1959 Lark Backup Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Lark Backup Lights

HI, I just became the owner of a 1959 Lark Hardtop!

I just realized it doesnt have backup lights. I think those were optional for that model?

some questions:

1) Anyone have a set I can buy? Can be reproduction (but I doubt those exist)
    2) Where exactly should they be positioned? I want drill the holes correctly.

Thank you in advance

Welcome to the forum. Cool car, too!
    There are two different styles of back up lights for a 59 Lark. One is for a station wagon and will not fit properly on your hard top, so beware.

Here is the wrong one. The chrome is angled to match the angle of the tail gate. The ones for your car will have a chrome bezel that is much flatter than this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-61-62-S...ZYiUa6&vxp=mtr

There is also someone in the club who has all/most of the installation instructions, including where to drill the holes and connect the wires. Someone else will chime in and say who that is.

Many of the older cars had the backup light wired to the headlights, so backups only came on when the headlights were on. For modern use, I would wire them so they come on any time the car is in reverse. Modern drivers will appreciate this.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Here is what they SHOULD look like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	59 Regal VIII 4 Dr White1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1713470 Click image for larger version

Name:	59 Regal 4 Dr Blue3a.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1713471 Click image for larger version

Name:	60 Conv Yellow 6.jpg
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1713472 Click image for larger version

Name:	60 Hardtop Green2.jpg
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1713473
      They should straddle the Rear Panel to Fender Seam.
      All '59 to '61 Lark Non-Wagon backup Lights are the same and were optional and rarely ordered.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Be aware that the switches are different for automatic and standard shift.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks everyone-
          I will wait to hear back with someone who knows where to drill the holes.
          Next questions are:

1) Where can I find these lights (I will check Ebay of course unless there is somewhere better)
          2) I probably need the reverse light switch as well. Dont think that would be installed on the column already if this one didnt need it, right?
          3) to complicate things, I have a TH350 trans, so the shift points dont line up with the shifter points on the column. So Im going to have to figure that out...

Thanks for all the advice!

Comment

You should buy the body parts catalog and the chassis parts catalog for your car. They are full of illustrations showing all the parts and how they connect to the other parts, the correct name of the parts and the part numbers. Studebaker vendors use these part numbers to assure ordering and receiving the correct part.
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-27-2017, 12:43 PM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

You do or DID have the correct switch for the Automatic Trans. Neutral Switch and Backup Lights under the dash on the Column if the Car originally had Automatic Trans.
              Of course it may not work with a GM Trans.
              StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                You should buy the body parts manual and the chassis parts manual for your car. They are full of illustrations showing all the parts and how they connect to the other parts, the correct name of the parts and the part numbers. Studebaker vendors use these part numbers to assure ordering and receiving the correct part.
                There doesnt happen to be an online version of these books, does there?

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
                  There doesnt happen to be an online version of these books, does there?
                  Meaning no offense, if you think you might be a CASO, the books are also reproduced on a CD, which is cheaper. Once you use them a few times, you will be glad you purchased them.

CASO = cheap a$$ Studebaker owner. Some are proud to wear the badge.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                    Meaning no offense, if you think you might be a CASO, the books are also reproduced on a CD, which is cheaper. Once you use them a few times, you will be glad you purchased them.

CASO = cheap a$$ Studebaker owner. Some are proud to wear the badge.
                    HA! I like it.
                    I would likely use the digital version for research, and print out the pages I need to take to the garage. If its better to have the printed version, I can go ahead and order that.

Comment

They are the same, no need to spend the extra huge amount for 3 Books unless you have no Computer to view it, or like to have a impressive Library of Automotive Books!
                      StudeRich

Comment

The CDs are available from "Studebaker International" as well as many other sources.
                        http://www.studebakervendors.com/ will give you some idea of sources for Studebaker stuff.
                        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

...and there's a shop manual in the trunk. A bit tattered, but mostly there. :-)

Comment

Back to my original question: where can I purchase the light assemblies?

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
                              Back to my original question: where can I purchase the light assemblies?
                              The International meet is going on right at this minute in South Bend, Indiana. That's a good place to look. Since you are in L.A. you should check out the La Palma meet on Memorial day weekend. They have a big Studebaker car show and a swap meet of Studebaker parts right there during the show.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B45...dkV2lMTGs/view

http://studebakersla.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X