Chipped a tooth in the Dana 44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipped a tooth in the Dana 44

Installed a newly rebuilt tranny (DG250M) in the 55 Commander and tried some hole shots. Lots of rubber, a sideways drift and felt a shift in the driveline. Checked the hanger bearing and that was loose. Ordered new rubber cushions for it and had the driveline aligned again. Went for a test drive and still have a rumble in the Dana 44. Last year I went from 3.31:1 to 3.73:1 and with the new tranny I guess the old axels may have metal fatigue. Good to find out about it now than at the Pure Stock Drags (500 miles from home). Wish I could go to flanged axels and TT, but that wasn't available in 55 so I guess I'll keep doing hole shots and testing my axels. Three months to get ready. It's worth coming to watch in September. I'll either get competitive or put on a horror show Click image for larger version

Name:	pureStockLenyo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1754086Click image for larger version

Name:	pureStockLenyo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1754086
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Could you switch to a ford 9"?
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

They look the same. I'm thinking I would be busted if I left a patch with both wheels (lol).

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
        Doubt it, it's called pure stock for a reason. Easy to see the difference, 9" has no cover on the back of the housing.

Comment

So, in the PSMCD, flanged axles are only allowed in 1966 Studes? They did not come stock in 1955 Studes, nor 1965, nor any year in between.

Comment

The Flanged Axles are original in Later 1965's and without looking up Serial Numbers for the change, pretty hard to tell what '65's had them.

But maybe the Moser's are considered a "Safety" item? I am pretty sure they ARE being used at the PSMCD, that's what Hub Caps are for.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a flanged axel 44 with TT and 3.07 gears. Was putting that into the 54 build and I'll have some spare tapered axels out of the Dana 44 in the 54. I will carry a spare

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                People that own 1948/52 F1's, 1953/56 F100's that want to swap in a Ford 9" in place of the Spicer/Dana 35/44, have discovered that the 1957/72 F100 9" will swap in with next to no modifications excepting for the rear shock lower mounting brackets.

1948/52 F1's, 1953/67 F100's have 11" x 1 3/4" rear brakes. 1968/72 F100's have 11" x 2 1/4" rear brakes.

The right/left axle shafts of 1957/67 F100's (B7TZ-4234-A) are the same, have 28 splines.

However, there are two different types of 1968/72 F100 9 inchers.

One has a 9" ring gear, 28 spline axleshafts (C8TZ-4234-A - R/L same). The other has a 9 3/8" ring gear, 31 spline axle shafts (C8TZ-4234-B - R/L same).

Here's some more info before you go searching in junk yards: 1959/67 F100's with optional Limited Slip came with the Spicer/Dana 44.

There were two other Dana's w/Limited Slip available as an option for 1963/69 F100's: 1963/66: Dana 60.2 .. 1966/69: Dana 60.3

Last edited by WinM1895; 06-02-2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I've never participated in PSMCD but I find it hard to believe that they would catch a flanged axle upgrade. You'd have to remove the wheel,hub and inspect the axle. These axles are weak by inherent designe. add 60 years of abuse and now launching hard at a strip your asking for trouble. Body work is expensive not to mention safety. I'd recommend the flanged axles :-)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                  53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                  57 SH (project)
                  60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

I would contact the organizers about flanged axles before writing them off. Its a safety issue not a performance improvement.

Comment

I'd bet that the red tomato and brown wrapper have flanged axles
                      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

You're right, Bob; both the Tomato and the Wrapper have flanged axles. They tend not to object to safety items at the PSMCDR. After all, they require seat belts for all years. (The Wrapper is a clone R3 with a real R3 engine, but any R3/R4 Studebaker built at the factory would have had flanged axles. Clones are allowed.) We bent four tapered axles on the Wrapper--one dangerously so--before going to the flanged unit.

Here is the exact wording of the rules about rear axles: "The rear axle must be of the same manufacturer as the car. Any gear ratio is allowed. Lightweight driveshafts NOT allowed. Driveshaft safety loops are mandatory on all cars 13.99 and faster. Spools of any kind are NOT allowed."

Note that nothing is said about factory-type limited slip differentials.

George

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                        I'd bet that the red tomato and brown wrapper have flanged axles
                        george krem

Comment

Originally posted by R3 challenger View Post

Here is the exact wording of the rules about rear axles: "The rear axle must be of the same manufacturer as the car." ?
                          The way this is worded makes no sense. When did Studebaker make their own 'in house' rear axles?

When did Spicer make a Studebaker?

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                            The way this is worded makes no sense. When did Studebaker make their own 'in house' rear axles?

When did Spicer make a Studebaker?
                            Or a Dodge, but I think the rules suggest that if it came under the car from the factory then those are all the brand parts allowed. PSMCD want you to race stock but they have some wiggle room for safety, etc. The rule book isn't the US tax code but a document that lets the owners provide racing in a particular fashion, keep it fun and they reserve the right to define stock.

I'd agree with George on the limited slip for the above reasons.

Bob

Comment

Super cool! They didn't mind my brake upgrade to Turner discs on front....for the same reasons, safety. If I go to flanged axels, the wheel studs are on the axel and not swedged into the drums. Any body got a line on rear brake drums that will work with flanged. I need two sets, one for the 55 and one for the 54 build. I'm dog tired as I just pulled the 232 out of the 54 and have it loaded on the truck It's a happy tired.

Comment

Working...
                              X