Sprouting fins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprouting fins

Would YOU drill 10 new holes in these fenders?
    Attached Files

I guess I am going to. My exciting new purchase from the International meet was AC-2199, Stratoline rear fender ornaments. Stephen Allen had a gigantic layout of parts at the meet and actually had 2 sets of these rare parts. One was new in the box, with the original template and mounting kit.
    In pictures I had seen, I've always thought these complemented the car well, offsetting the roundness of the rear some. Plus... fins!

They had the front ornaments too but I've just never been sold on those. I'll wait and see how the rears go first.
    And FYI they also have quite a few pieces of the 52 hardtop window surround trim. Once in a while someone asks about these. Mine is all painted now and I've come to live with it. But if the budget was unlimited these would have come home with me as well.

(Once I'm done with the drilling I'll submit this original template back to the club template site.)
    Attached Files

Comment

Drill baby drill
      Bill Foy
      1000 Islands, Ontario
      1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Be sure to seal the holes with paint after drilling them. That way it will take longer for the rust to start. You might also want to goop the screws/washers up with silicone seal to keep dust and water out.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I would. Yes, paint the raw metal after you drill. I would use butyl rubber also to seal things a little better.

Comment

The picture with the hardware shows how the kit came with a rather large foam rubber gasket to use on each hole. The template recommends a 7/16 (!!) hole.

I'm setting that stuff aside and going to put studs in the trim. Drill smaller holes, paint and use a sealant, then a nut on the bottom. A whole lot easier when doing it as a one man job.

Comment

The sealant of my choice is 3M strip caulk.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I always liked the clean round lines without the extra trim, but the extra bling can look good too.
                BTW I saw your car and hoped to finally meet you in person. A fellow from England and I looked at your car for some time on Friday afternoon. He has fallen in love with the 52 Starliner body style and asked me lots of questions about the changes you have made. I wish you had been there.
                sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  I always liked the clean round lines without the extra trim, but the extra bling can look good too.
                  BTW I saw your car and hoped to finally meet you in person. A fellow from England and I looked at your car for some time on Friday afternoon. He has fallen in love with the 52 Starliner body style and asked me lots of questions about the changes you have made. I wish you had been there.
                  Dang, sorry I missed running into you Howard. As you know your 52s I'm sure you could show him. I had a nice talk Saturday on the show field with KiwiDave, he has a starliner down in New Zealand. The world loves a 52 Studebaker.

Comment

Hi Dan!
                    Thanks to Mr Forester I have a set of those for my car and I can't wait to mount them.
                    DRILL!
                    BUT BE CAREFUL,...

Dean.

Comment

I like em.
                      (that's official South Bend Fairgrounds mud on the tires still).
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Michidan View Post
                        I like em.
                        (that's official South Bend Fairgrounds mud on the tires still).
                        Wow!!, more weight for traction and fins for straight line stability. IAC, they do look good.

Bob
                        , ,

Comment

The fins look good! Nice Car!
                          Randy Ridenour
                          Frostburg,MD
                          1964 GT Hawk
                          sigpic

Comment

Did the '52 use the same front spears as the '51? Or did the '52 front spears have short, pointed Lucite bullets with bulbs behind them to light them?

Comment

I always thought it would have been nice if Studebaker had furnished all of the State series with those rear fender ornaments as standard equipment. They do look great!

Comment

Working...
                              X