Rechroming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rechroming

Hi guys new member here. I purchased a 51 champ 4-door in sept, Im looking to get my bumpers, and headlight, tail light trims, and hood ornaments rechromed, also looking to purchase the trim peices on the lower rear fenders(not sure what there called, mine are black plastic, looking to get chrome ones. Any help would be appreciated, up here in Ontario Canada.

Rechroming can be quite an experience, as well as a major drain on the pocketbook. I've been trying for seven months to get a bumper redone. So far on this job two things stand out:
    1. I don't know whether I'll ever see this bumper again and I believe it to
    irreplaceable.
    2. This bumper has been to two shops and I can't recommend either one. IF I
    see it again the cost will have exceeded $1300. The shop that presently
    has it is one that advertises in TW--they have now had it for eight weeks
    and have been telling me that it should be any week now; but I'm getting
    tired of their promises.
    Good luck to 51bullet

wagone

Comment

Rechroming can be quite an experience, as well as a major drain on the pocketbook. I've been trying for seven months to get a bumper redone. So far on this job two things stand out:
      1. I don't know whether I'll ever see this bumper again and I believe it to
      irreplaceable.
      2. This bumper has been to two shops and I can't recommend either one. IF I
      see it again the cost will have exceeded $1300. The shop that presently
      has it is one that advertises in TW--they have now had it for eight weeks
      and have been telling me that it should be any week now; but I'm getting
      tired of their promises.
      Good luck to 51bullet

wagone

Comment

JP has had good luck with Graves; I had not-so-good luck with Qual-Krom.

Not sure how many other places will touch pot metal...

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

JP has had good luck with Graves; I had not-so-good luck with Qual-Krom.

Not sure how many other places will touch pot metal...

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I have been dealing with plating and platers for over 20 years... I have had many BAD experiences and only a few GOOD ones. There are low-cost platers than can do a good job- if you have an excellent core. But that is seldom the case these days- especially with pot-metal.

For POT-METAL... there is only ONE place I send mine: Qual-Krom Plating, Great Lakes Plant, Erie Pennsylvania. http://www.qualkrom.com/

Bob Orr is as conscientious a plater as you will find. He's not afraid to tell you your piece is beyond "reasonable" repair. He can and has repaired some pretty nasty pieces for me over the years... and he will tell you when you need a better core- even if it means turning your business away. I have NEVER gotten a part back that I wasn't satisfied with. When Bob says you'll have your piece by XX-Date, then you will have it.

Bumpers and Steel- Guards, fog-lights etc...
            I began using a company called Carolina Bumper in early 1990. They have since sold-out twice, but their workmanship and quality has remained the same. They are now Keystone Automotive Industries/North-Star Bumper (Plating division).
            Chrome Prices have risen dramatically over the last 5-years. Hawk bumpers are now $350+... But I can't argue with the results. I have tried (2) different "low-cost" platers in the last couple years- and I had problems with both...

Keystone Automotive Industries Mn Inc (North Star Bumper)
            5085 Wren Dr, Appleton, WI 54913-7606, United States
            Phone: (920) 731-3030

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
            Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

I have been dealing with plating and platers for over 20 years... I have had many BAD experiences and only a few GOOD ones. There are low-cost platers than can do a good job- if you have an excellent core. But that is seldom the case these days- especially with pot-metal.

For POT-METAL... there is only ONE place I send mine: Qual-Krom Plating, Great Lakes Plant, Erie Pennsylvania. http://www.qualkrom.com/

Bob Orr is as conscientious a plater as you will find. He's not afraid to tell you your piece is beyond "reasonable" repair. He can and has repaired some pretty nasty pieces for me over the years... and he will tell you when you need a better core- even if it means turning your business away. I have NEVER gotten a part back that I wasn't satisfied with. When Bob says you'll have your piece by XX-Date, then you will have it.

Bumpers and Steel- Guards, fog-lights etc...
              I began using a company called Carolina Bumper in early 1990. They have since sold-out twice, but their workmanship and quality has remained the same. They are now Keystone Automotive Industries/North-Star Bumper (Plating division).
              Chrome Prices have risen dramatically over the last 5-years. Hawk bumpers are now $350+... But I can't argue with the results. I have tried (2) different "low-cost" platers in the last couple years- and I had problems with both...

Keystone Automotive Industries Mn Inc (North Star Bumper)
              5085 Wren Dr, Appleton, WI 54913-7606, United States
              Phone: (920) 731-3030

Ray

Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

Hey Bev. Welcome to the Forum! Wish you success with your Stude project and hope you will get lots of enjoyment from it.[^]

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>
                [img]
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander
                Zone Coordinator
                Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Hey Bev. Welcome to the Forum! Wish you success with your Stude project and hope you will get lots of enjoyment from it.[^]

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>
                  [img]
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander
                  Zone Coordinator
                  Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but I've heard those rear stone guards are made of unobtainium.

Mark Anderson
                    Member SDC and FMCA
                    Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
                    http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
                    Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but I've heard those rear stone guards are made of unobtainium.

Mark Anderson
                      Member SDC and FMCA
                      Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
                      http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
                      Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

quote:I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but I've heard those rear stone guards are made of unobtainium.
                        Nah, just regular ole stainless steel. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                        '59 Scotsman
                        '63 Daytona
                        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but I've heard those rear stone guards are made of unobtainium.
                          Nah, just regular ole stainless steel. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                          '59 Scotsman
                          '63 Daytona
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Yeah, but they are still pretty much unobtainable, thus the unobtainium moniker. I've been looking for a long time, and I've seen a few pair, bid on 2 different pair, and gotten outbid at arouned the $5-600 range! I'll let my fenders go naked if that's what it costs to cover them. Someone was taking about getting them repopped if there was enough interest, but they were still going to be in that price range.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
                            '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Yeah, but they are still pretty much unobtainable, thus the unobtainium moniker. I've been looking for a long time, and I've seen a few pair, bid on 2 different pair, and gotten outbid at arouned the $5-600 range! I'll let my fenders go naked if that's what it costs to cover them. Someone was taking about getting them repopped if there was enough interest, but they were still going to be in that price range.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
                              '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Working...
                              X