Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
    Neat!

(My Mopar engine's got a separate shaft with the oildrive under the distrubuter shaft & with those out I've just made a long shaft that fits in the slot.)
    Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
    I have ground down the end of long piece of rebar or all tread to prime the oiling system. But you use what you got.
    There are a lot of different ways to skin a cat.

I enjoy making special 'tools' for working on old cars. Just because Studebaker (or Kent-Moore) made a special tool one way doesn't mean there aren't five other ways to do it.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Yep! & I always find it interesting to see how others do it, I like your idea.
      sigpic

Josephine
      Champion V8
      4d sedan

Comment

Well, no videos lately since I have been having 'technical difficulties'. Anyone using an easy-to-learn video editor that can speed up sections of a video, and easily add music to sections? If so, please let me know what it is.

Finally got the exhaust system all mocked up, but before I install it with gaskets and clamps, we have to make sure the rear sway bar setup will fit and not interfere with the exhaust. On my '63 R1 Daytona hardtop, the rear tailpipes come very close to the pipes. I think I tweaked the exhaust system for the '64 enough to provide some extra clearance, but want to make sure. All the parts for the swaybar setup have already been cleaned up and painted, but I did not have the 'adapter' plates that are used on the Larks. Back in the '80s when we were collecting rear sway bar setups, most of them came from under '57 President Classics and Packards. These didn't use the adapter plates like the Larks, so I've had to whip up 'reproductions' of these. Not hard, if you have the right size flat bar.

Following are some pics of the swaybar setup:

Swaybar from a '57 President Classic before cleaning and painting:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04425 resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	1720031

Here are the links, metal sleeves for the link bushings, and the special washers blasted and ready for priming:

Name:	DSC04427 resized.jpg
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	1720038

Original adapter plate sample, the pieces of flatbar that will be drilled/tapped, and the dimensional locations of the holes:

Name:	DSC04724 resized.jpg
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1720032

Drilling the holes in both plates to save time:

Name:	DSC04727 resized.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1720033

Tapping the holes:

Name:	DSC04728 resized.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1720034

Adapter plates finished, including chamfering the holes, ready for paint:

Name:	DSC04729 resized.jpg
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	1720035

Adapter plates painted, and hanging up to dry (with the sway bar and links which were previously painted):

Name:	DSC04730 resized.jpg
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	1720036

Small parts, bushings, bolts, etc ready to go:

Name:	DSC04731 resized.jpg
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	1720037

Since the car is outside on jackstands, as soon as the rain and snow stops (maybe Monday) I'll get the swaybar installed. For those who wonder where the special spring U-bolt plates are that have the extra 'ear' for the swaybar links to attach to.........those are already on the car.

More to follow.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Putting the Engine Back In - Studebaker Rescue 1964 Daytona

Getting the engine back into the 'Studebaker Rescue' 1964 Daytona hardtop. This video was shot quite a while back, but technical issues with the video editing had to be resolved (in other words, find a video editor that some fat old guy could use that didn't take months to learn). This is my first video with music, and the first with fast forwarding in certain boring sections. Enjoy, and please comment.......and share with your friends.

In the meantime, we have been working on the exhaust and the 4-speed rebuild. Video to follow on the 4-speed.

Remember, this is my first experiment with music, and in some of the sections the music is too loud in comparison to the talking. Hopefully I'll improve in future videos, but if you have any advice please comment.

Here is the link to the video on our YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/wr_1OZrgmUc

Name:	00352_Capture1 modified.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1720117
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Nice one!
            I know the feeling of bad ground, I'm in a dirty-dusty-earth-floor barn, put'n plates under any & all stuff with small wheels... & you do NOT wanna drop a oily washer so ofcourse I do.
            Last edited by Noxnabaker; 03-29-2018, 02:21 PM.
            sigpic

Josephine
            Champion V8
            4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
              Nice one!
              I know the feeling of bad ground, I'm in a dirty-dusty-earth-floor barn, put'n plates under any & all stuff with small wheels... & you do NOT wanna drop a oily washer so ofcourse I do.
              Nox, I do enjoy working outside on a car, but sometimes there are side effects for sure! Climbing under, out from under, and under a car again and doing that about 50 times a day does keep you young however. I've threatened to get a 4-post lift, but my garage is not quite tall enough. when I built it, I put it on three rows (high) of concrete block, but it needs another two or 3 rows to raise the building up. That wouldn't be too awful hard, but to jack the building up I would have to take everything off the shelves and everything out from the rafters - that would be the hard part.

