" New Packard Dealer"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Bob Langer
    The first ones pictured in the ad are my Uncles (Al and Regis) and the last is my Dad (Francis).
    They got Studebaker in 1956.Packard replaced Kaiser,Frazer,Henry J and Willys,so they were no strangers to orphans.
    They also started to sell Jeeps in 1953 and when they retired in 1983 my brother bought the business and moved to a new location.He continued to sell Jeeps until his death in 1995,and the business was sold in 1996
    West View is just a few miles north of Pittsburgh.
    Thank you for the nice comment on the Avanti.I bought it used in 1965
    with 9000 miles and today it only has 28000 miles.
    Bob Langer
    Glenshaw,PA
    Neat piece of history Bob... thanks for sharing.[8D]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>
    [img]
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bob Langer
      The first ones pictured in the ad are my Uncles (Al and Regis) and the last is my Dad (Francis).
      They got Studebaker in 1956.Packard replaced Kaiser,Frazer,Henry J and Willys,so they were no strangers to orphans.
      They also started to sell Jeeps in 1953 and when they retired in 1983 my brother bought the business and moved to a new location.He continued to sell Jeeps until his death in 1995,and the business was sold in 1996
      West View is just a few miles north of Pittsburgh.
      Thank you for the nice comment on the Avanti.I bought it used in 1965
      with 9000 miles and today it only has 28000 miles.
      Bob Langer
      Glenshaw,PA
      Neat piece of history Bob... thanks for sharing.[8D]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar
      3E-6/7-122
      </h5>
      [img]
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander
      Zone Coordinator
      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I had to check and see how you did that Bob. Wow! That was the ONLY '64 conv. produced exactly that way!

Dwain G.

Comment

I had to check and see how you did that Bob. Wow! That was the ONLY '64 conv. produced exactly that way!

Dwain G.

Comment

About the Virginia convertible getting to your PA dealership...

I sometimes forget that dealers back then traded cars, too, like today.

My hometown dealer in Greenville, PA, north of Pittsburgh, sold '64 convertible 64V-5962, Bordeaux Red, black vinyl interior, white top, 4-speed, 289, bucket seats, but the production order says it was shipped to Buffalo, NY (dealer name Advance Studebaker, I'm pretty sure). I had to laugh, I spoke to the selling dealer the other day (born in 1929) and while he doesn't remember the purchaser of the car, he remembers it was in their two-car showroom. He said, "I remember it being sharp and had a black stripe down the side". At first I thought, "Well, he's not remembering that right", then it hit me, he meant the Daytona side moldings that had the black paint down the center, unlike all other '64 Studebakers! Ironically, the purchaser of that convertible also bought a new '64 V8 Commander 2-door sedan from the same dealer, according to sales records in the SNM archives.

Bob, do you remember Zellsman Studebaker in Butler? Dave Bonn who posts on this forum remembers it well, and I know that Westmoreland Studebaker (restoration shop) in Blairsville, PA has Zellsman's big lighted Studebaker signs on one of their buildings now.

Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            (formerly Greenville, PA)
            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
            All are in Australia now

Comment

About the Virginia convertible getting to your PA dealership...

I sometimes forget that dealers back then traded cars, too, like today.

My hometown dealer in Greenville, PA, north of Pittsburgh, sold '64 convertible 64V-5962, Bordeaux Red, black vinyl interior, white top, 4-speed, 289, bucket seats, but the production order says it was shipped to Buffalo, NY (dealer name Advance Studebaker, I'm pretty sure). I had to laugh, I spoke to the selling dealer the other day (born in 1929) and while he doesn't remember the purchaser of the car, he remembers it was in their two-car showroom. He said, "I remember it being sharp and had a black stripe down the side". At first I thought, "Well, he's not remembering that right", then it hit me, he meant the Daytona side moldings that had the black paint down the center, unlike all other '64 Studebakers! Ironically, the purchaser of that convertible also bought a new '64 V8 Commander 2-door sedan from the same dealer, according to sales records in the SNM archives.

