Avanti Facelift!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Facelift!!

My '83 (Blake) Avanti 'Everyday Driver' has been good to me!...I've put on about 250 of the 350 thousand miles which are on it's odometer!.....So, over the past few weeks, I decided to give her a facelift....suspension work, a complete tuneup, and fixing all the little chips & cracks in the fiberglass body.

Lastly, a new paint job, restoring the red color this Avanti left South Bend with!....The original color was Ford 'Rangoon Red', which never appealed to me, so I went with a 70's Chrysler 'Tapestry Red' (code R7), which is similar to original '63 Studebaker 'Avanti Red', but with a fine gold metallic flake in it.

I'll post more pix when I get her back together!....SN-60

(This new color is quite a bit darker than these pictures indicate)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SN-60; 06-24-2017, 07:40 PM.

Lookin great Ed!
    I still think an excellent way to complete the, "face lift" would be to tastefully modify a 56-61 Hawk grill to grace the front end. You'd be the first kid on the block, and may actually start a fad in the Avanti world

Comment

Yes, looks really good Ed! The red looks nice on an Avanti. Did you do the paint yourself?
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
        Lookin great Ed!
        I still think an excellent way to complete the, "face lift" would be to tastefully modify a 56-61 Hawk grill to grace the front end. You'd be the first kid on the block, and may actually start a fad in the Avanti world
        Thanks Joe!...I know folks around here will ask if I 'got another one'! !

About that grille...When I think of a grill grafted onto an Avanti front nose panel, I can't help thinking of the '64 Avanti advertised in TW years ago.....Someone installed a '48-'50 Packard center grille in that car.....That 'look' really didn't make it Joe!

Comment

Well, Ed, painted red it will be easier to find in a New England snowbank

Comment

Very nice red, I like. Thumbs down on the Hawk grille.... They don't look that great on a Hawk, and the cool vibe of the "face" of the Avanti would be rendered ghastly.
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              Thanks Joe!...I know folks around here will ask if I 'got another one'! !

About that grille...When I think of a grill grafted onto an Avanti front nose panel, I can't help thinking of the '64 Avanti advertised in TW years ago.....Someone installed a '48-'50 Packard center grille in that car.....That 'look' really didn't make it Joe!
              Maybe a 65 Stude grill, going all the way across, of course with the grill's headlight rings removed?

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                Yes, looks really good Ed! The red looks nice on an Avanti. Did you do the paint yourself?
                Yes Paul, that's my work (ulp!).....Actually, this is the third time I've squirted this Avanti.....The first time was in '95, just after I purchased it from Lee Newman (Newman-Altman)...I put the original 'Rangoon Red' back on it....By about '05, that red had faded to a horrible reddish-orange, so I gave it a quicky white paint job using Chrysler 'Glacier White' acrylic enamel....And in this last paint job I used Chrysler 'Tapestry Red', acrylic enamel (Centari)

PS....Thank you for the compliment! )

Comment

Originally posted by 4jc8z View Post
                  Well, Ed, painted red it will be easier to find in a New England snowbank
                  You're absolutely correct!....Sometimes it really was hard to see it in the midst of a snowstorm!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                    Very nice red, I like. Thumbs down on the Hawk grille.... They don't look that great on a Hawk, and the cool vibe of the "face" of the Avanti would be rendered ghastly.
                    Thank you Chris.

Comment

Ed: I like it!
                      "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I like that color Red on an Avanti. Nice job!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post
                          Ed: I like it!
                          Thanks very much Bob!

Comment

Originally posted by ndynis View Post
                            I like that color Red on an Avanti. Nice job!
                            Thanks for the positive comment!...I appreciate it!

Comment

Great Job! I like the new color choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X