Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who designed the 1966 Studebaker front end...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The real "magic" in getting the 66 grill right was the centralized placement of the modern Hawk emblem. It covered an awkward void. Dodge designers did not understand this with the 4 section grill used on their trucks.

Comment

66 grill

I think the 66 grill and 66 interiors are some of if not the best looking Studebakers built. If I had majic powers, I would build a 64 Daytona hardtop with 66 interior,66 nose and the 340 stude block with powershift. I am too old now to really handel a 4-speed well.
      NEIL G.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
        Hey Stu--

This discussion about the '66s jogs my memory of something later still...namely the sketches you showed somewhere of Stude-style cues applied to early-80s Chrysler products...I remember a K-car sketch with a '66 Stude nose, and one of a circa-1981 Cordoba/Mirada with a GT Hawk-style nose on it...both looked quite worthwhile and would be interesting "phantoms" to build for real IMO!

S.
        You have a great memory Steve. Those designs are noted on page 110 of my book, "My Father The Car". They were produced by my Art Director at Chapman Morris Advertising. In fact, they were discussed in a recent recollection between Bob Marcks and me.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
          I think the 66 grill and 66 interiors are some of if not the best looking Studebakers built. If I had majic powers, I would build a 64 Daytona hardtop with 66 interior,66 nose and the 340 stude block with powershift. I am too old now to really handel a 4-speed well.
          If you go to the SDC web site and look up the 1964 Studebaker Daytona Convertible Owners Registry, you will find that we actually converted a 64 Daytona Convertible to contain 66 styling. This was all accomplished internally in Hamilton and the car still exists and is owned by a member in Ontario.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
            In post #7, Craig is correct. The final design was completed by Bob Marcks. However some of the running changes were begun by Canadian staff members.
            I believe you stated at the banquet, it was a gentleman who was a staff member by the name of D. Holloway, correct?

Craig

Comment

11 --- In my opinion, it would have been worth $2.00 per car to end a well-deserved long-time reputation for front-fender rust --- in addition to adding value to the car for prospective buyers.
              Bill Jarvis

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                Neil, we think alike and for over 20 years have been collecting parts to make the car Studebaker should have built the 66 hard top. I have the 64 95% rust free body and frame along with the parts to change to the single head light front end, dash , and very good rust free rear fenders, doors, trunk, and front and rear seats all done in black 64 pattern since the 66 covers are NLA. At first was going to use a 1968 rebuilt 350 hp 327 with duel 4's and 4 speed along with bucket seat but as I got older and didn't really want to be shifting all the time I sold the 4 speeds I had and then the 327 engine along with the bucket seats and went to 2 door bench seat. now engine can be anything that might fit under the hood. Now at age 76 I don't feel like spending the time or money to finish the project so any one really interested in it can PM me. lots of parts for the project. I still feel it is the car Studebaker should have built.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  I believe you stated at the banquet, it was a gentleman who was a staff member by the name of D. Holloway, correct?

Craig
                  Our staff member to whom you refer was James (Jim) Holloway. He was General Manager, Parts & Service. As I recall, Jim did the primary work on the internal ventilation system we called Refreshaire.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
                  X