Turning Wheels surplus sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning Wheels surplus sale

I've finally taken inventory and organized the close to 2,000 copies of Turning Wheels I've got around here and am offering duplicates FOR SALE cheaper than our regular sources.

One way or another, I've identified and set aside a full set (every issue since the September 1972 beginning) for my personal use. I have over 1,000 duplicates available, all in good or better condition, for sale according to the schedule below. ALL PRICES ARE POSTPAID in the U.S.

1-3 copies: $4.50 each, postpaid (club price $5.50 each, postpaid)

4-9 copies: $4.00 each, postpaid (club price $5.00 each, postpaid)

10-23 copies: $3.75 each, postpaid (club price $4.50 each, postpaid)

24+ copies: $3.50 each, postpaid (club price $4.00 each, postpaid)

The above prices apply to any issue dated 1980 or newer. I've only got 9 "extras" total for all the years prior to 1980, so PM me for a specific price on anything earlier than 1980. (However, for all practical purposes, I've got complete years for any year 1980 or newer. I'll gladly break a set if you just need one or more issues from a given year; you don't have to buy a whole year if you don't want to.)

Important to note is that Cornerstone Registration does not have many of the issues I've got available; they've been NLA for some time. So if you have a few holes in your set and want to fill them with individual issues that have not been available for awhile, here's the opportunity to do so. (Yes, I know some folks have entire collections they'd give away for the taking, but the "postage & handling" is the killer preventing those offers from being attractive unless you are on the premises....and these are in nice condition overall; not all curled up and/or moldy.)

To order, send the appropriate payment and requests to:

Bob Palma
    309 S. Jefferson St.
    Brownsburg IN 46112-1308

On the outside chance I don't have an individual issue you want, I'll credit your order accordingly and send the difference with the issues I do have. However, it's likely I'd have any issue you need. (Or post your needs here and I'll confirm having them before you order and will hold them for you until your cash/check/money order arrives if you say you want them.) Thanks. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 08-07-2017, 08:15 AM. Reason: Deleted reference to Canadian Postage Surcharge; see Post #35
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Thanks for making this offer, Bob.
    I will piggy-back this with comment and offer.
    On this SDC Forum, when someone has looked for a particular Turning Wheels issue that I had an extra of, I would offer it to them for two or three dollars (I forget which) including US shipping. I NEVER heard back from them. I do not know if this meant that they got one somewhere else, that they thought that I was charging too much (as you know, my charge was barely over the cost of the large envelope and postage) or they thought that I should send them for free.
    Not to compete with you - I have some extra issues from the 1970s, that you do not have, that I will offer at Bob's rates above.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Robert
      I have over 3500 extra copies if you run out ,let me know.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Markham
        Hey Fellas,

Why don't you'll donate them to the club, National Recruiting Program, the Southeast Zone is trying to get up and going? Now, if only the national organization would chip in some funding, some recruiting materials and an SDC Banner, we might just be able to stem the failing tide our leadership seems to think is over taking the club.
        Not to worry, Bo; the ones I don't sell will not be thrown out.

I'll also advertise them in Turning Wheels, since I think someone computed that fewer than 10% of our SDC members access this forum...and they will be available to our local Indy Chapter members at a lower price since they can be picked up with no "shipping & handling" expense.

Then, six months from now, I'll decide what to do with the remainders...I will dispose of them because I need the space, but they will not be simply thrown away. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hey Fellas,

Why don't you'll donate them to the club, National Recruiting Program, the Southeast Zone is trying to get up and going? Now, if only the national organization would chip in some funding, some recruiting mateials and an SDC Banner, we might just be able to stem the failing tide our leadership seems to think is over taking the club.
          The 1970s copies that I have would not be good to use for recruiting purposes.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Curious if extant copies of TW outweighs extant Studebaker Vehicles :-).

Comment

Gary,

Say it ain't so! These very copies make up the history and feel of the club. Alone, the fact that they have survived makes them representative of everything the club stands for. Assuming you have taken as good a care of them as you have your Studebaker pride and joy, I'd say they are representative of the very essence of the quintessential studebaker enthusiast.

