1964 Daytona Hardtop Rescue Effort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Video - Assembling the T-10 Main Case

The next step in the reassembly of the T-10 4 speed is to install the main cluster and input shaft into the main case. Follow along as we complete this important step in the reassembly.

As always, comments are welcomed and encouraged. If you know of better ways to perform these steps, or if you spot something that is not correct, please comment.

Here is the link to the video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/TavYFWAUYAw

Click image for larger version

Name:	00387_Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1720896
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

• No, I haven't found one yet. I'm looking for an automatic so that narrows down the options available to me. I'd be looking for a "turn-key" car needing no major work on it, which narrows the options further. It's a matter of time, something will turn up eventually!

Comment

• Transmission is finally back in the car. I did find out that I can no longer bench press a T-10 4-speed while laying under the car on my back, actually had to get my neighbor to help me lift it up and slide it onto the lineup (headless) bolts.

Here is a pic of the tranny on the bench, assembled with the shifter on to get the shift rods adjusted:

Name:	DSC04796.jpg
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1721001
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

• Looking good, man!

Comment

• That shifter stick looks a bit like the ones used original in 60-61 Valiants (-62 had column shift), I understand now that I never seen a original Studebaker floorshift before.
            & yes: it sure looks good!
            sigpic

Josephine
            Champion V8
            4d sedan

Comment

• Thanks guys! Sometimes I wonder why I make the effort to make them pretty, since no one will see it unless they get under the car.

But, I do enjoy the effort. Despite the fact that I skinned/chipped up the pretty paint trying to get it in by myself. But being the anal person I am, it's touched up now.

Nox, that shifter is for use in a car with a bench seat, which is the way this Daytona was originally built. Right now it has split reclining bench seat in it, but it may end up with bucket seats in which case the shifter stick will be changed to a straight one.Thanks guys! Sometimes I wonder why I make the effort to make them pretty, since no one will see it unless they get under the car.

The transmission is all hooked up, shifter in, shift rods on, speedo cable hooked up, driveshaft in, and the Red Line fluid in it. And, got one side of the exhaust on the car before it started thundering and lightening.
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

• I just got done putting a '63 T-10 into my '60 Lark; I used a competition plus Hurst & have issues with the shift rods & speedo cable - now I see why! Those rods! Going to investigate an offset adapter or a right angle one hopefully...
                Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                Transmission is finally back in the car. I did find out that I can no longer bench press a T-10 4-speed while laying under the car on my back, actually had to get my neighbor to help me lift it up and slide it onto the lineup (headless) bolts.

Here is a pic of the tranny on the bench, assembled with the shifter on to get the shift rods adjusted:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73094[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Yes, I know the shifter is for bench seat, that's why it's bended the way it is, I'm a bit of a "old-time-shift-nerd" & wanna have a Hurst in Josephine because of memories of them... (There was a G.T. Hawk at the (big Swedish Studebaker-) meeting just this weekend with a Hurst & I wanted to take a picture of it but forgot.)
                  & as for painting where nobody can see it; I paint everything I've been at even under Josephine, & later on I hope to do the whole underside, but so far it's only the welded places & master brake cylinder & such that's red.
                  Keep on, it's inspiring!
                  sigpic

Josephine
                  Champion V8
                  4d sedan

Comment

• 4-Minute Update Video!

A short 4 minute video before we get the Studebaker Rescue 1964 Daytona down off the jackstands. Follow along as we crawl under the car and look at what has been done underneath, and take a quick look under the hood.

The last installments of the 4-speed assembly will be out soon, so stay tuned.

Keep your fingers crossed that the car starts right up and runs well after all this work........and that the T-10 shifts smoothly with no noise!!

Here is the link to the video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/ZSvugSFf-Rg
                    Please share with your friends, and please comment!

Following is before and after pictures of under the hood:

Name:	Title2.jpg
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	1721110
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

• Above the rear axle diff. did I see a bracket for a rubber stop?

Comment

• Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
                        Above the rear axle diff. did I see a bracket for a rubber stop?
                        I was wondering if anyone would notice that missing . Got to place an order with SI tomorrow, and that's one of the items.
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

• With such a good engine compartment restoration, how about getting a correct radiator cap for it? That is first thing that I noticed in the underhood picture and I would take an authenticity point off for that .
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• Well, we will say it's a later model Avanti cap .

Seriously, as mentioned in the video, this is not a 'restoration'. The plans are to drive this car to Arizona from North Carolina on a "road trip adventure" so certain things are being upgraded. The radiator cap is one, the stainless worm drive hose clamps are another. And there will also be an aluminum radiator and a small unobtrusive front air dam, so don't look at any of those pictures once they get installed!

The car also has (horrors) radial tires and Ford Ranger wheels!!
                            Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

• Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                              Well, we will say it's a later model Avanti cap .

Seriously, as mentioned in the video, this is not a 'restoration'. The plans are to drive this car to Arizona from North Carolina on a "road trip adventure" so certain things are being upgraded. The radiator cap is one, the stainless worm drive hose clamps are another. And there will also be an aluminum radiator and a small unobtrusive front air dam, so don't look at any of those pictures once they get installed!

The car also has (horrors) radial tires and Ford Ranger wheels!!
                              Yes, I understand all of that and appreciate your effort. However, the "later model Avanti cap" will not fly.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• I think it's really neat!
                                "Not the best video" depends on what you're comparing with, I was able to see it all, even the swaybar.
                                I bet it'll be nice to start driving soon, right?

(Josephine has being grumpy lately by overheating as soon as we're in city-trafic, this evening after work I removed the thermostat & wired up a manual switch for the electric fan...)
                                sigpic

Josephine
                                Champion V8
                                4d sedan

Comment

Working...
                                X