Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SScopelli
    replied

The following picture maybe disturbing to some, but Please be assure that I would never cut up a car that could be restored.

I have my cadaver pieces ready to graph in.

IMG_0928
    RIP 63 Daytona 259 4 speed. While this floor section was usable, the rest of the body had serious rust issue in just about every seam.

IMG_0927
    RIP 63 Standard. No floors at all and rusted under the A pilar detached.

Thank you ALL for the encouragement and comments everyone!

I wake up some mornings and say to myself, "What have I done.." Not as a question, but a life statement. Then John and Mike agree with my assessment of my insanity (in the most loving way of course ), and it makes me dawn on my spikes, oxygen mask and go out to climb Mt. Everest.

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    Bob, that is the track for the rear quarter window, nothing to do with the rear window. But it probably would go back to 1953 as the glass itself was squared off at the rear to run vertically in the track. It was not contoured to the window opening.

Craig
    I have added this picture to illustrate what Craig said about the window track frame that goes behind the side panel.
    And Yes, my neighbors really do love me.

IMG_0926

Walking around Chuck's ranch, I was able to see the insides of many cars. I agree that many panels were reused, or modified for the next year. Which if you think about it, is a great advantage of being able to use parts from "cadaver cars" to make other live again.
    Last edited by SScopelli; 01-17-2018, 08:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 58 Hawk
    replied
    Its great to follow your progress on the Lark its going to be a true show car restoration you do great work
    keep sending photos ,,,enjoy following your progress
    Joe

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Your last image, 0900, is curious: Look closely at the stamping behind the "C" pillar. Is that a vestige of the original 1953 body with the reverse C-pillar for what was a wrap-around rear window?
    Bob, that is the track for the rear quarter window, nothing to do with the rear window. But it probably would go back to 1953 as the glass itself was squared off at the rear to run vertically in the track. It was not contoured to the window opening.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Amazing and interesting, Seb; thanks for the continued updates. To quote Carly Simon,"Nobody does it better."

Your last image, 0900, is curious: Look closely at the stamping behind the "C" pillar. Is that a vestige of the original 1953 body with the reverse C-pillar for what was a wrap-around rear window? BP

Leave a comment:

• kmul221
    replied
    It amazes me the patience & memory & ambition you have,I have done several restorations over the years but never to the extent shown.I admire men like yourself who have the skills, $$$ & time to do the work ! keep it up.

Leave a comment:

• lumpy
    replied
    Yeah I agree I've lived in so cal my entire life , and have seen tons of beach area rust buckets I'm tuned in to this build as I know you will knock it out of the ballpark

Leave a comment:

• SScopelli
    replied
    Picked up the body today from Pro-Strip. SaaWeeeeet!

I knew there were some rust issues and needed repair, and decided to get the body media blasted to expose any thin metal due to rust.

I also opted for Pro-Strip to apply the electrostatic primer. I will have to repair some section, and repair the primed area, but the primer will not be touched over the majority of the body.

So when someone says it is a California car, don't assume it is rust free.. Just free rust.. Not complaining.. I love a challenge..

IMG_0921

What I did know was that the front floor pans, right and left, definitely needed repair.

IMG_0915

IMG_0918

The rear deck area..

IMG_0907

IMG_0906

Wheel wells

IMG_0908

IMG_0917

Cowl.

IMG_0912

But the good is, the majority of the floor is is in great shape as is the trunk and roof..

IMG_0901

IMG_0922

IMG_0900
    Last edited by SScopelli; 01-16-2018, 06:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SScopelli
    replied
    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Incredible, Seb; 'just gorgeous. Thanks for the updates and such detailed photos. BP
    Originally posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
    You are another restoration expert that I love to see your work. I'm very impressed with the degree of detail you go to on any of the pieces you work on. keep the pic coming, and congrats on the quality you are striving for. Bill
    Thanks guys.. Appreciate the appreciation..

I've hear it said that Lark's have no balls.

Yet I have castrated the F4 by removing the two masses in the base of the A pilar.

Time to play catch up to John.. Need to get the body rolling. literally!

With Kolton's help we made a new cradle to hold the body. You can see the mounting tabs to hold the front cowl, and the rear two floor pan brackets. By the end of the day, it fit perfect.

I've figured if you are going to call your car Hulk, you better live up to its strength..

I've also lightened up the Lark by removing the undercoating and saving a bit at the media blaster and not having him remove the lovely stuff.

Collected as much as I could and it weighed in at a nice 46.8lbs.. But I'd say I lost around 10% due to the holes burning in the tarp, so 50 Lbs average extra weight is not an exaggeration. NOTE! This is just the body! I'll collect the removed under coating from the fenders and rear quarter panels and weigh next.

This is my luggage scale, handy around the house for other duties as well..

Now in the hands of Patrick at pro-strip lets see how much repair the body will really need after blasting exposes the defects.

Something really cool about the media strip place. They also do powder coating and can apply a "Prime" powder coating.
    This car was stripped and primer powder coated..

Getting the body to the media place took a bit more time than I expected, and thanks to StudeJohn for letting me use his garage to get the dirty work done. It kind of held back his progress on the Whistler

Also had the chance to work on getting the front suspension together..

to compress the springs, I use a spring compressor such as this:

http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-7045b.aspx

I've compressed the spring to about 10.5"

This allows the upper and lower "A" frames to be mounted to the frames. Not a really good photo, but you can see the lower "A" frame hanging, and note the bungee holding the spindel on the kingpin.

Easily assembled by pushing the lower "A" arm upward and placing the kingpin in the lower trunnion. Note: Shop manual is open

<==Click
    Last edited by SScopelli; 12-21-2017, 01:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Colgate Studebaker
    replied
    You are another restoration expert that I love to see your work. I'm very impressed with the degree of detail you go to on any of the pieces you work on. keep the pic coming, and congrats on the quality you are striving for. Bill

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Incredible, Seb; 'just gorgeous. Thanks for the updates and such detailed photos. BP

Leave a comment:

• studejohn
    replied
    Looks like we will be seeing a new competitor to the pure stock drags coming soon

Leave a comment:

• SScopelli
    replied
    Originally posted by drew72mgb View Post
    HUSH - I hope after he shows it to the drooling folks we are - he drives it like he stole it -
    If there is any doubt how It will be driven, this may provide some enlightenment..

Picked up the engine from the machine shop.

This block could have taken a standard set of ring and it would have been ok, definitely a set of 0.030's would have worked just fine as well..
    Decided to go 0.060 for the 300 cui and decked to clean

<=Click

Kelly's cleaned this block outside and inside.. This is the water jackets with no scale on them, Oil galley's clean, and just a clean, bar cast block.

Rotating assembly resized and balanced.
    <= Click

This block, as clean as it looks will get another good cleaning, glyptol coating, and some non-rattle can paint treatment.

Even the flywheel was resurfaced and re-balanced as the drill mark at the 2o'clock position

<=Click

Leave a comment:

• drew72mgb
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    Or drive!!

Craig
    HUSH - I hope after he shows it to the drooling folks we are - he drives it like he stole it -

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
    That's going to be too nice to cover up.
    Or drive!!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• asesolen
    replied
    Great work Sebastian! The dedication to detail is unsurpassed!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X