The up and coming recruiting and retention program is all about catching that small flame and stroking it into a full blown enthusiasm. How better to encourage then to teach using any and all pertinent materials available. There are whole generations out there that have never been introduced to the information contained within the covers of this little magazine.
              I agree that the 1970s Turning Wheels should be preserved. I am only willing to get rid of extra copies that I have.
              I'll explain why I do not believe that 1970s issues should be used for recruiting. They do not represent the publication that is now put out (Have you looked at a 1970s copy lately?). The information as to individuals, addresses (including membership) and costs are far out of date.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Not to worry, Bo; the ones I don't sell will not be thrown out.

I'll also advertise them in Turning Wheels, since I think someone computed that fewer than 10% of our SDC members access this forum...and they will be available to our local Indy Chapter members at a lower price since they can be picked up with no "shipping & handling" expense.

Then, six months from now, I'll decide what to do with the remainders...I will dispose of them because I need the space, but they will not be simply thrown away. BP
                I have a closet full of TW back issues, including several from the 70s. Was planning to bring them to SB last May and give them away, but forgot them at home. So now they will sit in the closet till at least next May. I stopped getting TW, last time I renewed SDC membership. With the internet nowadays, I do not get much, "news" from them anyway. But I know many of our members still do not use the internet much. Before the internet, I used to buy pertinent back issues, and wait eagerly for each monthly issue to arrive. Once it arrived, I'd read it cover to cover, ASAP. But for the past several years, I'd toss it aside, and eventually skim through it. The internet has messed everything up. LOL

Comment

Need aug 75 sept 78 may 80 sept 80 june 81 june 84 july 84 feb 85 aug 86 feb 89

Comment

Originally posted by barry gibbons View Post
                    Need aug 75 sept 78 may 80 sept 80 june 81 june 84 july 84 feb 85 aug 86 feb 89

Hi, Barry;

I have all of those issues except August 1975. That would be 9 issues total @ $4.00 each postpaid = $36.

Since you didn't quite meet the 10-23 threshold price ($3.75 each) for 10 issues through no fault of your own, I'll not charge you a premium for the single September 1978 issue I do have, per the original post that said there would be a premium for issues older than 1980.

I've pulled those 9 from stock and set them aside with your name on them. Please confirm that you want them and that you are sending a check ($36).

Thanks. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Yes The check in the mail

Comment

First I have heard of this effort................

Hey Fellas,

Why don't you'll donate them to the club, National Recruiting Program, the Southeast Zone is trying to get up and going? Now, if only the national organization would chip in some funding, some recruiting mateials and an SDC Banner, we might just be able to stem the failing tide our leadership seems to think is over taking the club.
                        Jack White
                        Charlotte,NC
                        North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Yes The check in the mail
                          OK, Barry; thanks. "Here's your sign!"

BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

The check was written and mail before I made contact with you so just keep the balance. Can you tell me what the difference are between the 70 copies and new copies. I'm getting these copies because of a book that I'm reading that suggest in getting these months for rebuilding my 54 champion coupe. I'm looking for a book YOU CAN DRIVE A STUDEBAKER FOREVER by Dick Datsun do you know where I can get one?

Comment

The check was written and mail before I made contact with you so just keep the balance. Can you tell me what the difference are between the 70 copies and new copies. I'm getting these copies because of a book that I'm reading that suggest in getting these months for rebuilding my 54 champion coupe. I'm looking for a book YOU CAN DRIVE A STUDEBAKER FOREVER by Dick Datsun do you know where I can get one?
                              It's just the rarity, Barry. Turning Wheels older than 1980 are harder to come by, that's all, so they ought to be worth more to anyone who wants a complete set. There simply weren't that many printed because the club was smaller then and, of course, the older they are, the more likely they were thrown out or eaten by mice or got ruined in a moist environment or what-have-you.

While I have a complete set, there were 88 issues of Turning Wheels from the first one (September 1972) through the end of 1979. Of those 88 issues, I only have 39 extras to sell; not even half of those published.

I'm still organizing my library for the first time in decades and may have a copy of Dick Datson's book. If I run across it, I'll let you know right away, but don't hold your breath. My first step was to gather up, sort, and inventory all the extra Turning Wheels and get them out for sale.

Thanks again. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                              X