Wire wheel covers studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire wheel covers studebaker

I know there are repo wire wheel caps but didn't someone make the complete wire wheel assembly ? where are they available ?

Joe Parsons

Dayton wire wheels and Borrani are the only ones I can think of . There was Kelsey Hayes but I don't know if they make them any more . Ed

Comment

If you are talking "caps" they were an accessory from 53 on. In 55 they were standard on the Speedster. Bolt on, but you should have your wheels balanced with them on. They are heavy.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

It appears that Joe needs the Studebaker Wire Wheel Covers, the WIRES! Not Wire Wheels, Not Caps.

As far as I know they were never reproduced and are quite rare in good condition.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have the caps just wondering if they ever reproduced the bolt on wire wheel ........I have the caps which are like new but the gold paint is missing need to have a gold paint to redo the caps . any suggestions on what gold paint to use on center of cap?

Joe Parsons

Comment

Go to a hobby or craft store, and get translucent yellow stained glass paint. It will look gold over the polished stainless.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Wire wheel covers studebaker

The wire covers were on other makes for that year with each make having their own cap. Search them on ebay.
              Steve

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

53 Commander Hardtop, A/T, P/S
              55 Commander Conestoga
              60 Lark Regal Convertible, A/T
              59 Lark 4 Door Parts Car
              62 Champ 7E7, A/T
              49 2R15 Stakebed

Comment

I don't know if it's still available, but I used VHT Metal Tint, SP-233 Gold, from Sperex Corporation, Gardena, CA, on my AC-2799 spoke-style wheelcovers on my former 56J. A couple of light spray coats used to do the job. But Bleche Wite white sidewall tire cleaner strips it!

Bill L.
                Bill L.
                1962 GT Hawk

Comment

But you gotta love the look of wire wheels on a Hawk or Speedster

Comment

Complete sets of the simulated wire wheel covers ("baskets") and caps show up periodically on eBay. Seem to typically be in the $300-$400 range. I bought one of those sets a few months ago. All in good condition but in need of polishing (3M Marine Metal Polish) and that gold paint for the "tristar" emblems. No missing wires or deep scratches. Hairline cracks at the valve stem indentation are common, not a big deal. They were last offered for factory installation in early '56 model year... early Hawk ads and road test photos often show them. A challenge to use with wider, more deeply dished replacement wheels, as they are held in place by lug nuts.
                    Gil Zimmerman
                    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                    1956 Golden Hawk
                    1958 Packard Hawk
                    1958 President
                    1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
                      I don't know if it's still available, but I used VHT Metal Tint, SP-233 Gold, from Sperex Corporation, Gardena, CA, on my AC-2799 spoke-style wheelcovers on my former 56J. A couple of light spray coats used to do the job. But Bleche Wite white sidewall tire cleaner strips it!

Bill L.
                      Bleche Wite took the gold off original caps too. Don't ask me how I know.
                      sigpic
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

My 66 Daytona has Tru Spoke wire wheels. Very trouble free and the look great. I think they are about 500$ each or so.

Comment

The 15" Wires are all the same, no matter what brand car they came from. However, the baskets that bolt to them, and the caps, are all Model specific. Wires are a lot easier to find than the Studebaker specific baskets...

Comment

Working...
                          X