Bob, do you remember Zellsman Studebaker in Butler? Dave Bonn who posts on this forum remembers it well, and I know that Westmoreland Studebaker (restoration shop) in Blairsville, PA has Zellsman's big lighted Studebaker signs on one of their buildings now.

Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              All are in Australia now

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Dwain G.
                Yeah; easier than you'd think, eh, Dwain?

'Just run your finger down the list of engines and check out all the JTS-prefix numbers as they come up, there are so few of them. [V] Then look across until you find one with 2-2-B noted for colors and BINGO; there you have it! 'Took all of a couple minutes. It was easy because Bob Langer supplied specific color information.

(Well, there goes the value of July 1986 Turning Wheels copies at swap meets; they'll start going for $20 apiece when you can find one! [:0][8D].) BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Dwain G.
                  Yeah; easier than you'd think, eh, Dwain?

'Just run your finger down the list of engines and check out all the JTS-prefix numbers as they come up, there are so few of them. [V] Then look across until you find one with 2-2-B noted for colors and BINGO; there you have it! 'Took all of a couple minutes. It was easy because Bob Langer supplied specific color information.

(Well, there goes the value of July 1986 Turning Wheels copies at swap meets; they'll start going for $20 apiece when you can find one! [:0][8D].) BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Gary, very funny,I guess I should have said under what circumstances was the car "driven" to PA.,or was it?

Bill,I do remember Zellsmann.

Bob Langer
                    63 Avanti
                    Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
                    Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Gary, very funny,I guess I should have said under what circumstances was the car "driven" to PA.,or was it?

Bill,I do remember Zellsmann.

Bob Langer
                      63 Avanti
                      Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
                      Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Bob, neat '56 from Zellsman's! Was that on the back of his business card?!

I know this is a longer shot, but if you've read posts on here long you probably know that in Greenville, PA the dealer was Carl E. Filer Co. Any memory of them? I know Greenville is farther north and a small town (even then), but they sold Studebakers from 1926 'til the end.

Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

Bob, neat '56 from Zellsman's! Was that on the back of his business card?!

I know this is a longer shot, but if you've read posts on here long you probably know that in Greenville, PA the dealer was Carl E. Filer Co. Any memory of them? I know Greenville is farther north and a small town (even then), but they sold Studebakers from 1926 'til the end.

Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

Bob, thanks for the interesting post. The previous owner of my '54 Champion Hardtop told me that he bought it from your family's dealership in 1966. As I recall, I contacted you several years ago to see if any records were still in existence about its previous owner, etc., but you said you didn't have anything on it.

I worked in North Hills, not far from your family's West View dealership from '81 to '89 and I can still remember the place. Unfortunately, I didn't stop in back then.

The Zellsmann dealership in Butler I remember quite well. He carried Studebaker until the very end in '66, and serviced them for years after that. I looked at a '61 Lark for sale (elsewhere) when I was a high school senior in 1972, but it needed some work. I asked my local mechanic about parts, and he told me that Zellsmann's was still servicing Studebakers.

I still recall going to visit Mr. Zellsmann, and at that time he was mainly selling new Datsuns (Nissan). But he pulled down the fold-out attic stairs, and let me follow him up there to look through his leftover Studebaker stock, of which he still had quite a lot! He also mentioned that he was still getting parts in from South Bend on a weekly basis. (I didn't buy that '61 by the way, which I could have had for $45.00!)

Fast forward ten years later, I was fixing up a '60 Lark convertible I bought, and I phoned Zellsmann's again. The parts man at that time told me they had no Studebaker parts left. They sold them out to a man named Harold Hendricks of Punxatawney, PA, who back in the '70s was quite well known as a Studebaker parts supplier and enthusiast in the central and western PA area. He has since passed away.

I don't think the Zellsmann dealership was in business much longer than 1982 or 1983. Mr. Zellsmann died around 1987, I'm pretty sure.

Before Datsun, I know that they also carried various other obscure foreign makes in addition to Studebaker, but Studebaker was their main line. He was also a dealer for Checker, which is how I first found out about his dealership. My Dad had a '63 Checker station wagon which he had purchased new in Pittsburgh. Then he found out Zellsmann carried them too, and their dealership was a lot closer to us than the one in Pittsburgh. (McKean Oldsmobile).

