Hot Weather & Stude Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Weather & Stude Driving

I see the high today here in KY will be 89 degrees, but 116 out in 29-Palms, CA. Soo glad I do not live in 29P anymore. The Studes held up very well there though, for six years all together, 1986-1989, and 1997-2000. Lots of good memories, including a slow climb of a learning curve, about driving Studes in the desert. Desert radiators, pusher fans, tricks for vaporlock, and how to make the most of 1960's vintage AC, are a few things that come to mind.

Here in KY, it seldom gets above mid 90s, but still need to pay attention to the Studes in hot weather.

Back in the late 1990's, my daily driver was a '63 Lark four door, (259 automatic), and it held up real well through a heat spell with temperatures in the hundred X teens including Austin's all time record of 117°! It had the standard two row radiator to boot...

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
      Back in the late 1990's, my daily driver was a '63 Lark four door, (259 automatic), and it held up real well through a heat spell with temperatures in the hundred X teens including Austin's all time record of 117°! It had the standard two row radiator to boot...
      Must be lots of flat land in Texas. I found out real quick, long upgrades in the desert, and 2-row radiators are a very bad combo. LOL

Comment

Hot Weather? Shoot, just open those Stude. exclusive, Right and Left Fresh Air Vents and be happy!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Here in Redding Ca the temps are similar to 29Palms. We just get more rain. The old man ('60 Champ 245) didn't like 114 in Redding on Tuesday. Ran hot all the way home. Not overheating, but much hotter than normal. Still, it only used a pint of coolant.

I'm curious, how's the Humidity in Kentucky compared to California for you Joe? I've been thinking of moving back there, if I can accomplish it. 'Course at my age, I should probably just stay here in Soviet California. The heat the last week though (most Summers, which I hate) has gotten me thinking of Kentucky again. Still, you know the reputation the South has for H-u-m-i-d-i-t-y!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Even here in "the great white north" temps are in the 90's with high humidity.We are not accustomed to these temps & most stay indoors.My GT has a 3 row rad. & 5 bladed fan & runs a little warmer than normal ,alas it has no A/C but one day it will,as this Is one option I miss when it,s hot.

Comment

At 85 today (in Ohio) my '55 Land Cruiser 289 (three row radiator) had no problem, but with all vents upper and lower at 30º the outside are whipped around inside, but wasn't a bit cooler.

Comment

From what relatives have said from decades of living with Studebakers in Texas, the only times there were ever cooling problems were when vehicles were really getting a workout. When hauling hay in July, a truck idles along at a walking pace while people would pitch bales of hay until they could not throw them high enough to reach the top - about six or so feet above the bedsides - my Uncle said with a load like that, the Champion motor would tend to run hotter than normal - then again, temperatures at that time would usually be @100.

Ironically, my dad said that my grandparents '50 Champion four door would run on the hot side going down the highway in the summer, but when you got into town, it would cool down to normal - he thought it was probably the fan shroud (round hole in square piece of sheet metal...) would not let enough air through at highway speeds.

At the summer drag races, my dad said there were a bunch of competitors who would blow the pressure cap waiting to go down the track while he would sit there in their '51 Starlight with that little 232 idling along and never getting above the middle...

Comment

Last Sunday when I left the county fair in Placerville CA. it was around 103 or 104. I hit Hwy 50 west for 20-25 minutes then surface streets for another 15-20 minutes the gauge in my 63 champ was reading about 3/4 of the way to hot never boiled over but our wonderful gas started to let me down after getting on the surface streets. It was around 106 when I got home. It was good traffic was light because I did pull over 2 or 3 times to feather the throttle and get that d--- gas going again. My champ is a v8 with an auto if that means anything.

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                    Here in Redding Ca the temps are similar to 29Palms. We just get more rain. The old man ('60 Champ 245) didn't like 114 in Redding on Tuesday. Ran hot all the way home. Not overheating, but much hotter than normal. Still, it only used a pint of coolant.

I'm curious, how's the Humidity in Kentucky compared to California for you Joe? I've been thinking of moving back there, if I can accomplish it. 'Course at my age, I should probably just stay here in Soviet California. The heat the last week though (most Summers, which I hate) has gotten me thinking of Kentucky again. Still, you know the reputation the South has for H-u-m-i-d-i-t-y!

The weather here in KY is mild, but humid and rainy. Though it mainly seems to rain on weekends, LOL. It seldom gets above mid 90s, but about five years ago, it got up to 106, which was an all time record, I am sure. In winter, it seldom drops to single digits.

I miss the desert, and would not mind to go back there for a month or so, sometime, but would not wanna live there again. But I'd choose the desert over the coast, if I had to live in CA. Its much more peaceful there, and I learned to appreciate the desert's beauty.

Come on over to KY, where our claim to fame is: "Fast women, beautiful horses, and good whiskey" LOL

Comment

Double check your tires, especially if you are still sporting some older ones. Make sure your tire pressure is correct. Low tire pressure will surely lead to failure when it hot outside.
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                      X