eBay : - 1964 Studebaker R2 Gran Turismo Super Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nevadarick View Post
    If it does exist, where is it? Any documented evidence of its existence? I'm sure not disputing what you suggest; but, without documentation or substantiation, I obviously would tend to believe SNM!
    I will tell you, I know the owner and I know the car. Do not doubt that it does exist.

Comment

I have the original of the letter from SNM. I believe that Studebakercenteroforegon ( in a different post on the same subject matter) is correct. The letter reads, "There is no evidence that the one GT full-package Hawk with the R-2 engine survived that was manufactured after this (my car) R-2 full package Hawk. If that is indeed the case, this (my car) is----The last surviving GT full-package R-2 Hawk built at the Studebaker plant before it closed on 20 December 1963".

I hope this helps clear up any confusion. I'm an absolute newbie to the site and welcome all comments or remarks, critical or otherwise (as long as they are polite, please)

Comment

Hopefully, I have corrected and clarified my earlier "misstating of the SNM letter. Now, can anyone answer my question about the absolute/finite number of remaining GT full-package Hawks with the R-2 engine? Thanks and apologies for the wrongdoing,

Rick

Comment

Rick, a beautiful GT Hawk. Welcome to our world. As you said you would, take advantage of this forum. There is no end to what one can learn.
          Perry
          \'50 Business Champ,
          \'50 Starlight Champ,
          \'60 Lark Convertible,
          \'63 GT R1,
          \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Hello Rick, just some general info that might be of help to you. My R1 GT was built on December 20th, 1963, and you are reading the SNM letter correctly in it's statement that your R2 full package Superhawk is at this point the last one of this status to survive. The leading "expert" on all the "R" series cars built is George Krem, and hopefully he might chime in to give you more info. His cousin, Bob Palma, is also very knowledgeable with production orders. Glad to have you with us, enjoy that beautiful car. Bill

Comment

I own the first full package R2 GT off the production line for 1964 as validated by Bob Palma. My wife and I looked at the New York auto show car three years ago, it came off the assembly line the day after mine. It also was a full package car in Astra White. So the 1st and 2nd cars still exist
              It is an addiction!

Comment

Bill and JB--thanks for the input and reply. Now, can anyone tell me just how many 1964 GT, R-2, full package cars are still around/in existence? I've heard between 5 and 17; but, that's a rather large gap!

Rick

Comment

Beautiful Hawk, nevadarick! Congratulations!
                  -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
                  1960 Metropolitan Convertible
                  1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                  1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by nevadarick View Post
                    Bill and JB--thanks for the input and reply. Now, can anyone tell me just how many 1964 GT, R-2, full package cars are still around/in existence? I've heard between 5 and 17; but, that's a rather large gap!

Rick
                    I would guess the number to be closer to the 17 or more,two Bordeaux red and one Black one were at South Bend last week. Add the show car and one I know of in Texas and we get five not counting yours. As people age we will see more appear.. nice ride you purchased.
                    It is an addiction!

Comment

Unless a minuscule number of any particular model were produced, it would be impossible to accurately know how many still survive. They can be hidden away and only be known by one or two people or owned by people not associated with the Studebaker hobby.

Case in point, I was in NAPA about a decade ago getting a master cylinder for my '62 4x4. I ran into a local chapter member who has a '63 Avanti his mother bought new. As we were standing in the checkout line I looked out the front window and saw a black '63 GT Hawk. I loudly asked who owned the Studebaker and the man in front of me said it was his. So there were 3 Studebaker owners in line at the NAPA.

It turns out he bought the car new, he wanted an Avanti but his wife would not let him spend the money. He ended up getting a R-2 Hawk with 4 speed. He was not a SDC member and I have never seen the car again.

I have personally sent 4 Studebakers overseas so they can end up anywhere.
                      Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

My R1 was purchased with another 64 GT in a package deal. The other was a full package R2 that was built for the 64 auto show circuit. It was 1 of 7 GT show cars built for that purpose. I ended up selling it and it now resides in Oz, where it will be getting a thorough complete restoration. In doing research on it I found that James Bell in Washington state owns one and there is the one in New York. The count is adding up so who knows how many we'll end up with. Bill

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sprint Phone Photo's 076.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1713655This is my R2 full package 64 GT....otherwise known affectionately know as my problem child. Close to finally having her road worthy....I hope. S/N 64V11322
                          (If you really want an R2....I'd consider trading for a fully equipped A/C version?)
                          Lou Van Anne
                          62 Champ
                          64 R2 GT Hawk
                          79 Avanti II

Comment

Beautiful GT and I like the Aero Strut wheelcovers. The door handle guards are installed upside-down. Beautiful car nonetheless.
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

Hey Bill;

It must be my elderly eyes. I just looked at the Red R2, full package 64 GT in the post two above this one (several times, now). I just can't tell that the door handle guards are installed upside down on my car--they look the same as the Red one. Do you have pictures as to how they are suppose to look?

Thanks for any help,

Rick

Comment

Hey Bill;

having looked at many pictures of the door handle guards, I think you're right. The left was installed on the right side and the right on the left side. Because they can only go on one way, they are now upside down--correct?

Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X