Wondering about future of SDC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quote:Originally posted by 55s

Being a long time member, I'll be honest, I thought it was a passing fad of my dad's. He started the Ontario Chapter in 1972, and I was a full member in 1973. (I had to buy my own car, which I still have).

I could have bought a Life Membership for $100, but I didn't think they would be around this long.
    Psul R
    My first membership was $3.00, sent off to Harry barnes.
    I might give my car to my nephew, but he might become a grandad any time now!

I like the idea of TW in school libraries. I also think that there should be mention of this site in TW - in BIG LETTERS, so the casual reader can know of it. Maybe even a column devoted to some of the more interesting topics that show up here (or on the News group.)
    The NG should also refer to this forum from time to time.

Maybe I'll find group which will restore and show the Commender.

Karl H. Joined SDC 8/66, Co-founder Mass-RI Chapter, SDC President in early 1970s, 1st President of SOC UK.... and a very humble chap <g>

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by 55s

Being a long time member, I'll be honest, I thought it was a passing fad of my dad's. He started the Ontario Chapter in 1972, and I was a full member in 1973. (I had to buy my own car, which I still have).

I could have bought a Life Membership for $100, but I didn't think they would be around this long.
      Psul R
      My first membership was $3.00, sent off to Harry barnes.
      I might give my car to my nephew, but he might become a grandad any time now!

I like the idea of TW in school libraries. I also think that there should be mention of this site in TW - in BIG LETTERS, so the casual reader can know of it. Maybe even a column devoted to some of the more interesting topics that show up here (or on the News group.)
      The NG should also refer to this forum from time to time.

Maybe I'll find group which will restore and show the Commender.

Karl H. Joined SDC 8/66, Co-founder Mass-RI Chapter, SDC President in early 1970s, 1st President of SOC UK.... and a very humble chap <g>

Comment

• That's an excellent idea about TW doing an article on the goings on on the forum so people know what kind of resource it is.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

• That's an excellent idea about TW doing an article on the goings on on the forum so people know what kind of resource it is.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

• FWIW, there is a lot of talk on News Groups about club memberships (local branches) falling off. We're talking Elks, VFW and so on.
            Someone pointed out that Fraternal groups like them, where people sit around and drink / dance are declining.
            Smeone responding to these comments seaid that groups with an active purpose are growing or holding their own. These included barbershop quartets, fishing clubs, HOT ROD GROUPS and so on.
            Perhaps we will find that friendly chaper will do well, even if the meets involve trailering.

BTW, Have you ever gone to a team machinery gathering? Once you've seen a ten foot high boiler feeding steam to a total-loss steam engine, turning a lage gearbox, connected by chain drive to a pencil sharpener, you won't forget it! Karl

Comment

• FWIW, there is a lot of talk on News Groups about club memberships (local branches) falling off. We're talking Elks, VFW and so on.
              Someone pointed out that Fraternal groups like them, where people sit around and drink / dance are declining.
              Smeone responding to these comments seaid that groups with an active purpose are growing or holding their own. These included barbershop quartets, fishing clubs, HOT ROD GROUPS and so on.
              Perhaps we will find that friendly chaper will do well, even if the meets involve trailering.

BTW, Have you ever gone to a team machinery gathering? Once you've seen a ten foot high boiler feeding steam to a total-loss steam engine, turning a lage gearbox, connected by chain drive to a pencil sharpener, you won't forget it! Karl

Comment

• This does concern me..........we could use some new blood" thread.

How contributing Forum members have disappeared, changed their Forum Usernames and in some instances changed their opinions, not to mention all the new members with their new opinions who have come aboard. Interesting!!!

Comment

• OK, maybe I acted hastily in closing this thread. But please - let's keep the current discussion on this topic going, not split it into twain!

Thanks.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                    OK, maybe I acted hastily in closing this thread. But please - let's keep the current discussion on this topic going, not split it into twain!

Thanks.
                    Maybe you could simply merge both threads since the topic is still the same.
                    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

• The same can be said for all the streetrods , the people are aging and very little interest is shown by most younger people, I think in the next 20 years the price of a streetrod will drop a bundle. My younger family members like my truck , but have no interest in building one , and would have mine up for sell the first time it fouled a plug. my 8 year old grandson is my biggest fan and has the best chance of inhertiting my truck.
                      Randy Wilkin
                      1946 M5 Streetrod
                      Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

• Just to show how things were from 2008. Civil conversations and good points still echoe

Comment

• Reading this thread has been very eye opening. In a previous thread, I said that my sons are not interested in my cars. However, my nephew is in his twenties and has a couple of older cars. He can rebuild an engine and do a great deal of the work himself. I have decided to leave my Studebaker to him when I am recalled to the factory, hopefully upstairs! What I can do to increase membership and get a younger member is to get him an SDC membership as a gift!
                          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                          X