No announcement yet.

eBay : - 1964 Studebaker R2 Gran Turismo Super Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's right, Rick. Probably half the Studes I see with them have them installed upside-down, left-on-right-side and vice-versa.

Studebaker Accessories brochures of the '60's show them always with the straight/flat edge on the bottom. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any pics of those particular pages in any of the brochures, online.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

There's a picture of door handle guard AC-2699 on page 13 of the Fred K. Fox article on the 1962 Gran Turismo Hawk in an old issue of Turning Wheels. (It notes that handle shown is pre-1961 style.). It apparently verifies Bill Pressler's contention that the straight part is at the bottom.

Excuse the poor quality of the photo. My page copy is not that good either.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	1713680

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
      That's right, Rick. Probably half the Studes I see with them have them installed upside-down, left-on-right-side and vice-versa.

Studebaker Accessories brochures of the '60's show them always with the straight/flat edge on the bottom. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any pics of those particular pages in any of the brochures, online.
      Bill L.
      1962 GT Hawk

Comment

If you want to get your car critiqued this is the place to get it, you must take in stride. I saw your car on ebay when it was first posted, I think you got a great buy, If I wasn't car poor and near retirement I would have bought it. Welcome to the forum

Originally posted by nevadarick View Post
        Hopefully, I have corrected and clarified my earlier "misstating of the SNM letter. Now, can anyone answer my question about the absolute/finite number of remaining GT full-package Hawks with the R-2 engine? Thanks and apologies for the wrongdoing,

Rick
        Mark Riesch
        New Bern, NC

Comment

Hopefully Rick isn't so thin-skinned. These are all things I'd want to know if I had just bought a car, and I saw many "beautiful car" comments here.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Bill and JB--thanks for the input and reply. Now, can anyone tell me just how many 1964 GT, R-2, full package cars are still around/in existence? I've heard between 5 and 17; but, that's a rather large gap!
            There is also a 'large gap' in condition, which leads one to say there is no up-to-the-minute finite number of survivors.

They range in condition from this one: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...yles&styleid=1

to this one: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-64-GT-project and this one: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-on-Craigslist

And there is (was) a former showcar rotting in the woods that probably has been parted out by now.

Craig
            Last edited by 8E45E; 05-18-2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Hey Guys;

I really appreciate the comments. Having practiced trial litigation and being "in the trenches" for more than 40 years, my hide is pretty tough. I'm not going to cry over being told that my door guards were installed the wrong way or that an interior emblem is backwards. To the contrary, I like knowing what is incorrect with my car so that I can remedy the issue. PLEASE, keep the comments coming. I love em!

I'm still trying to determine if there is a known number of surviving 1964 R2, "full package" cars remaining. I have no idea where certain dealers come up with their estimates of between 5 and 17!

Rick

Comment

I can post a few current pics of my 64 GT (and some of my other collectibles); but, don't know where or how to do it (if it can be done at all--newbie at work!)

Rick

Comment

Ok, OK, so I might never know how may of my car models might still exist. I went to place it on my Grundy Insurance policy (stated value) and they asked me what I thought the car was worth. I know what I paid for it; but, have NO idea as to the car's replacement or stated value. Any help out there?

Rick

Comment

I can post a few current pics of my 64 GT (and some of my other collectibles); but, don't know where or how to do it (if it can be done at all--newbie at work!)Rick
                    Welcome aboard, Rick; you do have a pretty car.

As for the door handle guards, it's easy to see how they should be installed if you consider their function. As someone approaches the car to open the door, their fingernails are more likely to strike above the door handle than below it. Therefore, the broader (wider) protective surface would go on top.

To post photos here, it is a good idea to open a Photobucket account. It's free. Post your photos to Photobucket and then copy the link to the appropriate photo, using the img tab they offer you. Paste the link here in your posting and it will appear as your photo when the post is opened.

As others have said, it is impossible to know how many are "left" of a given make or model. Is a stripped, rolled-over car that has rusted down to nothing at all, languishing in a northern, rust-belt junk yard, "left?" Probably, assuming the Serial Number plate is intact and readable, but how would you even find it, much less account for it? Other nice cars may be in collections not associated with Studebaker and unknown to the Studebaker world.

For example, the nicest collector car I own is my 1973 Mustang convertible with 17,902 actual miles on it as I type this. All original paint, and it is even sitting on all four production-line tires with the spare never down. But I've never belonged to a Mustang Club and if you asked 100 "Mustangers" in the Indianapolis area if they knew of the car, I doubt any of them do.

A friend of mine who was president of that club maybe 30 years ago asked me to show it as a "benchmark" at a major Mustang Club meet at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway back then and I did. But he was killed in a motorcycle accident (hit from behind by a drunk driver at 11 o'clock in the morning on a bright, sunny day!) shortly thereafter, so his knowledge of the car died with him. I don't know of anyone else who would remember it. (I bought it January 3, 1976. It turned 17,000 miles as I drove it home, so you can see that it doesn't get a lot of exposure!)

Anyway, welcome to SDC. That sure is a nice Hawk, but it is impossible to know how many are "left." BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                    X