Glad you are watching the videos - thanks!
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

After a couple of weeks in Arizona, plus working quite a bit (more than I really want to ), we can get back to videos. There is enough film for several videos.

Here is the first one, the final disassembly steps on the T-10 tranny. Stay tuned for more.

Link: https://youtu.be/Z0EXtLNZ8Cs

Name:	Video 32 intro pic.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1720746
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Here is a video covering the repairs to the BW T-10 4 speed rear extension housing -- repairing the shifter bolt threads by installing inserts; removing the old rear bushing; and installing the new rear bushing and seal.

Link to video: https://youtu.be/OHbh_MwfvkE

Name:	00362_Capture.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1720814
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Here is a quick video that shows the parts (both original cleaned & inspected, as well as the new/NOS parts) ready for reassembly.

Link to video: https://youtu.be/IIH-vXdEl8Q

As you can expect, there is a time gap between getting things done and then putting the videos together. We have had so much rain lately that painting the transmission has not been possible (since I need to paint outside to keep fumes from drifting upstairs into our living area). Hopefully either this afternoon or tomorrow (Memorial Day) I can get it painted.

Name:	00375_Capture.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1720824
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

• Painted........Shiney!

The weather held off enough to get the T-10 primed and painted yesterday afternoon. Pics are below. Today's tasks will be to get the shifter arms & side cover installed, clean up the shifter, replace the shifter handle with the NOS one, and get it bolted (temporarily) to the transmission to adjust the shift rods.

Next video this evening, it's uploading to YouTube now -- Part I of the reassembly.

Enjoy the pics......

Name:	DSC04783.jpg
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1720837

Name:	DSC04785.jpg
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	1720838
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

• I've been watching - and commenting occasionally - on YouTube. Man, you do good work! Thanks for all the pics and vids. Really amazing to see something like this come together over time. Wish I had the mechanical skill and knowledge you have. Keep up the good work!

Comment

• I was baffeled by the light blue primer & thought it would've been real naughty-cool with that color on engine & gearbox...
                          But that's me.
                          (I'm also a bit into "gearboxing" now; I need to find out how the 4 wires should be connected from the overdrive, it's a MoPar A500.)
                          & by the way, can't hold it secret anymore: Josephine passed the test & swallows the miles now!
                          sigpic

Josephine
                          Champion V8
                          4d sedan

Comment

• Thanks StoneDog! I haven't had as much time to work on it as had hoped. Best laid plans and all that. Sometimes I wonder if anyone is really watching these videos, so we do appreciate the comments! By the way StoneDog, I've noticed thru some of your posts that it seems you have been looking to buy a Studebaker (or another Studebaker). Have you gotten one yet?

Nox, the primer is actually light grey but looking at the picture again does seem to have a blue tint. Glad you have Josephine back on the road! Send Jeff Rice some more pics and info to post on the Studebaker Racing site -- we have noticed that we haven't seen any updates lately.
                            Last edited by r1lark; 05-28-2018, 02:08 PM.
                            Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

• T-10 4-speed Reassembly Video Part 1

Here is the first (finally) reassembly video for the Studebaker Rescue '64 Daytona hardtop's T-10 4 speed. This one deals with reassembly of the mainshaft - installing the gears, synchros, bearing, bearing retainer, and speedo gear.

We welcome comments - please leave them on the YouTube page, or here.

Link to video: https://youtu.be/ph_--9SaU3w

Name:	00378_Capture.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1720844
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

• Okidoki Paul, many things happening now, I thought I did send Jeff mail...
                                Thanx for reminding me!
                                sigpic

Josephine
                                Champion V8
                                4d sedan

Comment

Working...
                                X