Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geeze, I like this color combo on '55 Carribeans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geeze, I like this color combo on '55 Carribeans...

...but Ebony Black / Scottish Heather / Dover White on a Clipper 4-door?

YIKES! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I've seen a few '55 and '56 Dodge Custom Royal sedans in similar tri-tone colors, though the shade of pink may not have been as bright as 'Scottish Heather' used on the Packard.

Craig

Comment

I believe a 4th color would bring it all together. Maybe school bus yellow rear fenders along the bottom, opposite of the black on the front fenders.

Or maybe simply paint the top yellow, and leave everything else exactly as is. That would provide a layered look, from top to bottom.
      Last edited by JoeHall; 06-14-2017, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Looks like Neapolitan ice cream.

Comment

I really don't really care for that color combination. I also noticed that it says all original but restored 26 years ago. Original ????. I was at a show a couple years ago where i saw a Packard with a high end restoration entered in the original class. I said to him this is a restored car not original. He said I had it restored to original. He won the class as it was nicer than the actual original cars. I guess the judges didn't know the difference.

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
            Looks like Neapolitan ice cream.
            That's how I referred to my tri-color1955 Speedster, but it looked more like Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry with its Pimlico Gray, Shasta White and Coral (IIR the color names correctly). It was still in its factory paint job. The last that I knew, it was in Canada and painted solid black.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

REALLY... Scottish Heather?

Well Bob, when you get tired of being harassed about the Pink, just say it's your Wife's Car!
              Last edited by StudeRich; 06-14-2017, 06:44 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I love the 56 400 in scottish heather, and dover white.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Well Bob, when you get tired of being harassed about the Pink, just say it's your Wife's Car!
                  And she works for Mary Kay.

Craig

Comment

I have no quarrel with the colors. In fact, I believe they give the car a bright cheerful appearance, and not the huge drab slab-sided sedan behemoth single colored 1955s looked, back in the day.

I just clicked on the ad. Only a few hours left, 17 bids, not yet met reserve, and the bids are less than half the "buy it now" price. Selling huge four door sedans still seems to be a tough slog for the collector car market. I wonder how it would be going if this were a single color car in the same condition?
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
                      I also noticed that it says all original but restored 26 years ago. Original ????. I was at a show a couple years ago where i saw a Packard with a high end restoration entered in the original class. I said to him this is a restored car not original. He said I had it restored to original. I guess the judges didn't know the difference. Denny L
                      Gosh, Denny, are you going to enjoy my regular Hemmings Classic Car column coming up in the September 2017 issue.

If you subscribe, you'll have it in your mail box mid-July. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                        I have no quarrel with the colors. In fact, I believe they give the car a bright cheerful appearance, and not the huge drab slab-sided sedan behemoth single colored 1955s looked, back in the day.

I just clicked on the ad. Only a few hours left, 17 bids, not yet met reserve, and the bids are less than half the "buy it now" price. Selling huge four door sedans still seems to be a tough slog for the collector car market. I wonder how it would be going if this were a single color car in the same condition?
                        John, it would sell easier and quicker if it was one of the standard two-tone combinations. While I agree with you on liking bright colors on certain cars of the 50s, a given car and its colors must be compatible. A 1955 or 1956 Packard Caribbean convertible or 400 hardtop looks dandy in those colors, but not a 4-door sedan.

Here's a good example: My 1973 Mustang convertible is bright yellow. That color looks perfect on the car, IMHO, and I love it. It's the color I would have ordered had I bought it new (I bought it January 3, 1976, from the original woman owner). But my 1972 Buick LeSabre Custom convertible is a softer, muted yellow called Sandalwood. That huge barge would look ridiculous in bright yellow.

Or think of it this way, to be more -ahem- "basic." On the beach, a given skimpy bikini will be either attractive or gross, depending on the body it is cladding at any given moment....but it's the same swim suit in the same colors. I'm sure that analogy is easily understood.

As to the price of the subject car, 1955 and 1956 Packards and Clippers, especially 4-door sedans, simply don't bring much. I enjoy my 1956 Clipper Super hardtop, but have no delusions as to its "worth." Even $5,000 is tall money for that specific 4-door in its present condition. Look closely and you'll see that it needs quite a bit of attention that isn't readily apparent. BP

Comment

I defer to your opinions (Post#12) Bob. Your experience "in the trenches" of the business should carry credibility my sideline comments can't match. It could be that this is also a good lesson in where to go in establishing a general "value" of any given vehicle. eBay, has the largest audience, and finding someone dreaming about owning a "fringe" car, is most likely to happen with the audience as large as eBay viewers.

Another thing...when it comes to "Value"..."Popularity" seems to trump just about everything else! No matter how rare, well constructed, or restored, it seems that the cars with the popular features, convertibles, hard tops, movie exposure, etc., take the cake, and other well built, restored & maintained, get the crumbs. I'm as guilty as any in this regard. Until someone points them out, I find all post war Packards easy to ignore. Those of us with Studebaker Land Cruisers/Presidents (mine is a '51) know this.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Convertible with same color combo under restoration currently at Jims Rod Shop here in Yuma
                            Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                            jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              Or think of it this way, to be more -ahem- "basic." On the beach, a given skimpy bikini will be either attractive or gross, depending on the body it is cladding at any given moment....but it's the same swim suit in the same colors. I'm sure that analogy is easily understood. BP
                              Yep, that car looks like a beached whale, regardless of color!
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                              X