil pump was taller in the gears than the stock Stude pump. And Jack Vines is just a few hours drive from Dave, so it is a win, win situation.

Leave a comment:

• Corvanti
    replied
    gawd, the OP just wanted someone near him (Washington) to build him a R-3 "tribute" or "clone" type (post #6). does that make make you happy, Ed? i doubt it...

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    (We can count on THAT crew to ALWAYS try to stir the pot!! )
    Re-read the thread Ed.
    You started 'stirring' first.

Don't like the heat?
    Stay outta the kitchen.

StudeDave '57

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Just came back from a G-R-E-A-T car show in Dedham, Mass!!.....PERFECT New England weather!!!.....And I see that the 'usual suspects' (StudeDave57, sweetolbob, guido) posted their typical B.S. (We can count on THAT crew to ALWAYS try to stir the pot!!)

Just remember this folks...If the engine in question did not originate at Studebaker/Paxton as an R3 or R4 engine....THEN IT ISN'T ONE!!!......I don't know, perhaps the engine in question is ten times more powerful than a Granatelli R3 or R4....however..... IT'S NOT THE REAL DEAL....AND NEVER WILL BE!

It's too bad for all Stude fans that Studebaker folded before more of those engines were produced.......SN-60

Leave a comment:

• Mike Van Veghten
    replied
    Ha...Corley beat me to it...
    What's with all the crap everyone.

In reality, it boils down to a set of heads, exhaust and intake manifold...period.
    No oiling changes that I've ever heard, a tad higher compression...big deal, all of it.

Just find the parts desired, find a quality shop and write a check...not a big deal.

And performance wise, with the lack of a pair of "good" R3 cylinder heads, a couple of us, in Stude-land can port a standard head to outflow a stock R3 head. So if performance is the desire, finding the aforementioned un-obtanium isn't that big a requirement. If "having" said R3 parts is the big deal...nother story completely.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Might I suggest that the folks replying to posts they think are trolling/sniping just quit posting to the protagonists reply's. Pretty soon they'll need to answer themselves which takes all the fun out of it.

It seems some of you folks have raised you expectations lately. There's usually only one solution for that. Lower them!!

Bob

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    Point taken Ken! ....If the original parts are impossible to obtain, or if they have deteriorated to the point where they're unusable, modern replacements make complete sense to use.
    What irks me is folks who go on and on about how much better their new parts are than what the factory originally used.....Whether that's true or not is completely irrelevant,...what's important, I feel, is to label this modern, 'improved' Studebaker engine for what it is...a modern improved Studebaker V8, NOT an R3 or an R4 engine...............Those labels should be reserved for the REAL DEAL!!!
    Write the check, and/or do the work.
    That way YOU can call it whatever you want.

In the meantime- the folks actually writing the checks and/or doing the work are gonna do it their way.

And you know what?
    They're gonna call it whatever THEY want to.
    They earned that right...

Originally posted by Corley View Post
    Seems to me that people should be allowed their opinion without being attacked, no matter what side you are on.
    This is the main reason that I've dropped out of this forum for extended periods, I just get tired of the sniping.
    Seems to be pretty much the same user ID's involved in attacks a lot of the time.
    Yup, yup, and yup.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X