eBay : - 1964 Studebaker R2 Gran Turismo Super Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay : - 1964 Studebaker R2 Gran Turismo Super Hawk

Looks like another R2 equiped car on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142368943502

VIN 64V19830

I saw this car in Cortez, CO 2 years ago at a local car show. We were traveling across the country, towing our Studebaker behind the motorhome. We were one of five Studebakers, (had the 66 Daytona) in a 100 car show, and this 64 GT is everything that the ad says. I'm not really big on black cars, but I'd take this car in a heartbeat. Has to be one of the nicest 64's I've ever seen and the documentation is a big plus. I have no ties to this car, but just thought I'd pass on what I know about it. Owner was a heck of a nice guy too.
    The show was on a cloudy day and when the clouds started to look threatening, the owner fired it up and took it home before any raindrops fell.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

That is REALLY TOO BAD!

It just destroys the correctness of a really nice otherwise correct GT Hawk, when someone does not measure a correct Car or at least eyeball a Pic or something of a correct Decklid. before drilling Nameplate holes etc.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Not Jet Green1.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1713463 Click image for larger version

Name:	64 R2 Red7.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1713465

It does not take a Tape Measure to SEE that major error. > Click image for larger version

Name:	Black R2 PS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1713464
      Last edited by StudeRich; 05-02-2017, 06:35 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Another non-auction on an auction site. It does appear to be a great car with just a couple of exceptions.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yep. It is destroyed. Should just haul that old junker off to the crusher, recycle it into a Mitsubishi Mirage.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            Another non-auction on an auction site. It does appear to be a great car with just a couple of exceptions.
            Just like the gold Hawk emblem on the glove box lid instead of the correct chrome style - easy to correct for such a nice example of a '64 GT.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
            MELBOURNE.

Comment

Nice Hawk! I was confused about the "rare transistorized ignition system (updated to Mallory ignition by Petronix)". Was transistorized ignition an option in '64 and who was the company that made it?

Comment

Just completed the purchase of the 64 GT Hawk depicted herein. The owner, J Wayne McCarey, retired Colonel, USAF, and his lovely wife, Shirley, are simply wonderful and gracious people! Wayne had retained just about every original provenance item possible! Smooth transaction. I got in the car, fired her up, and drove 414 non- stop (2 refueling) miles to my residence. Ran like a top!
                Wayne had previously entered the "Super Hawk" in 37 shows and had received awards in 34 of them. The car was judged three times at the "Regional" or National levels. He received two seconds, and after 8 years of making corrections, finally received a "first" Surprisingly, at no time were points deducted for the "Gold" Hawk on the glove box!!

As a newbie to the site, I will be reading to learn more about these rather unique cars. BTW: My car was built on December 19, 1963, the second to the last Hawk to roll off the line. The last one no longer exists so Studebaker National Museum sends a letter telling Wayne that his car (now mine) is the last Hawk ever produced. Cool letter.

Rick

Comment

The chevron on the interior driver's side door panel should be red/white/blue and I don't think the "caution" decal should be on the fan shroud.

Peter Bishop
                  Director,
                  Northeast Zone

Comment

None the less, Beautiful example of a "Rare Bird" Nice find!

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

Rick: The letter you reference from the SNM is wrong. The very last Hawk built, serial # 64V-20197, produced on 12/20/63 does indeed still exist. It is unfortunate that some people make such erroneous statements, especially when they are in a position that many folks consider to be authoritative.

Comment

nevadarick, Congrats on a wonderful acquisition. It makes my original GT pale by comparison. I guess I have some serious work ahead.
                        Cheers, Bill

Comment

Absolutely correct. Wayne did receive point deductions for these items. I intend to correct them when able! Many thanks for the input.

Rick

Comment

If it does exist, where is it? Any documented evidence of its existence? I'm sure not disputing what you suggest; but, without documentation or substantiation, I obviously would tend to believe SNM!

Comment

As long as were discussing this car, I have a question. I've been told that anywhere from 5 to 17 examples of the 64 "Super Hawk" with the option 37--High Performance Package, still exist. Can anyone enlighten me on a more accurate number of the remaining cars and the basis for their opinion? Many thanks!

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X