Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golden Hawk on eBay...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Golden Hawk on eBay...

    Swiss cheese???

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-studeba...p/142431687461

  • #2
    Kinda sad to see, but it looks like it may be too far gone to bring back to life. Lots of good parts, or maybe rat rod material.

    Comment


    • #3
      Whole new definition of "surface rust!"
      Last edited by riversidevw; 07-05-2017, 07:06 PM.
      Gil Zimmerman
      Riverside, CA

      1955 Speedster
      1956 Golden Hawk
      1958 Packard Hawk
      1958 President
      1963 Avanti R2

      Comment


      • #4
        Body donor time.

        The ad states "common Studebaker exterior rust", but to me that's beyond the common Stude rust. On the plus side the seller has provided plenty of pictures so a potential buyer can see what they are getting.

        Already a good number of bids, and no reserve.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

        Comment


        • #5
          car was for sale out this way a couple of weeks ago for $1000 or best offer now it is being flipped for a profit, I did not want to get back then as I am cleaning house.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California


          Comment


          • #6
            The body looks about like a 1956 Hawk that was regularly driven for nine years around here. Who knows where it was driven early in it life (not a Vernon/LA S/N).

            The Serial Number does not compute with me. It looks like a South Bend number, but I think that it is too high. Hopefully, one of the 56J experts can clarify this for me (and others).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

            SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

            Comment


            • #7
              Unusual in that it's not equipped with a clock, as it's well equipped otherwise.

              Craig

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by studegary View Post
                The body looks about like a 1956 Hawk that was regularly driven for nine years around here. Who knows where it was driven early in it life (not a Vernon/LA S/N).

                The Serial Number does not compute with me. It looks like a South Bend number, but I think that it is too high. Hopefully, one of the 56J experts can clarify this for me (and others).
                I'm no 56J expert, but the authenticity guide indicates that South Bend 56J serial numbers ended with 6033472. Highest serial number of cars accounted for in the roster is 6033469 (a parts car at the time). So no, the serial number doesn't compute. Not even close. And "LA" numbers all begin with 680...
                Last edited by riversidevw; 07-05-2017, 01:59 PM.
                Gil Zimmerman
                Riverside, CA

                1955 Speedster
                1956 Golden Hawk
                1958 Packard Hawk
                1958 President
                1963 Avanti R2

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by riversidevw View Post
                  I'm no 56J expert, but the authenticity guide indicates that South Bend 56J serial numbers ended with 6033472. Highest serial number of cars accounted for in the roster is 6033469 (a parts car at the time). So no, the serial number doesn't compute. Not even close. And "LA" numbers all begin with 680...
                  Thanks. The source that I use/used had the same ending number for 1956 Golden Hawk South Bend production as what you posted.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

                  SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I asked the seller about the VIN. His reply: "6800576."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by black56hawk View Post
                      I asked the seller about the VIN. His reply: "6800576."
                      Thanks. That S/N makes sense for a South Bend built car.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

                      SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        Thanks. That S/N makes sense for a South Bend built car.
                        Gary, doubtless you meant a Vernon-built car. The serial has been on the 56J register as belonging to a Geoffrey Fors in California. I didn't load the CD with production orders, but that's a relatively late production number. Last 56J at Vernon said to have been 6800601. Hard to see how he could have gotten the number so wrong for the listing.
                        Last edited by riversidevw; 07-06-2017, 09:46 AM.
                        Gil Zimmerman
                        Riverside, CA

                        1955 Speedster
                        1956 Golden Hawk
                        1958 Packard Hawk
                        1958 President
                        1963 Avanti R2

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          So there was a #6800576, Vernon production order written May 24, 1956, shipped June 8, '56 with destination Gilroy, CA (California's garlic capital). Body #2838, engine #S2461. Ceramic Green/Snowcap White. Usual accessories (Clock, radio, back up lights, etc, etc). Seems to match the rusted remains.

                          Gil

                          (Edit) If always in CA, wonder if the car was neglected in a seaside environment. Might explain rusting in corners of the roof. In high school, recall a yahoo in town (Manhattan Beach, CA) would buy a new Lincoln Premiere every couple of years. Always left outside, never washed. By trade-in time there would be severe deterioration of paint, beginnings of surface rust and corrosion of trim. Everything but barnacles!
                          Last edited by riversidevw; 07-06-2017, 09:45 AM.
                          Gil Zimmerman
                          Riverside, CA

                          1955 Speedster
                          1956 Golden Hawk
                          1958 Packard Hawk
                          1958 President
                          1963 Avanti R2

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                            car was for sale out this way a couple of weeks ago for $1000 or best offer now it is being flipped for a profit, I did not want to get back then as I am cleaning house.
                            The guy is pretty clearly a hustler, though I shouldn't comment on how people choose to make a living. Or their use of capitalization or punctuation. This is a "...great opportunity to own an Awesome american Classic?" Not so much. More like "earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust," to borrow a time-worn phrase. When parked in 1965, this was likely a decent and attractive automobile.
                            Gil Zimmerman
                            Riverside, CA

                            1955 Speedster
                            1956 Golden Hawk
                            1958 Packard Hawk
                            1958 President
                            1963 Avanti R2

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by riversidevw View Post
                              Gary, doubtless you meant a Vernon-built car. The serial has been on the 56J register as belonging to a Geoffrey Fors in California. I didn't load the CD with production orders, but that's a relatively late production number. Last 56J at Vernon said to have been 6800601. Hard to see how he could have gotten the number so wrong for the listing.
                              Yes, I was still thinking about the S/N in the listing that would have been after the South Bend production.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

                              SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X