Mecum 2017 Indy Auction Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mecum 2017 Indy Auction Studebakers

It's about 7AM Friday morning, May 19, 2017. The big Indianapolis Spring Classic Mecum collector-car auction is underway at The Indiana State Fairgrounds. I'll be heading in there presently to spend the day.

According to my Media Press Kit for the event, it is to be televised live from noon until 3PM today on NBCSN. Of course, it can also be seen live on the internet anytime the auction is underway. Just go to Mecum.com and follow the links.

Four Studebakers are scheduled to cross the block today in this order: F195 (black 1963 R2 convertible we've discussed here), F196 (a 1962 Pace Car clone), F197 (Jonquil Yellow 1960 Lark convertible), and F198 (modified 1958 Scotsman Station Wagon street machine). F in the Lot Number indicates Friday; the sequential number indicates the order in which they'll cross the block.

The auction starts at 10AM with Lot #F1, whatever that is. Who knows what number they'll be up to by noon when the auction goes live on NBCSN. You can tune in then and see what car number they are up to and kind of compote when the Studebaker numbers might show up. If the Studes make the live broadcast, I would imagine it will be closer to the end of today's three-hour broadcast window than the beginning.

But if they aren't televised, as I said, you can still watch them sell live through the internet connection at Mecum.com.

'Should be an interesting Studebaker day. It's raining hard now but that makes little difference once you are under roof at the auction. Mecum has temporary breezeways erected from building to building so cars and people don't get wet as they negotiate the sale and the cars move from the display buildings into the auction arena. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 05-22-2017, 08:24 AM. Reason: removed "selling today" from thread title
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I found it interesting that the two stock appearing cars, '60 & '63, sold and the two with modifications, '58 & '62, did not sell.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

How much did the '63 bring?
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
        How much did the '63 bring?
        $67,500, reportedly SOLD....and to that you can add the 10% Buyer's Premium and 7% Indiana State Sales Tax, thank you. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wow! It is nice to see that there are folks that REALLY appreciate Studebakers! Thank you for the report Bob, much appreciated.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Sounds like a very strong result. Cool!
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

That encourages me to complete the 63 super red Lark I am working on

Comment

Woo hoooo!
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

What did the 1960 Lark Convertible bring?
                  Live your dreams!

Comment

Originally posted by hi-peral View Post
                    What did the 1960 Lark Convertible bring?
                    Hi, Al: Since I was involved in its purchase by counseling the buyer as to the car's condition and authenticity, per his request, I'd ask that someone else post that.

Easier yet, you can go to The Mecum Website (Mecum.com) and see the results of the entire sale by simply giving them your e-mail address. Then you could post the answer here if you'd care to, assuming someone else hasn't already done so. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Awesome Value! Thanx for the heads up Bob!
                      Live your dreams!

Comment

$40,000 for the yellow 60 lark.

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                          $40,000 for the yellow 60 lark.
                          Then a final cost of $46,800 after buyers premium and sales tax.

Comment

The black '58 Scotsman retro-mod rod did not sell Friday. I saw where it was to go across the block again late Saturday evening. I was there Saturday but didn't stay long enough to see if it sold on the second run-through.

I've seen it at previous auctions, so either the consignor wants too much money or it is being shopped around the auction circuit by assorted dreamers. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                              Then a final cost of $46,800 after buyers premium and sales tax.
                              That's correct, Gary.

That's a ton of money, but the car is truly "one of one," so who's to say what it's "worth?"

Only the owner, I'd say. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                              X