which is your favorite Lark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which is your favorite Lark?

Is the first, second or final generation of Lark your favorite and why?

64 Lark type for me. Daytona Hardtop or commander 2dr sedan
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

1961 Lark. Has the styling similar to the earliest Larks, but incorporates most all of the mechanical improvements we associate with '62 and later. My favorite is the 1961 Lark hardtop.

Comment

i'd love to add a '59 Lark VIII 2 door wagon to my garage.
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
          i'd love to add a '59 Lark VIII 2 door wagon to my garage.
          Me too. I like the 59-60 Larks first, the 64-66 Lark types a very close second and the 62-63 not at all.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

The 59-60 is my favorite, but each model has its good points.
            sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Hm...not a fair question for me...dear old Betty ('62 Lark 6 Deluxe two-door sedan) is always going to be such a sentimental favourite for me that no other Lark could compare. I do particularly like hardtop and two-door wagon Larks, though. Something of a fantasy would be to find one of those very few fleet-order "1961 1/2" two-door wagons with the '62 nose. (Wouldn't do to modify a stock '61, as those are too rare in their own right. Maybe a '61 that'd been in a front end wreck?)

On another note, maybe Fried Green Tomato Bob will chime in here and make the choice easier by wiping out your third-gen "Larks", which Studebaker itself really didn't refer to that way except in early promotion for low-line cars or fleet items like taxicabs...

S.

Comment

Between 59-63, the only Lark type I like is the 63 Cruiser, and I like it a lot. I like all of the 64-66, except six cylinder 64s. Six cylinder 65-66 are great, but no 64s.

Favorite would be 66 Cruiser or SS, though I have not yet owned either.

Comment

I like them all (well, not a big fan of 1962 Larks), but I am partial to the 1963 Lark Daytonas whether it be 2-door hardtop, convertible or Wagonaire (and I like the Cruiser too).
                  I like the seat upholstery choices, I like the dash panel design (including the Vanity), and I like the exterior color choices. I also like the option of disc brakes, Carter AFB 4-barrel carburetion and R-series engine options. Oh, I also like the mechanical upgrades such as dual master cylinder and alternator. Sorry for the listing of so few reasons, I may think of more later.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I prefer the 59/60. I like the rounded body lines, and the single headlights. I have a 61 2 dr hardtop, but it is down a ways on my list of projects. I also have a 59 and a 60, both 4 dr, with no titles. I considered putting the nose from one of those on the 61, so it would have single headlights, but it would likely hurt the value.

Comment

64 Wagonaire for me. White... Daytona... 289... Supercharged... 4 speed.
                      sigpicsals54

Comment

i agree with the "two eyed" Lark look. if i recall correctly, there was an option for the '61 model for 2 headlights.
                        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

For me, a 63 Cruiser, then a 63 Daytona hardtop. Then a 61 hardtop, sans side trim, or at least not the 61 raised eyebrow front trim. Not a big fan of the 64-up box.Styled Too much like every other box on the road after that.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

My favorite would be a sentimental favorite. A 1964 Commander four door, V8 three speed with OD. This is the car I went with my Dad to buy from Przywara Motors in Runnemede NJ. It was his last new Studebaker. It served our family very well lasting into the 1980's before succoming to the rust mite.
                            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

It is also a hard choice for me because I like them all, except the 1962's of course, the Cruiser without the "floppy", too long rear windows is the only half way neat one.

I prefer the subtle little changes on the '60's over the '59's: in car wire harness with disconnect, curved corners Tail Light Lens, the curved up to the "Fin" quarter panel Mouldings, tuck-n-roll type pleated Door Panels, pleated Dash Pad, (Regals), prettier Nomad style 2 Door Wagon, Convertible & 4 Door Wagon Option, divided bottom cushion Reclining Seat option etc.

When it comes to '61's, although they are quite good & improved a lot (suspended Pedals, Saginaw Steering Gear etc., I would rather skip right over '61 & '62 straight to the '63 Models, with even MORE improvements.

I like the '63's a lot for their Engine options and more.

I also like the '64 Lark Types A LOT, probably the Winner, the latest and Greatest from South Bend & USA !

Not so much, the '65-'66's.
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 07-02-2017, 07:08 PM.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X