No announcement yet.

Seasoned V8 blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seasoning was a standard practice in the cast iron industry. I worked (in the early 1980s) machining cast iron crank cases for large natural gas compressors, these were at that time about 4 feet long, and 18 inches square. (not solid) It was standard practice to leave the raw casting outside for a couple of months, then again between operations of machining for 10 days or so. Talk was, at that time, that once upon a time, they'd be left outside over winter. By the time I retired, 2000, seasoning had been abandoned. they went on the machines within days of being delivered from the foundry. I suppose it's possible that the metallurgy of casing had changed over time.

Comment

To Lynn (#30) & others:
      It has been known for years that Chevrolet, Pontiac, Chrysler, Packard, and other automobile manufacturers cast date codes into their major engine castings (block, heads, manifolds, etc.) in order to track problems in the foundry and identify the year of the part. Studebaker was no exception to this practice. Following are the casting date code locations for V8s:

Block: top, far rear (just forward of bellhousing) for 1953-64; at top front for 1951-2.
      Heads: in center, under valve cover (often partly or fully machined off)
      Intake manifold: on top rear (often underneath)
      Exhaust & water manifolds: on back (inside) side
      Bellhousing: on rear (near transmission mounting flange), either outside or inside

The casting date code is on a slightly raised area of the casting, about ½” tall by 2 ½” wide, with raised numbers and a letter,[1] and the impressions of two screw heads (either between the letter & numbers [about WWII and earlier], or on the ends [later]).

The above is an excerpt from a 12-page Word document I wrote several years ago. I had researched actual casting date codes on many Studebaker engines and wrote it up. If anyone wants a copy let me know.
      -Dwight FitzSimons, Editor, Greater Va. Chap.-SDC

[1] Date code consists of all numbers prior to mid-1920’s (e.g., “6 20 22”).

Comment

In my previous posting I have noticed that I did not explain the Studebaker casting date code itself (due to a brain lapse). The following should explain that:

On 1947-57 engines, the casting date codes are of the form: “year code, month, date”. Example: “L 7 29” = “1957 July 29”. For 1958—1964 the year code was placed after the month and date. Example: “12 6 R” = Dec. 6 1962 (an early 1963 engine).
        YEAR CODE vs. YEAR—1947—1964
        A B C D E F G H J K L M N O P R S T
        ‘47 ‘48 ‘49 ‘50 ‘51 ‘52 ‘53 ‘54 ‘55 ‘56 ‘57 ‘58 ‘59 ‘60 ‘61 ‘62 ‘63 ‘64

Comment

Thanks Dwight. I can't get to the engine compartment right now, as the 53 is up on a four post with a disabled car beneath it (waiting on the machine shop for parts). Once I get a chance, I will check the engine casting date against the build date of the car.

Comment

Working...
          X