I never saw a Checker displayed at Zellsmann's, but I was there with my Dad several times in the mid to late '60s and I'd give anything to have pictures of all the Studebakers (and Packards, including the first Packard Hawk I had ever seen) that were there.

His showroom only held one car, but he had lots of room for cars outside.

Presently, a welding supply shop operates out of the old dealership. I still hope to stop by one of these days and talk the guy into pulling those attic steps down one more time to see if anything got left behind....

Dave Bonn
                            '54 Champion Starliner
                            Valencia, PA

Comment

Bob, thanks for the interesting post. The previous owner of my '54 Champion Hardtop told me that he bought it from your family's dealership in 1966. As I recall, I contacted you several years ago to see if any records were still in existence about its previous owner, etc., but you said you didn't have anything on it.

I worked in North Hills, not far from your family's West View dealership from '81 to '89 and I can still remember the place. Unfortunately, I didn't stop in back then.

The Zellsmann dealership in Butler I remember quite well. He carried Studebaker until the very end in '66, and serviced them for years after that. I looked at a '61 Lark for sale (elsewhere) when I was a high school senior in 1972, but it needed some work. I asked my local mechanic about parts, and he told me that Zellsmann's was still servicing Studebakers.

I still recall going to visit Mr. Zellsmann, and at that time he was mainly selling new Datsuns (Nissan). But he pulled down the fold-out attic stairs, and let me follow him up there to look through his leftover Studebaker stock, of which he still had quite a lot! He also mentioned that he was still getting parts in from South Bend on a weekly basis. (I didn't buy that '61 by the way, which I could have had for $45.00!)

Fast forward ten years later, I was fixing up a '60 Lark convertible I bought, and I phoned Zellsmann's again. The parts man at that time told me they had no Studebaker parts left. They sold them out to a man named Harold Hendricks of Punxatawney, PA, who back in the '70s was quite well known as a Studebaker parts supplier and enthusiast in the central and western PA area. He has since passed away.

I don't think the Zellsmann dealership was in business much longer than 1982 or 1983. Mr. Zellsmann died around 1987, I'm pretty sure.

Before Datsun, I know that they also carried various other obscure foreign makes in addition to Studebaker, but Studebaker was their main line. He was also a dealer for Checker, which is how I first found out about his dealership. My Dad had a '63 Checker station wagon which he had purchased new in Pittsburgh. Then he found out Zellsmann carried them too, and their dealership was a lot closer to us than the one in Pittsburgh. (McKean Oldsmobile).

I never saw a Checker displayed at Zellsmann's, but I was there with my Dad several times in the mid to late '60s and I'd give anything to have pictures of all the Studebakers (and Packards, including the first Packard Hawk I had ever seen) that were there.

His showroom only held one car, but he had lots of room for cars outside.

Presently, a welding supply shop operates out of the old dealership. I still hope to stop by one of these days and talk the guy into pulling those attic steps down one more time to see if anything got left behind....

Dave Bonn
                              '54 Champion Starliner
                              Valencia, PA

Comment

Blue 15G (Dave), your Dad had a '63 Checker Station Wagon? How cool! (Probably wasn't considered so then, though, was it? Probably right up there at the time with a Studebaker or Rambler!) I was in Kalamazoo, MI on business a few months back and looked in the phone book and there was still a listing for Checker Motors Corporation! A little searching on the net showed they now provided body stampings for Big 3 automakers.

You mentioned McKean Oldsmobile. What road were they on, do you remember? A friend's '61 Lark Convertible was bought at "Mc Kean Studebaker" in Pittsburgh; the road name escapes me except that I know it crosses over the PA Turnpike at some point; I always remember seeing it when I go over that way! His car was tagged "University of Pittsburgh" on the production order; we later learned the President of Pitt back then was married to a lady who was on Studebaker's Board! The President later was killed in a small plane crash in northern PA in the late '60's I think it was. I cannot recall his name unfortunately.

Bill Pressler
                                Kent, OH
                                Bill Pressler
                                Kent, OH
                                All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                                X