Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What model designation would a 1967 Studebaker truck be assigned?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What model designation would a 1967 Studebaker truck be assigned?

    So lets say Studebaker vehicles continued to be built for 1967, and the truck line got a new lease on life...what model name/number do you suppose a 67 1/2 ton V-8 engine truck with 8 ft. box would have been assigned? Would it have been a 9E7, 10E7, or 11E7, or something completely different? Studebaker nomenclature for trucks never really made sense to me because there always seemed to be an 'exception-and-if-or-but-depending on' to the rules. What's your best guess?..just wondering. cheers Junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

  • #2
    What about the short bed R1/R2, full package truck?
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

    Comment


    • #3
      A 1967 could be a 11E7-122 but it would not be a "T" or a "C" Cab, they would both be NEW Designs; the "U" Cab and the "D" Cab!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

      Comment


      • #4
        They would need to build a 1965 and 1966 before they would need to worry about a 1967...
        Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

        The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

        �Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

        For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

        "All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

        Comment


        • #5
          Why would they have to use numbers???? Like some of today's vehicles, they could give them clever names. Today, we have trucks with names, Avalanche, Luv, Ranger, Silverado, Tundra, Titan, Ridgeline, etc.

          Studebaker could have added another "Trend" to their record. Perhaps truck names like, CONJECTURE, SPECULATION, OR WHATIF!...would have been appropriate given Studebaker's market position.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

          SDC member since 1975

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jclary View Post
            Why would they have to use numbers???? Like some of today's vehicles, they could give them clever names. Today, we have trucks with names, Avalanche, Luv, Ranger, Silverado, Tundra, Titan, Ridgeline, etc.

            Studebaker could have added another "Trend" to their record. Perhaps truck names like, CONJECTURE, SPECULATION, OR WHATIF!...would have been appropriate given Studebaker's market position.
            oh, I think I'm getting it...kind of like FAINT-HOPE or LAST DITCH? lol, junior
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              A 1967 could be a 11E7-122 but it would not be a "T" or a "C" Cab, they would both be NEW Designs; the "U" Cab and the "D" Cab!
              So 11E7-122...would the 122 be for the wheelbase? cheers, Junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jclary View Post
                Why would they have to use numbers???? Like some of today's vehicles, they could give them clever names. Today, we have trucks with names, Avalanche, Luv, Ranger, Silverado, Tundra, Titan, Ridgeline, etc.

                Studebaker could have added another "Trend" to their record. Perhaps truck names like, CONJECTURE, SPECULATION, OR WHATIF!...would have been appropriate given Studebaker's market position.
                The numbers were the ID. Like the rest, Studebaker had model names for the trucks, like Transtar and Champ.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

                SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                Comment


                • #9
                  So if Studebaker did market a 1967 truck light-duty pick-up truck line do you think they would have continued with the CHAMP or TRANSTAR names or come up with something totally new. Didn't the proposed car lines have new names for 1967? cheers, junior
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    1967 would probably have been a Studebaker-badged Isuzu pickup, provided the proposed line of rebadged Isuzu cars sold well to justify a light commercial line. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=merger

                    Craig

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      BTW since the truck rights were sold to Altman along with the Avanti....do these "rights" technically still exist in some legal limbo? Maybe a new Studebaker car is a tough sell....but a truck? Trucks are "hot" now.....(yes I remember the stillborn XUV or whatever it was)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by junior View Post
                        So 11E7-122...would the 122 be for the wheelbase? cheers, Junior
                        Yes, you did basically ask for the Model NUMBER, the complete model number code would carry the wheelbase at the end assuming the New Design had that length.

                        1967 = 11, E7 = 1/2 Ton V8.

                        Of course they had names; Champ, Transtar, Studebaker Deluxe, Coupe Express, but that would be determined by the Sales Dept.

                        Since Dodge and International "borrowed" Studebaker's names, why not call it the Durango?
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          How about calling the new for 67 one half ton trucks S-100's, three quarter ton trucks, S-200's, one ton trucks would be, S-300's.
                          Chevrolet had C-10's, Ford has F-150's Dodge has D100's etc.
                          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

                          "There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jclary View Post
                            Why would they have to use numbers???? Like some of today's vehicles, they could give them clever names. Today, we have trucks with names, Avalanche, Luv, Ranger, Silverado, Tundra, Titan, Ridgeline, etc.
                            Agree with Studegary. I suspect if you peel the onion back a layer or two, every vehicle manufacturer assigned alpha-numeric designations to their products that did not depend on the common names, which often changed and/or were reassigned to other models. I've owned a 62 Chevy Impala convertible for >50 years, and I long ago learned that if I wanted to find something for it in the GM parts books, I had to remember that it was really a model 62-1867.
                            Skip Lackie

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                              Agree with Studegary. I suspect if you peel the onion back a layer or two, every vehicle manufacturer assigned alpha-numeric designations to their products that did not depend on the common names, which often changed and/or were reassigned to other models. I've owned a 62 Chevy Impala convertible for >50 years, and I long ago learned that if I wanted to find something for it in the GM parts books, I had to remember that it was really a model 62-1867.
                              Yeah...I understand completely...a series of numbers is excellent for a parts book, but don't lend themselves very well to a forum post intended in jest flavored with sarcasm. My apologies to those who have switched off their "sarcasm detector."
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

                              SDC member since 1975

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X