Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you going to the SDC Pacific Can-Am Zone Meet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thelma and I returned yesterday from Calgary, having thoroughly enjoyed this meet. It was extremely well organized and drew about 80 Studebakers with approximately 150 attending the awards banquet and listening to me speak. The Foothills Chapter members are to be congratulated on their fine work.

In my comments, I covered Studebaker of Canada's performance achievements in both rallying and racing. For example, most members were not aware that Studebaker competed in the Canadian Grand Prix in 1965 with a Lola Studebaker, driven by British racing driver David Hobbs in his second year of professional racing. David went on to be a successful racing driver in the U.S. and in retirement does color commentary on racing for NBC Sports. I was pleased to hear from David a few months ago after 50 years.

Another piece of trivia I covered was Bob Marcks' involvement in the 1966 model design changes, as well as 1967 model planning. Bob recently contacted me to reminisce about those dicey product planning days of 1966. That was a treat for me since it was also over 50 years since I had spoken to Bob Marcks. Did you know he was responsible for influencing Chrysler to bring back the convertible in the early 80s? He still drives his 82 Sebring convertible to early morning coffee daily at Starbucks.

It was a pleasure to renew friendships with many of the SDC members attending from so many states and provinces, ranging from San Francisco to Saskatchewan and points in between.

Stu Chapman

Comment

[QUOTE=Stu Chapman;Another piece of trivia I covered was Bob Marcks' involvement in the 1966 model design changes, as well as 1967 model planning. Bob recently contacted me to reminisce about those dicey product planning days of 1966. That was a treat for me since it was also over 50 years since I had spoken to Bob Marcks. Did you know he was responsible for influencing Chrysler to bring back the convertible in the early 80s? He still drives his 82 Sebring convertible to early morning coffee daily at Starbucks.

Stu Chapman[/QUOTE]

I believe that if his convertible is a 1982 that it is a LeBaron. Sebring convertibles came out much later.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        I believe that if his convertible is a 1982 that it is a LeBaron. Sebring convertibles came out much later.
        Gary, you are absolutely correct. Bob's 82 convertible is a LeBaron. We had been talking about Sebrings and the name must have registered in my mind. It was great hearing from him.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Wow can't believe the 2017 Pacific Can/Am is over .. This was a well run and fantastic meet .. I can think of very few low points and not even worth mentioning .
          Great cars and better yet great people . I'm a long time Studebaker member just getting back into the shows and events after raising a family and such . It was great to reacquaint with old friends and meet new .. The A&W cruise in with other makes was fantastic it gave us a great perspective on all makes and models and also provided many people there to learn and hopefully enjoy the rather large Studebaker turn out .. The banquet highlight was listening to Stu Chapman with his talk of the latter years of Studebaker in Canada .. Oh what could have been .. I'm more stoked about Studebaker meets now then ever and looking forward to more in the future .. Obviously I had no problems with the gt hawk and I'm feeling invincible with the car . hehe .. Some pics that I took of the event .. 9 Avanti's there and very few Lark types ..
          Attached Files
          Love my Lark

Comment

Nice SDC Kite/Flag/Banner, but it is too bad that they put a Pepsi Logo instead of a Stude. one on it.

So you are supposed to hold your head level to Read the "S" Logo, and then turn your head sideways to read the word "Studebaker"?
            They do not read together?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks for posting photos Randy. Pretty much perfect weekend. Nice chatting with you again, and great to know the Hawk got you home. Cheers, Junior
              Last edited by junior; 07-28-2017, 06:09 AM.
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Jett289,
                Thanks for posting pics so I could see what I missed. It obviously was a great event. Although I anticipated being there, the BC wildfires had other ideas for us. It was way too close for comfort (30 miles). Well they say the best laid plans... Next year?
                Cheers, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                  Well they say the best laid plans... Next year?
                  Nope!

NO 'next year' for a Pacific CanAm Zone Meet! Because the International Meet is within our zone for 2018, there won't be one.

Thanks to all who attended this year's meet; especially Stu and Thelma complete with a Studebaker of Canada history lesson at the banquet, and see ya'all in Tacoma next year!!

Craig

Comment

What area are you in Buzzard ? Yes no problems Junior and do you think you might go to the international in Tacoma next year ??
                    I agree with you Craig with have Stu and Thelma at the meet .. Highlight for sure ..
                    Love my Lark

Comment

Working...
                    X