Stoplight display with consequences.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoplight display with consequences.

I drove my 52 to Conway, Arkansas yesterday for our chapter's meeting. I am loving the overdrive now that it is working. Anyway, I got caught by the stop light at an intersection called 8 Mile Store and had to stop. A white vehicle (a Tahoe or the like) pulled up in the lane to my left. The driver complemented my car and we exchanged a few pleasantries. He told me he had a 57 Chevy Bel Air back home.
    The light turned green and I hit the gas determined to get across the intersection without embarrassing our make. I guess the other driver took this as a challenge because when I was at the top of second gear he passed me with the pedal on the floor. I ran up to the speed limit and dropped into overdrive as he continued around a right hand curve. There on the side of the road was a State Police car! The white vehicle got pulled over and I went on by. Not a good day for him.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

How ironic that the cars in your pic are Red, Yellow and Green......
    Evan Davis
    Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

I hadn't thought of that. Those were the only Studes present at the meeting.
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Sometimes being lucky is better then being good. The fastest car doesn't always win the race. Could do the "turtle and hare" thing here too.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

So... what was the trouble with the overdrive? What was it that eventually fixed it?
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I would do that to egg-on the less experienced drivers to goad them into smoking tires or what have you across the intersection. Especially if I had noticed the LEO down the road.

I was once the other driver and experienced the wrath of the bubble gum lights......

I also had one where I saw the LEO sitting off to the side "hiding" at the local stop-sign intersection at 1:00 AM. I pulled to the sign, came to a complete stop. I waiting to be "prepared." I stomped the gas, enough to make it impressive, but NOT squeal a tire. I stayed in it full throttle as I exited the town.

He was on his way with lights flashing and coming up fast, when I pulled it up to 55 MPH and did not go 1 MPH over. He passed me, shut off his lights, did a U-Turn a the next intersection, and went back to his coffee and donuts. I laughed all the way home.
            Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
            1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

I wasn't really trying to goad the other driver. I just did not want someone to pass me and then pull over in front of me and creep along while I wait on all the other cars that had stacked up at the light to go past. I have had this happen several times on this road.
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
              X