Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expensive Repairs!

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

[:0] While looking for something else this morning, I ran across a long-lost packet of information on the 1955 Champion Regal Coupe I bought at age 17 in 1963 and "restored."

I gave the original owners $75 for it(!) as a dead, modestly rusty car...remember, this was Spring 1963. They gave me several original documents, including a Service Receipt from long-deceased Peterson Shell Service at 16th & Kessler Blvd in Indianapolis.

The receipt is dated August 30, 1957. The outrageous grand total charged for a lubrication, oil change, and "change one tire" was $4.75!

Highway robbery! BP
    Boy, to be able to go back in time but with today's money in our pockets! I always think how it'd be fun to go back to South Bend after the shutdown, and pick and choose from the large leftover inventory of cars and trucks, with today's money!

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

[:0] While looking for something else this morning, I ran across a long-lost packet of information on the 1955 Champion Regal Coupe I bought at age 17 in 1963 and "restored."

I gave the original owners $75 for it(!) as a dead, modestly rusty car...remember, this was Spring 1963. They gave me several original documents, including a Service Receipt from long-deceased Peterson Shell Service at 16th & Kessler Blvd in Indianapolis.

The receipt is dated August 30, 1957. The outrageous grand total charged for a lubrication, oil change, and "change one tire" was $4.75!

Highway robbery! BP
    Boy, to be able to go back in time but with today's money in our pockets! I always think how it'd be fun to go back to South Bend after the shutdown, and pick and choose from the large leftover inventory of cars and trucks, with today's money!

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

That's $37.00 in todays dollars.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Lark 2 door
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

That's $37.00 in todays dollars.

JDP/Maryland
        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
        spent to date $54664,75
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,839.60
        63 Lark 2 door
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Expensive Repairs!

Highway robbery! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob,

When I bought my first Studebaker (a 1949 2R5 pickup) in January 1974 (also for $75,00 ) it needed new rear tires. I went to Settle Tire (which was next door to where Coggins Motors was located on Preston Avenue) and bought two recap snow tires and tubes and had them mounted for a total of $25.00. I think I still have the receipt here too.

Gary

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Bob,

When I bought my first Studebaker (a 1949 2R5 pickup) in January 1974 (also for $75,00 ) it needed new rear tires. I went to Settle Tire (which was next door to where Coggins Motors was located on Preston Avenue) and bought two recap snow tires and tubes and had them mounted for a total of $25.00. I think I still have the receipt here too.

Gary

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

When adjusting for inflation, that's about what we charge at the GM dealership I work for. $29.95 for the lube, oil and filter and $15 to mount/balance a tire.
                Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

When adjusting for inflation, that's about what we charge at the GM dealership I work for. $29.95 for the lube, oil and filter and $15 to mount/balance a tire.
                  Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler
                    I always think how it'd be fun to go back to South Bend after the shutdown, and pick and choose from the large leftover inventory of cars and trucks, with today's money!

Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    True, Bill.

I can't verify the following, but have no reason to doubt it.

A couple years ago, I ran across an older man who had been Sales Manager at Meridian Motors in Indianapolis. Meridian Motors was the final Studebaker dealer at 923 North Meridian Street, which had been Charlie Stuart Studebaker in better years. Charlie Stuart bailed in mid-1963 to concentrate on his bigger Oldsmobile dealership up the street.

Studebaker took over and ran the place as a factory store, Studebaker of Indianapolis, from mid-1963 until late summer 1964. They sold the store to some investors than ran it to lose money until Studebaker quit making cars, calling the place Meridian Motors.

The gentleman I talked to had been Sales Manager there and had written an advertisement that appeared in The Indianapolis Star, offering brand-new 1964 Studebakers for $1,695, delivered, in September 1964. Of course, these were Challenger 6 2-doors that had been sitting around unsold over nine months at the time. I know that ad was real because I still have a copy of it!

That old sales manager and I discussed that very ad. He stated that, by August 1964, Studebaker was offering those stripped, left-over Challenger Six 2-doors to the owners of Meridian Motors for $1,260 [:0] wholesale, FOB South Bend, just to get them out of St. Joseph County!

'Could've been! [8D] BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler
                      I always think how it'd be fun to go back to South Bend after the shutdown, and pick and choose from the large leftover inventory of cars and trucks, with today's money!

Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      True, Bill.

I can't verify the following, but have no reason to doubt it.

A couple years ago, I ran across an older man who had been Sales Manager at Meridian Motors in Indianapolis. Meridian Motors was the final Studebaker dealer at 923 North Meridian Street, which had been Charlie Stuart Studebaker in better years. Charlie Stuart bailed in mid-1963 to concentrate on his bigger Oldsmobile dealership up the street.

Studebaker took over and ran the place as a factory store, Studebaker of Indianapolis, from mid-1963 until late summer 1964. They sold the store to some investors than ran it to lose money until Studebaker quit making cars, calling the place Meridian Motors.

The gentleman I talked to had been Sales Manager there and had written an advertisement that appeared in The Indianapolis Star, offering brand-new 1964 Studebakers for $1,695, delivered, in September 1964. Of course, these were Challenger 6 2-doors that had been sitting around unsold over nine months at the time. I know that ad was real because I still have a copy of it!

That old sales manager and I discussed that very ad. He stated that, by August 1964, Studebaker was offering those stripped, left-over Challenger Six 2-doors to the owners of Meridian Motors for $1,260 [:0] wholesale, FOB South Bend, just to get them out of St. Joseph County!

'Could've been! [8D] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

$1650 invested in that 64 six cylinder would be $10700 in todays dollars, but the same money in the stock market would be over 50K today at even 6% growth. Of course, there is a 40 plus year storage issue too.
                        If I had the $1650 and a time machine, I'd pick a nice growth stock over a left over sedan.

JDP/Maryland
                        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                        spent to date $54664,75
                        64 R2 GT (Sid)
                        spent to date $62,839.60
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        51 Commander
                        39 Coupe express
                        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

$1650 invested in that 64 six cylinder would be $10700 in todays dollars, but the same money in the stock market would be over 50K today at even 6% growth. Of course, there is a 40 plus year storage issue too.
                          If I had the $1650 and a time machine, I'd pick a nice growth stock over a left over sedan.

JDP/Maryland
                          63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                          spent to date $54664,75
                          64 R2 GT (Sid)
                          spent to date $62,839.60
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          51 Commander
                          39 Coupe express
                          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:When I bought my first Studebaker (a 1949 2R5 pickup) in January 1974 (also for $75,00 ) it needed new rear tires. I went to Settle Tire (which was next door to where Coggins Motors was located on Preston Avenue) and bought two recap snow tires and tubes and had them mounted for a total of $25.00. I think I still have the receipt here too.

Gary
                            Gary, here is a Coggins receipt from 1971. Don't know what the items are, but they look cheap.

And below is my registration form for the 83 Studebaker Meet. When you adjust for inflation, it is probably a better deal today!

Leonard Shepherd
                            http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

quote:When I bought my first Studebaker (a 1949 2R5 pickup) in January 1974 (also for $75,00 ) it needed new rear tires. I went to Settle Tire (which was next door to where Coggins Motors was located on Preston Avenue) and bought two recap snow tires and tubes and had them mounted for a total of $25.00. I think I still have the receipt here too.

Gary
                              Gary, here is a Coggins receipt from 1971. Don't know what the items are, but they look cheap.

And below is my registration form for the 83 Studebaker Meet. When you adjust for inflation, it is probably a better deal today!

Leonard Shepherd
                              http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X