A Cali GT comes to Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Cali GT comes to Minnesota

My "new" 1962 GT arrived last evening from California - good bones, some TLC needed, runs well. Thanks to Forum member brngarage for checking it out for me locally, and thanks to Jeff (the seller) while we figured out logistics. Looking forward to sorting out the little bits, and getting to know the car. Jeff turned over a 30+ year history on the car in the form of receipts, e-mails, shop documentation (engine rebuild specifics to "Stage III" specifications, etc.), and that's helpful. Anyone that wants to hear about the car-shipping woes and communication foibles, PM me....8 days of frustration there.

I expect to be posting questions just as soon as I figure out what I've got.... thank you to Forum members for your ongoing commitment to answering questions for rookies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3141.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	1754184Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3145.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	1754183

Very nice!
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Look forward to seeing it somewhere sometime
      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Matt, in what California city was the Studebaker dealership located of which sold this car new? For what it's worth, my Hawk was sold new in Carmichael California.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Invoice shows "South Gate California" under "Delivered To" but doesn't specify the dealership - Bob's Studebaker Resource Page at http://www.studebaker-info.org/Dealers/page1.html#CA identifies three dealerships there, and I can't discern from the invoice which it may be - although there appears to be a reference to Long Beach, suggesting Byron-Wood Motors. I'm hunting the rest of the documentation to see if I can find another reference.

Comment

'Nice looking Hawk, Matthew. Congrats on getting it moved "back east" before it wound up in a container headed for OZ! BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              'Nice looking Hawk, Matthew. Congrats on getting it moved "back east" before it wound up in a container headed for OZ! BP
              Either of the above destinations, OZ, or Minnesota, are better than being crushed to the size of a washing machine, unceremoniously placed into a container with others, and shipped off to a smelter in China!

Best of luck with the car. Although the next two years may have seen mechanical refinements, the distinct traditional sleek Hawk side grilles (in my opinion) were perfect compliments to the Hawk's unmistakable center grille. That alone, makes it my favorite GT in regards to appearance.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
              X