1964 Daytona Hardtop Rescue Effort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Daytona Hardtop Rescue Effort

I've had this car for 30 years, so it's time to get it back on the road. This video was shot two days ago (Thursday), to give y'all a time reference. Lots done to it already, will update later this weekend.

Hope everyone enjoys the video, and will follow along on this project.

Advice and comments are always welcome!

Here is the link to the video, since it doesn't seem to be showing up below: https://youtu.be/zPaF82mxZSs

Last edited by r1lark; 06-09-2018, 02:40 PM. Reason: Added YouTube link since video is not appearing
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Looks like a real solid car and a great color combination. Air conditioning would make that car a great traveling machine.

Comment

always thought 4 speeds with bench seats were cool! cheers, junior
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
        The intent was always to convert this car to bucket seats, but maybe the bench should stay. Back in the day, I guess guys that had girlfriends liked the bench seat........
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Cool car, I'm looking forward to any updates you have.

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
            Cool car, I'm looking forward to any updates you have.
            What he said!

My total Stude dream list would include a '64 GT and a '64 Daytona hardtop..
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            (formerly Greenville, PA)
            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
            All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
              Agreed. This is a friends '64 hardtop with a split bench - rebuilt it the way he would have ordered back in the day - great car to drive. And in speaking with him, he remembers seeing a '64 convertible that had a 259 with a 4 speed...

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                The intent was always to convert this car to bucket seats, but maybe the bench should stay. Back in the day, I guess guys that had girlfriends liked the bench seat........
                In those days for most of us, "sex" meant a bit of smooching in the car. Bucket seats and floor shifters were definitely an impediment. I have owned a 62 Chevy convertible (with three speed on the column and bench seat) for 55 years that is indication of my skills with women in those days.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Wow, pretty!!

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                  Agreed. This is a friends '64 hardtop with a split bench - rebuilt it the way he would have ordered back in the day - great car to drive. And in speaking with him, he remembers seeing a '64 convertible that had a 259 with a 4 speed...

Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Sunday 4/30 Update

Progress over the last 4 days:
                    Got the front up on jackstands, and pulled off the front wheels/drums. Had high hopes after pulling the passenger side since the drum and shoes looked great. But the driver’s side – even though the drum turned freely – wouldn’t come off without backing off the adjuster.The drum had some light grooves in it, and the shoe had worn to match. Both drums measured just under 11”, so took the drums to get them turned. Haven’t measured them, but the guys at the shop said they took very little to cleanup. Pulled all the shoes, springs, adjusters, etc off and cleaned up the hardware. Had a new set of front (and rear if I need them) shoes, as well as bearings/races/seals, but didn’t have any wheel cylinders so those are on order.

Pulled off the metal brake lines to the front brakes, these will be replaced along with the hard lines to the rear brakes Of course the brake hoses will be replaced, and I have a set of these already.

Cleaned the grease and dirt from the front suspension components and greased the kingpins, outer pins, and tie rod ends. Everything took grease well, even up to the upper spindle bearings.

Noticed some play in the steering center pin assembly, but also noticed that the bellcrank arm was just shy of rubbing on the exhaust pipe crossover. Looked at the front motor mount insulators and they were squashed quite a bit. Had a new set, so put them in. Easier said than done – I think this was the first time I’ve replaced front mount insulators with the engine still in the car. Believe me, if you are pulling an engine, put new motor mount insulators in while it’s out – it’s a whole lot easier!

Anyway, ready to pull the center pin assembly off tomorrow when I get home from work. Yanked the radiator out (only 4 bolts, already had the hoses off) to make it easier to get to the bellcrank pinch bolt. Need to clean the crud off the crossmember first. I’ve forgotten how easy the ‘64s are to work on,especially when there is no power steering or air conditioning hung on the front of the motor. While the radiator is out, I’ll change the fuel pump with one that I rebuilt with a new “ethanol compatible” kit from Then and Now Automotive.
                    Last edited by r1lark; 10-15-2019, 03:21 PM.
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

How many miles on the car Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        How many miles on the car Paul?
                        Ed, it shows 78,297 but I don't have any way of knowing if that is correct, and if it's 78,000 or 178,000. Knowing that it has gained virtually no miles since the mid-1980s, I might suspect 78,000 but just don't know.

Got the center pin assembly out this morning, got it soaking in degreaser and will take it apart after lunch. Most likely needs a pin new bushings (which I have, but just have to find it).
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Tuesday 5/2 Update

Good day today. Cleaned the crud off the center crossmember, and got the center steering bellcrank out. (Had to make a new tool for pressing these '63-'66 bushings out, since they are a different OD than the '62 and earlier bearings.) Disassembled and cleaned it up, pressed in the new bushings, and set the endplay as close to zero as I could get. Note that these are genuine steel-backed Studebaker bushings, not the soft oiltite bushings (figure I'll get a few points from StudeRich on this ). By the way, I use an o-ring instead of the cork seal, works a lot better for me. You just have to choose the correct o-ring, then set the bushing down to the correct depth.

My new front wheel cylinders came in the mail today! Will be off again on Thursday, so can reinstall the center pin assembly, and get the front brakes together.

Here are a few pics. The first one is the old motor mount cushions compared to the new ones -- the old ones were really squashed, plus the drivers side had a bolt going all the way thru it! Got plenty of clearance now between the bellcrank and the exhaust crossover. The other pics are of the center pin assembly. Kinda boring pics, but all I have right now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04198.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	1713466

Name:	DSC04199.jpg
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	1713467

Name:	DSC04200.jpg
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	1713468

Name:	DSC04201.jpg
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1713469
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

I've seen pictures that are more boring than that...

Comment

Wow, really slow around here this week. Hard to believe almost everyone went to South Bend!

Here is an update video on the '64 Daytona. Been trying out adding some music to the videos, still have to fine tune the process .

EDIT: The embedded video has been removed so this thread will load quicker. Please go to this link to view video #2: https://youtu.be/4MFs_sqlMiE
                              Last edited by r1lark; 12-31-2017, 06:51 PM. Reason: remove embedded video so thread loads quicker
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Working...
                              X